Windows 10: How do you widen the left side of start menu?

Discus and support How do you widen the left side of start menu? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Well with windows 10 and all of it's new and in a lot of cases annoying features is the new start menu layout where the important part of the start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Sketch, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Sketch Win User

How do you widen the left side of start menu?

Well with windows 10 and all of it's new and in a lot of cases annoying features is the new start menu layout where the important part of the start menu is thin as hell and the right side is unimportant.

So how does one make the left side wider so it will list full names and whatnot of things

Thankies

Ben

:)

Sketch, Nov 26, 2015
  2. Jessen P Win User

How do I add apps to the left side of the Start Menu in Windows 10?

Hi David,

The left side of the new "Start Button Utility" is actually comprised of two pieces (not counting the right side).

Recent Items and Start Menu. Recent items, speaks for itself and we all pretty much no how that works (similar to jump lists).

The two ways that seem easy (and there are no doubt, more) is to locate the files executable (not the shortcut the actual executable) left click and drag it onto the start menu icon (bottom left corner of the screen) and let it go.

The other way is to select the icon from the all apps menu and this is really cumbersome, left click and drag it onto the back button and then onto where you want it in the start menu.

Thank you.

Jessen P, Nov 26, 2015
  3. How do I add apps to the left side of the Start Menu in Windows 10?

As of the current Windows 10 version, I am unable to add any software to the left side of the Start Menu unless it is in the Most Used or Recently Added sections (neither of which are used).

DavidJones1971, Nov 26, 2015
  4. How do you widen the left side of start menu?

You make a suggestion in Windows Feedback, is how.

fracking4oil, Nov 26, 2015
  5. Sketch Win User
    So you're telling me that even with the whole beta n everything they never got a let us customize the start menu properly req?
    And that no third party has gone and fixed it by now?
    Really?

Sketch, Nov 26, 2015
  6. you grab it by the right side and pull.

lopedoggie, Nov 26, 2015
  7. I'm sure it has been suggested, but it hasn't been implemented as of yet. I don't know about third party apps; I like the Start Menu in Win 10 so I haven't even looked at third party apps.

He wants to extend the left side, not the right.

fracking4oil, Nov 26, 2015
  8. Sketch Win User

Also my feedback option is dead as I removed it among other useless things like onedrive as I prefer lighter o.s's without unwanted products "built in" (was kinda easy to find guides to remove all the spammy apps)

So the whole feedback them thing not an option

Sketch, Nov 26, 2015
  9. Sketch Win User
    Yeah this guy is right I want the actual start menu extended sideways not the live tiles which I have turned off as they're more of a tablet thing than a pc user thing.

Also you're not even a little bit unhappy with the fact that it cuts off so many names in the actual start menu part of it?

Sketch, Nov 26, 2015
  10. SonicBlue Win User
    If you like the XP or Vista or 7 startmenu, you can dl ClassicShell.

SonicBlue, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How do you widen the left side of start menu? - Similar Threads - widen left side

2. How to move Windows 11 Start Menu to left side

in Windows 10 News
    How to move Windows 11 Start Menu to left side: [ATTACH]A new startup menu with a new taskbar interface has been launched with the latest Windows version. The default position of the taskbar on Windows 11 is at the center of the screen. Some of the users are enjoying this new change, but many face issues with working with...
  3. How to access left side of Start menu using keyboard?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to access left side of Start menu using keyboard?: Earlier today my mouse suddenly quit working. It's wireless, but the battery was fine, and apparently Windows just lost track of it it has a tendency to lose track of other USB devices quite regularly. I figured a restart would probably solve the problem, and I managed to...
  4. Adding custom folders to left side of start menu

Adding custom folders to left side of start menu: Hi, I was wondering if there was a way of adding custom folders instead of download , music etc folders on left of start menu. I have tried kinda everything from personalize settings and start settings. but nothing seems to work out. Thank you for your help....
  5. Pin to left side of Start Menu Achieved

Pin to left side of Start Menu Achieved: 1) Browse to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu Places 2) Rename one of the existing folders there to what folder you want it to be 3) Right-click > Properties to said folder and set new destination folder address 4) Go to Settings App > Personalization > Start >...
  6. Pin down shortcuts on the left side of the start menu

Pin down shortcuts on the left side of the start menu: I did an upgrade from win 7 to 10. Some glitches, but nothing I can handle. But i didn't like when u pin down a short cut on the start menu, it went to right. I want some program to pin down on the leftside, like win7. Is't possible to do that on win10? 14515
  7. Customize the left side of the Start menu - Pin to Start List?

Customize the left side of the Start menu - Pin to Start List?: hello. I wanted to add some programs to the top of the left side of the start menu (free space on the screenshoot). I have read about the "Pin to Start List" if you rightclick while holding shift. But this seems not to be working anymore!?!?! Is there another possibility...
  8. Left-hand side start menu true customisation?

in Windows 10 Support
    Left-hand side start menu true customisation?: Hey guys, back in the good old days of W7, you could pin an application to the start menu and it would appear on the left hand side and it would also offer a list of recently opened things within that application as a right arrow for ease of selection. For example,...
  9. Pinning items to left side of Start Menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    Pinning items to left side of Start Menu?: ....referring to the huge blank space Microsoft has provided on the left side of the start menu below the "most used" programs and above the folders selected in the Personalization/Start settings. Is this not customizable? Or has anyone figured out a workaround for this...
  10. Expand the start menu (left side)

in Windows 10 Support
    Expand the start menu (left side): Perhaps I'm missing something but can the left side (non tiled side) of the start menu be expanded? If so, how? [img] I kind of find it a bit annoying that I can't expand that side out a little so I can easily read item titles. Thanks. 24456