Windows 10: How does it go with upgrading Win 10 machine motherboards?

Discus and support How does it go with upgrading Win 10 machine motherboards? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; OK I have a question. I have a bunch of Win10 machines, six of them at the mo... Now what I want to do is put a new motherboard/CPU in my best... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by deeaa, Mar 15, 2016.

1. deeaa Win User

How does it go with upgrading Win 10 machine motherboards?

OK I have a question. I have a bunch of Win10 machines, six of them at the mo...

Now what I want to do is put a new motherboard/CPU in my best machine, but I'll keep the harddrives and everything intact. I'll probably transfer C: to a new drive and re-arrange what's on what physical drive, but anyway I'll keep the same enclosure, power, drives, display card (for now), accessories and so on.

The old motherboard/CPU goes into the 2nd.machine and also in that one I want to keep the harddrives and everything intact; there's like a gazillion games installed on that one I don't want to erase.

The mobo/CPU from the second machine will not be used any more, thrown in the bin.

How am I going to do with the Win10 licences? Do I need a new licence for the new motherboard, even though there is one machine taken out of use? Is it in any way possible to upgrade the motherboard without getting a new W10 licence? This is something I like to do at least yearly, ie. swap mobos around and get a new one for one machine, throw the oldest one in the bin. It used to be OK with W7; I'd just go to the device manager, delete all, shut off, swap the mobo, reboot, done. Pretty much.

Any ideas what's the best approach with W10?

:)

deeaa, Mar 15, 2016

2. windows 10 pro upgrade

How can I upgrade a Win 10 Home machine to Win 10 Pro and how much does it cost?

ErikSkamser, Mar 15, 2016
  3. kb 3035583 was installed, no win 10 app symbol showing

Running win 7 home, sp1. KB3035583 for win 10 upgrade was installed on my machine on 4/4/15. symbol for win 10 upgrade app does not appear on task bar. How do I get it to show to reserve upgrade?

RonFolbigg, Mar 15, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

You are quite right that a new motherboard will not reactivate and W10 considers it a new machine. My first approach would be to call Microsoft and explain what you have done and they should provide you with an activation key for the new motherboard. You can't legally have more machines activated than the number of W7 installations you originally purchased. If you have a spare W7 product key then you could activate a new W10 installation with that.

philc43, Mar 15, 2016
  5. deeaa Win User
    Yes, it seems like a very confusing issue. I do believe most of my licenses are OEM and those seem pretty clearly to be non-transferrable.
    I'm pretty sure though some of my licenses are full licenses (if you updated from OEM it stays OEM, but a full stays full)...

It really is kind of a mess with these. I have bought every MS OS except Vista since DOS 6.11...one of my machines has been updated right from XP thru 7 and 8, 8,.1 to now 10 and I have no idea what kind of a license it has any more.

Also, since both my licenses on these machines are now PRO; if I swap the mobo and reinstall HOME versions over them because it's cheaper I wonder if they will actually work just like that. I mean, if I have a Pro installation with a new motherboard, will it let me replace it with a new HOME license?

I wish it were a bit more simple. Does it actually show in Windows properties if it's an OEM license or full somewhere?

deeaa, Mar 15, 2016
  6. philc43 Win User
    philc43, Mar 15, 2016
  7. deeaa Win User
    Awesome, thanks a lot!!! How does it go with upgrading Win 10 machine motherboards? :)

deeaa, Mar 15, 2016
  8. deeaa Win User

Hm, very interesting indeed. Here's what my machines say:

Machine1:
    Original Edition: Windows 7 Professional OEM:NONS
    OEM Key: OEM key not present in firmware

- Does that mean, since it's not in firmware, that I can nevertheless swap the motherboard despite it was OEM originally???

Machine 2:
    Original Edition: Win 8.1 RTM Professional Retail
    OEM Key: Windows Vista OEM marker present in firmware

??? This says it is retail, which means I can swap the mobo? Despite there being Vista marker (probably some previous owner had it).

deeaa, Mar 15, 2016
  9. deeaa Win User
    FWIW, I figure what I need to do is move the HD along with the mobo to system 2 and keep that installation, just clean it up or even reinstall without keeping documents and settings. That way there will be no issues with licenses.

Then I will build a new machine but use the originally win 8.1 key to install w10; since that was a retail version it should accept the key as long as the machine/mobo it was taken from isn't in use any more - which it isn't.

Only means that I need to reinstall everything on both machines. Oh well. Maybe for the best.

deeaa, Mar 15, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    I built a new computer for myself and upgraded my father-in-law's computer with my old motherboard. As long as your Windows 10 says "Windows 10 on this device is activated with a digital entitlement" on the activation screen of settings, updates & security, then the same version of Windows 10 will activate on that same motherboard. His old motherboard had Windows 10 activated on it from a Windows 7 upgrade as did my old motherboard. I didn't want to re-install everything he had so I just moved the motherboard over. His Windows 10 installed the new drivers and just picked up right where it left off and stayed activated because the new to him motherboard already had a digital entitlement.

My new computer got a new install of Windows 7 which I had to activate over the phone because my family pack retail product key has been used so much in the past, grabbed the genuineticket.xml file, then clean installed Windows 10 and activated with the genuineticket.xml file.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How does it go with upgrading Win 10 machine motherboards? - Similar Threads - does upgrading machine

2. does win 10 works on virtual machines?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    does win 10 works on virtual machines?: I bought a refurbished laptop that came with Win 10 Pro installed. The point is windows do not allow another SO close to him, making it disappear even from Bios and seems there is no way to circumvent it from repeating this behavior every time a Linux SO is installed. That's...
  3. does win 10 works on virtual machines?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    does win 10 works on virtual machines?: I bought a refurbished laptop that came with Win 10 Pro installed. The point is windows do not allow another SO close to him, making it disappear even from Bios and seems there is no way to circumvent it from repeating this behavior every time a Linux SO is installed. That's...
  4. does win 10 works on virtual machines?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Interesting BSOD Sequence on Upgraded Machine win 7 to win 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Interesting BSOD Sequence on Upgraded Machine win 7 to win 10: I'm looking for some assistance/recommendations for troubleshooting various BSOD errors I have encountered on my older win7 computer which was upgraded to windows 10 last year. I had a variety of BSOD issues over ~5 months IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, Memory_Managment,...
  6. Win 10 not activating after motherboard upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 not activating after motherboard upgrade: Previously I used win 10 with digital licences with Microsoft account added , now I upgrade motherboard and using same Microsoft account with is linked to window digital license, but trouble shooting not activating win 10...
  7. Does the Windows License Go With The Motherboard or the Case?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Does the Windows License Go With The Motherboard or the Case?: I built a very nice system a long time ago (2006) and I installed Windows 7 Ultimate. I even bought the Windows 8 Pro upgrade. Sometime ago the motherboard bit the dust. The motherboard, memory and cpu went to the recyclers and the rest has been gathering dust in the closet...
  8. Upgrade to Win 10 - Go Back to Win 7 Question

Upgrade to Win 10 - Go Back to Win 7 Question: I had set up a dual boot with Win 7 and clean install of Win 10, with Win 10 on a separate SSD. Never registered Win 10. I removed the Win 10 SSD from my case. Went back to single boot Win 7. Now my question is... Would there be a problem (with Microsoft) if I...
  9. Win 10 upgrade on Tripple Boot Machine

Win 10 upgrade on Tripple Boot Machine: I have a Dell XPS 9100 machine that is triple boot, Win 7 SP1 Drive on C (this is the OEM OS), and Win 8 (not 8.1) on Drive I, and Win XP SP3 on Drive D. I would like to do a upgrade of the Win 7 SP1 Ultimate drive C to win 10 pro th2-10586. Can someone suggest how I might...
  10. Where does the Win 10 download go?

Where does the Win 10 download go?: Hi I registered for Win 10 and then cancelled. Last week, there was a large (3GB or so) hit on my Broadband allowance, which seems to roughly coincide with the size of Win 10. How can I see whether the files have been downloaded? Where does it put them and what would I do if...