Windows 10: How does One Drive work when there is no connecton to a network

Discus and support How does One Drive work when there is no connecton to a network in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just finished setting up several Word 2016 custom templates on One Drive and the work fine. What surprised me was that if I am not connected to a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JJG10, May 15, 2017.

1. JJG10 Win User

How does One Drive work when there is no connecton to a network

I just finished setting up several Word 2016 custom templates on One Drive and the work fine. What surprised me was that if I am not connected to a network those templates still work. Also some files I put on One Drive are there also. How can that be? Perhaps One Drive is not purely a cloud storage thing.

Thank you.

:)

JJG10, May 15, 2017
  2. dozrguy Win User

Disc Drive will not work there is no button to open

what model of computer is this?

If its a Toshiba, see the page 2 , reply by Auggy of this thread for a fix!

Windows 10 drivers

this MAY ALSO be pertinent to Other OEM systems and their pre-installed ROM software

dozrguy, May 15, 2017
  3. Disc Drive will not work there is no button to open

Hello David,

When you say there is no button to open the disc drive, what do you mean?

Are you using a computer or a laptop?

Are you sure that it has a disc drive?

Kind regards,

Fergus

Fergus Martin, May 15, 2017
  4. Fafhrd Win User

No, OneDrive may be set up to mirror (sync with) a drive on your hard disk. If you are not connected, the files will wait until you reconnect then upload them to the OneDrive cloud storage.

Fafhrd, May 15, 2017
  5. JJG10 Win User
    Thank you very much. That pretty well explains what is happening here.

JJG10, May 15, 2017
  6. pparks1 Win User
    Yeah, that is how the cloud storage works by default.

You create a copy on your computer, and it syncs it to the cloud. Now, the file is technically in both places. So, if you update the file from the web interface, the next time your computer connects to oneDrive, it would update the local copy on your computer.

So, you have the benefit of having your files in 2 different places.

pparks1, May 15, 2017
  7. Steve C Win User
    You can configure OneDrive to set which folders are synced with your PC. For example, I have a movies OneDrive folder which I choose not to sync with my laptop to save storage space on the laptop.

Steve C, May 16, 2017
  8. JJG10 Win User

Thank you. That seems like a good idea!

JJG10, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How does One Drive work when there is no connecton to a network - Similar Threads - does Drive connecton

2. One Drive not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One Drive not working: Yesterday 6/7/2023 I started having an issue with One Drive. I am able to sign in on the one Drive website, but cannot access any files or do anything, but it shows me as signed in. I cannot access my one Drive files on ANY of my devices. When I try to sign in on any device...
  3. One Drive not working!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One Drive not working!: Hi I have tried uploading photos from my cameras today and one drive identifies that there are new photos, but does not tick them as happened previously on Monday it worked fine the import in this case 33 items is highlighted in green, but the drop down box top left on the...
  4. networking does not work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    networking does not work: i am on the verge on snapping. i am on the verge of literally going beserk. i had enough of it. seriously i am done with dealing with this. for 40 years you unplugg your router to reset the internet always came back on all versions in windows, each and every one. now all...
  5. How does One Drive work?

How does One Drive work?: How does One Drive work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-does-one-drive-work/01f09d36-8bd3-4b07-b5e5-43ea38a32f05"
  6. How To Work One Drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Work One Drive?: I'm quite confused about microsoft accounts, google accounts and one drive accounts. I appear to have at least a couple of each kind - and others belonging to members of the family. I just downloaded a heap of photograph and they're in One Drive on this computer. I want to...
  7. One Drive Not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One Drive Not working: My one drive is not working. when I click on the cloud on the bottom right, it says one drive is not connected and it says "signing in" with a circular loading dial but nothing is happening....
  8. How does network folder access work?

How does network folder access work?: Say user X have access to: \\abcd-fileserver1\some folder\some folderA I was trying to help user mapping above path, but i couldn't map \\abcd-filserver1 However, i was able to map: \\abcd-fileserver1\some folder\ What i deduce from this is that if user X has been...
  9. One Drive: how does it work?

One Drive: how does it work?: While looking how to solve a problem with PC and Windows Ten, I turned One Drive off. When I turned it back on, it seems to be downloading a ton of documents. I did not erase anything, just turned it off and on. And I'm getting a lot of messages saying "you now have 2 copies...
  10. How to connect to Shared Network drive when not on the network?

How to connect to Shared Network drive when not on the network?: How do I connect to a shared network drive I have setup on my Windows 2012 R2 standard server at home, from my Windows 10 pro laptop is at work? Do I have to setup a vpn on windows 2012 server and connect to it from my laptop? Someone told me something about doing it that...