Windows 10: "How do you want to open this file?" upon login

Discus and support "How do you want to open this file?" upon login in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On about 5 computers in my department we are receiving the following message when users login: [img] I checked the registry and the startup... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dsandelli, May 11, 2016.

1. dsandelli Win User

"How do you want to open this file?" upon login

On about 5 computers in my department we are receiving the following message when users login:

"How do you want to open this file?" upon login [​IMG]

I checked the registry and the startup folder and nothing.

Any ideas??

:)

dsandelli, May 11, 2016
  2. Lyron Tra Win User

Windows 10 prompt "How Do You Want To Open This File"

Hi Bob,

Upon doing a research, the best resolution for your concern is to follow the steps provided by

Hetti Arachchige V Aravinda

Let us know how it goes.

Lyron Tra, May 11, 2016
  3. "How do you want to open this"

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your time and effort.

Which file you are trying to open?

Depending upon file type, you need to select the default program, for example, if you want to open any web file, you can select Internet Explorer from the default program, so whenever you save any web file it will always open in Internet Explorer as default,
    to do that, try the below steps:

a. Press Windows key +X.

b. Click on Control Panel.

c. Click on default programs.

d. Click on set your default programs.

e. It will show you to list, according to file time, you can select the default program.

Also try this article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/set-program-access-computer-defaults

I hope it helps. Please let us know the results. Feel free to write us back for any further assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Shubham Chaubey, May 11, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

It's most probably trying to open a PDF file, judging by the fact that Adobe Reader is shown as first choice. To find out which file it is, select Adobe Reader and click OK. If nothing happens, sign out / sign in and this time select Internet Explorer.

It's then easier to stop that file trying to open when you know which file it is.

5. dsandelli Win User
    I tried that and nothing ever opens. I tried with each application.

dsandelli, May 11, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, May 11, 2016
  7. dsandelli Win User
    dsandelli, May 11, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Have you worked thru the section before labelled 27?
    Autoruns (free) is a good tool to examine start entries - you can search them all.

dalchina, May 11, 2016
  9. dsandelli Win User
    I was able to figure out that this is the file that it's looking for but I can't find it in task manager or the registry to delete it. UGH!

"How do you want to open this file?" upon login [​IMG]

dsandelli, May 11, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...9-5c4538cc1593

Read down ignoring all the instructions until you get to

I've found where the rthdvcpl.exe program is being started.
    Lenovo has added a scheduled task.
    So if you want to maintain all your programs when upgrading to W10 and want to solve the popup box, you can access your system scheduled tasks and disable the one named "realtekHDAudio" that is calling "c:\program files\realtek\audio\hda\rthdvcpl.exe -s".
    Just go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Task Scheduler and disable it.
    Hope it helps.

Is yours a Lenovo? Often helps to complete your system specs..

dalchina, May 11, 2016
  11. dsandelli Win User
    That worked great - that was the problem - task scheduler. Thank you!!!!

And yes, I have a Lenovo but I didn't complete the system specs because my department has multiple brands.

dsandelli, May 11, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Great-- I'd come across that in looking at possible causes.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. "How do you want to open this file?" upon login - Similar Threads - open file upon

2. how do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do you want to open this file?: every day at 8:00 PM i get a pop up how do you want to open this file? its very annoying how do i get it to stop showing up every day submitted by /u/JamesLPYT [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/v5q11h/how_do_you_want_to_open_this_file/
  3. How do you want to open this file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do you want to open this file: Hello all, Earlier I installed WPS and then I uninstalled it later. But some of it's files are still in the PC which is very annoying. For better reference to the problem I am attaching the screenshot. [ATTACH]...
  4. how do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how do you want to open this file?: there was a option saying "update" when i was trying to open a capture, when i updated it the option for how do you want to open this file? went away, but im still confused on that "update" option, what was it? submitted by /u/BlankInsanity [link] [comments]...
  5. How do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you want to open this file?: Hi guys, I'm getting rather annoyed at this but hopefully somebody will be able to explain how to solve it.... When I try and open an "image file" (jpeg, png etc) i get the classic pop up "how do you want to open this file" I Cannot go past this point. I have selected...
  6. How do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do you want to open this file?: Hi guys, I'm getting rather annoyed at this but hopefully somebody will be able to explain how to solve it.... When I try and open an "image file" (jpeg, png etc) i get the classic pop up "how do you want to open this file" I Cannot go past this point. I have selected...
  7. How do you want to open this file?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do you want to open this file?: Every time after booting my desktop, this "How do you want to open this file?" message appears. I have no clue, what kind of file this message talking about. Help me out.[IMG]...
  8. How do you want to open this file

How do you want to open this file: when i try to open .cfg file it asks me every time "How do you want to open this file", i set notepad and it don't save this app as the application in which it must to open. And whey i again try to open this .cfg file windows again asks me "How do you want to open this...
  9. "How do you want to open this file?"

"How do you want to open this file?": This pops up on my computer randomly, but generally every 5 to 10 minutes. It disappears on mouse click, but is annoying. Especially if in the middle of some work. See the attached screen shot. I have read through many posts regarding a variation of this popup that includes...
  10. How do you want to open this file ?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    How do you want to open this file ?: When ever I try to download a program and I was an exe. file I never just get a run button so I can simply install the program but a box pops up saying "how do you want to open this file? " with the options of: Internet Explorer Notepad Office XML Handler Paint Windows...