Windows 10: "How do you want to open this file?" keeps popping up despite default!

Discus and support "How do you want to open this file?" keeps popping up despite default! in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; As above - I've been using Win 10 x64 for sometime already. Recently, however, I keep encountering this issue. The dialog box pops up and asks me what... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by tententwenty, Dec 13, 2015.

1. "How do you want to open this file?" keeps popping up despite default!

As above - I've been using Win 10 x64 for sometime already. Recently, however, I keep encountering this issue. The dialog box pops up and asks me what program I want to use even though I've already set the defaults. It remembers the app once and forgets once I shut down the computer.

Any remedy for this issue?

:)

tententwenty, Dec 13, 2015
  2. Deni J Win User

How do you want to open this file? dialog box keeps apearing even though edge is default

I have a rather strange error in IBM Notes 9.0.1 when you try to open an attachment it keeps popping up a dialog box "How do you want to open this file?" If I open pdf from explorer it opens it straight away in edge unless pdf is on a network drive then
    edge produces an error.

If I go to default programs and select adobe acrobat reader DC as the default for opening pdf it doesn't keep popping up the dialog box if I go back and make Microsoft edge default for opening PDF it is the same result it keeps popping up every time.

Is this error in Windows 10 or is this error in IBM Notes 9.0.1. ?

I have also tried opening a jpeg file from IBM Notes 9.0.1 and it pops up every time same dialog box if a change the default to say paint or picture viewer it opens with the file straight away without this prompt.

So is this IBM Notes error or Microsoft error.

Thank you

"How do you want to open this file?" keeps popping up despite default! [​IMG]

Deni J, Dec 13, 2015
  3. RyanHall2 Win User
    Disable "How do you want to open this file?"

Thank you for your reply. This does not solve the issue. Adobe Acrobat DC is set for the default app to open .pdf files but when opening PDF attachments from MS Outlook, we get the pop up. Also when saving as a PDF from Word or Excel, it wants to open
    the PDF when the conversion is complete, and asks which program to open with. If I open a PDF from a folder, it does not pop up asking which program to use.

RyanHall2, Dec 13, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

"How do you want to open this file?" keeps popping up despite default!

Hi, does this happen if you set up a new user profile and use that?

And do you have either restore points or a disk image prior to the problem occurring?

I'll presume you clicked 'Always use this app...' at the bottom of the drop down from 'Open with'

dalchina, Dec 13, 2015
  5. Hi,

No I don't have new user profiles - always the same old, 1-account admin account.

No I don't keep images, because that would typically retain any malware/virus that comes along with it.

tententwenty, Dec 14, 2015
  6. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

I suspect your changes aren't saved properly due to "Fast Start Up" being active.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 14, 2015
  7. dalchina New Member
    Umm.. the idea of disk imaging is to restore to a prior condition. Now granted, if a virus were present when you created the image, it still would be. Most people would normally create an image when their system is believed working well, e.g. prior to a big update.

Imaging is strongly recommended here.. without it, you can end up with
    - an unbootable unrestorable system and nowhere to go but a clean install
    - needing detailed help to recover from a problem (if it's feasible) possibly leading to huge downtime and complex analysis.
    - not being able to recover from a failed hard drive- if your hard drive fails you can clone your configuration to a new one.

And using imaging enables you to upgrade your hard drive easily.

dalchina, Dec 14, 2015
  8. "How do you want to open this file?" keeps popping up despite default!

I sometimes get the same problem, but have had Fast Start disabled from Day 1.

Whoever decided this should be the default was an idiot.

nigelmercier, Dec 14, 2015
  9. dalchina New Member
    Hi, please can the posters with this problem clearly say how they are setting defaults.

Note that setting defaults from within programs (even when this is apparently available within and offered by the program) is not supported by Windows (certainly 10, and I think from 8).

The only ways to set defaults are:
    - via Settings
    - via the 'old' control panel
    - via rt click 'Open With' 'Choose Another App' and the confirmatory tick box 'Always use this app'.

dalchina, Dec 14, 2015
  10. 1nitram2 Win User
    Using 10240 the 'Always use this app' did not stick, either of the other two did, so I set associations manually.

10586 brought the problem back, no big deal when you know what to do.

1nitram2, Dec 14, 2015
  11. dalchina New Member
    Just wondering: Is your profile admin or standard? Mine is admin, and 'Always use this app' works for me.

dalchina, Dec 14, 2015
  12. dalchina New Member
    Which file type(s) have you been changing?
    What happens if you (e.g.) swap txt between wordpad and notepad?

Noted that from the CP 'associate a file type or protocol' => the same (or similar) dialogue to that used in 'Open with' to choose the program. Is that how you set the association manually?

It may be that if the file types you are dealing with are somehow associated with a program that reasserts what it thinks are its defaults if they are not when run, that might give rise to some odd symptoms. A wild guess.

It would seem unlikely that the changes made to the registry are not being saved and lost on restart, as why should that apply to file type associations and nothing else?

I would suggest trying this in
    a. Safe Mode - change and restart to safe mode, check again.
    If that works:
    b: repeat with a clean boot
    If that works,
    c. continue with a process of elimination.

dalchina, Dec 14, 2015
  13. 1nitram2 Win User

Unless I go
    settings|system|default apps|associate file types with specific apps
    and associate the extension the change does not stick and I get the 'open with' dialogue for all extensions.

I'm happy as it is as I know how to fix it, not bothered about the academics, it's in the list of things to look at when 16mm arrives.

1nitram2, Dec 14, 2015
  14. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I've just solved a problem with not being able to set a default for jpg.
    First I noted that icons on my desktop and taskbar started flashing. Strange. Eventually I realised that
    a. If I had a jpg showing in explorer the flashing started.
    b. I could not change the default for jpg.
    c. The icons were flashing with a settings dialogue open
    d. If I tried to set the default, the correct program would open once, but the icon shown for jpg had not changed.

This registry entry was the culprit:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.jpg\UserChoice]
    "Hash"="MFyx6BY+Xpk="
    "ProgId"="PhotoPlus File"
    "PhotoPlus File Backup"="FastStone.jpg"

When I deleted it and restarted, all was fine.
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-un...sion-windows-7
    refers

However, it's not clear to me that that's the problem in your case, unfortunately.

Also came across some interesting info on why the list of programs available to be assigned as default is limited. And since Win 8/10 prevent you from using a program's own GUI to define associations now, that means setting each separate association for a program not listed in CP\Default Programs\Set your default programs requires each single file association to be set individually. How very convenient, methinks.

dalchina, Dec 20, 2015
  15. Faslane Win User
    Hey all, when I double click a file like a word doc, .txt doc etc Win 10 keeps asking me if I want to open this file? I can uncheck the box that says always ask, but then when I go to open it again it asks again. Can I somehow edit resistry or something else so Win 10 will jsust open it without asking?? It's drivinf me nuts asking me every single time.....this is silly...

Thank You.

Faslane, Apr 20, 2016
Thema:

1. "How do you want to open this file?" keeps popping up despite default! - Similar Threads - open file keeps

2. "How do you want to open this file?" window keeps poping up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "How do you want to open this file?" window keeps poping up: This is an issue that affects mainly PDF files, although it occasionally appears with other file formats as well. It started some time ago with an update and is really irritating. Let's take it from the beginning: This is a Windows 10 system, with all the updates. Adobe...
  3. "How do you want to open this file?" window keeps poping up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "How do you want to open this file?" window keeps poping up: This is an issue that affects mainly PDF files, although it occasionally appears with other file formats as well. It started some time ago with an update and is really irritating. Let's take it from the beginning: This is a Windows 10 system, with all the updates. Adobe...
  4. "How do you want to open this file?" window keeps poping up

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Pop up "How do you want to open this file?"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pop up "How do you want to open this file?": Since a few days, whenever I turn on my pc this pop up always come.It says, "How do you want to open this file?" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pop-up-how-do-you-want-to-open-this-file/747ed767-c458-4d29-8fb9-c4e944d0e74e
  6. Pop up "How do you want to open this file?"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pop up "How do you want to open this file?": Since a few days, whenever I turn on my pc this pop up always come.It says, "How do you want to open this file?" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pop-up-how-do-you-want-to-open-this-file/747ed767-c458-4d29-8fb9-c4e944d0e74e
  7. Pop up "How do you want to open this file?"

8. How do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do you want to open this file?: Every time after booting my desktop, this "How do you want to open this file?" message appears. I have no clue, what kind of file this message talking about. Help me out.[IMG]...
  9. endlessly battling "how do you want to open this file" pop up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    endlessly battling "how do you want to open this file" pop up: How do you want to open this file????? I don't know because the list of programs that are presented to me have no effect on resolving the issue, I have really no idea what file it is trying to open, i just know that it is completely random in it's coming, and the only way to...
  10. How do you want to open this?" pop up dialogue box problem

How do you want to open this?" pop up dialogue box problem: When I type in url box in any browser or in any application, i get this "How do you want to open this?" pop up dialogue box and I have to click somewhere to continue. The dialogue box literally pops up every time I type a letter. I do not have this problem when using on...