Windows 10: How does a browser injected coin miner work?

Discus and support How does a browser injected coin miner work? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I seem to have fell prey to a website that had either intentionally or unintentionally been injected with a coin miner. I first noticed high CPU temps... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Kol12, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Kol12 Win User

How does a browser injected coin miner work?

I seem to have fell prey to a website that had either intentionally or unintentionally been injected with a coin miner. I first noticed high CPU temps and thought my CPU cooler had failed. Then I found Chrome's high CPU utilization in Task Manager and then the culprit website through Chrome's own task manager.

Is this a form of malware? Does it infect the machine permanently? Or is it's focus to gain your system resources rather than personal information? Access to one's PC in any form is not good in my book. None of my AV mitigation's detected the miner.

Are there any mitigation's that can be put in place to protect ourselves from such breaches? I'm surprised that Chrome does not have a lock on this behavior yet. Appreciate any assistance *Mad

:)

Kol12, Mar 28, 2018

2. Win 10 10586 Remote Desktop intermittantly won't connect from Win 7

I think I have narrowed this problem down to a command I use to run a cryptocurrency Miner for NVidia called ccminer21. I use it to mine coins. In order to get the miner to start while in a Remote Session to the PC, I use a command "tscon 2 /dest:console
    & ccminer21.exe" to run it, and also with Administrator rights. This allows me to run the miner while in a Remote session. On 10240, there were no problems.

In 10586, it seems that it will allow me to run the ccminer21 without directing it to the console. But, when I attempt to log back onto the PC, it won't allow me. The fix is to run it with Administrator rights, that way it's not running in my login session,
    it's running with elevated rights, and allows me to login again. So the fix is to always run in Administrator rights. Not sure why it is different in the 10586.

I also have to use an older version of the Nvidia drivers, the newer drivers are much slower mining the coins. I have contacted Nvidia, and have not received any advice, or comment on that problem. I just run the older drivers and that fixes that particular
    problem.

Charger.Dodge, Mar 28, 2018
  3. Remote Desktop not working on Win 10 10565

I think I have narrowed this problem down to a command I use to run a cryptocurrency Miner for NVidia called ccminer21. I use it to mine coins. In order to get the miner to start while in a Remote Session to the PC, I use a command "tscon 2 /dest:console
    & ccminer21.exe" to run it, and also with Administrator rights. This allows me to run the miner while in a Remote session. On 10240, there were no problems.

In 10586, it seems that it will allow me to run the ccminer21 without directing it to the console. But, when I attempt to log back onto the PC, it won't allow me. The fix is to run it with Administrator rights, that way it's not running in my login session,
    it's running with elevated rights, and allows me to login again. So the fix is to always run in Administrator rights. Not sure why it is different in the 10586.

I also have to use an older version of the Nvidia drivers, the newer drivers are much slower mining the coins. I have contacted Nvidia, and have not received any advice, or comment on that problem. I just run the older drivers and that fixes that particular
    problem.

Charger.Dodge, Mar 28, 2018
  4. simrick Win User

Hi.
    Have a read here:
    https://www.wired.com/story/cryptoja...ining-browser/

Explains it pretty well. You need some miner blockers in your browsers, at minimum.

simrick, Mar 28, 2018
  5. Kol12 Win User
    Kol12, Mar 29, 2018
  6. simrick Win User
    Cheers Kol12. It's a jungle out there! *Wink
    Please mark the thread as solved.

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How does a browser injected coin miner work? - Similar Threads - does browser injected

2. How to remove bitcoin miner

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to remove bitcoin miner: Split from this thread. Hey, it seems i might have the same issueMy FRST logs: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1SBFt1BUGs8xITKtcErZGvKuP3UhoBJ3k?usp=sharing...
  3. How to remove bitcoin miner

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to remove bitcoin miner: Split from this thread. Hey, it seems i might have the same issueMy FRST logs: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1SBFt1BUGs8xITKtcErZGvKuP3UhoBJ3k?usp=sharing...
  4. I think I found an inactivated Trojan Coin Miner Malware. Help

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I think I found an inactivated Trojan Coin Miner Malware. Help: Hello, like the title states, I think I have found a Trojan Coin Miner. I was scrolling through my system files and opened Program Files x86 and found 2 files of apps I NEVER downloaded/installed. They are called Alucsoft and ATTRACTIONjhoApplication. What are these files and...
  5. I think I found an inactivated Trojan Coin Miner Malware. Help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I think I found an inactivated Trojan Coin Miner Malware. Help: Hello, like the title states, I think I have found a Trojan Coin Miner. I was scrolling through my system files and opened Program Files x86 and found 2 files of apps I NEVER downloaded/installed. They are called Alucsoft and ATTRACTIONjhoApplication. What are these files and...
  6. I think I found an inactivated Trojan Coin Miner Malware. Help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. What is a LockDown Browser & how does it work?

in Windows 10 News
    What is a LockDown Browser & how does it work?: [ATTACH]During an online examination, it is difficult to supervise students, especially at home when there’s no teacher to invigilate in person. For this reason, Artificial Intelligence based software like LockDown Browsers are in great demand. What’s so special about it and...
  8. Did windows defend actually remove a coin miner or?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Did windows defend actually remove a coin miner or?: Well luckily i just woke up and checked windows defender and say that there was no actions required at all!!!! when i checked the ''This app is blocked'' and threat ''serious'' is all gone i don't see it no more since im not good with this can someone please tell me if im...
  9. Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus KB2267602 and Trojan JS Coin Miner

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus KB2267602 and Trojan JS Coin Miner: This update has not installed and I have been trying for 2 weeks. I also have issues with Trojan JS Coin Miner which seems only to attack when I try to open certain apps. Does anyone know if these are related? Windows Defender and Windows Security haven't got rid of it....
  10. Protecting yourself from In-Browser Miners

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Protecting yourself from In-Browser Miners: Miners are becoming an epidemic and in-browsing mining is only going to get worse. Therefore, it is important that all users protect themselves by installing antivirus software that detects when a browser connects to known mining services such as CoinHive. Unfortunately,...