Windows 10: How does restore to dissimilar hardware work?

Discus and support How does restore to dissimilar hardware work? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Say i have intel cpu and a nvidia gpu now which i do, And i want to replace everything Motherboard,CPU to AMD one, new RAM, and a AMD GPU. and i got a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by OxtailSnail, Sep 29, 2017.

1. How does restore to dissimilar hardware work?

Say i have intel cpu and a nvidia gpu now which i do, And i want to replace everything Motherboard,CPU to AMD one, new RAM, and a AMD GPU. and i got a backup software which supports restore to dissimilar hardware.

my question is this what happens? whats the process like?

:)

OxtailSnail, Sep 29, 2017
  2. qinada Win User

How to transfer ssd to new computer with windows 10 without formating?

You need to make a backup of SSD with a backup and restore software which supports restoring to a dissimilar hardware. One good solution is AOMEI Backupper with dissimilar hardware restore feature (Universal Restore).

qinada, Sep 29, 2017
  3. qinada Win User
    Restore files from backup from previous (crashed) computer to new computer

Windows built-in Backup and Restore does not have the function to restore to a dissimilar hardware. You have to use a third party software with

Universal Restore
    feature.

qinada, Sep 29, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

How does restore to dissimilar hardware work?

Hello unfortunately you haven't stated which imaging software you are using.

This outlines what happens when you use Macrium's Redeploy; Macrium Reflect is one which many contributors here use and recommend.
    ReDeploy a system to new hardware
    v5: How to use Macrium ReDeploy (ReDeploy, Restore, V5)

Re-deploying Windows to new hardware using Macrium ReDeploy - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

Here's Aomei Backupper:
    Restore A System Image Backup to Computer with Dissimilar Hardware

dalchina, Sep 29, 2017
  5. I got Aomei Pro the link you provided made it sound easy, i thought it would be a lot more complicated then that.

OxtailSnail, Sep 29, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Ok, let us know how it goes.

dalchina, Sep 29, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    They basically automatically update the drivers for the new device but without going through the oobe phase if you used sysprep to remove hardware drivers.

cereberus, Sep 29, 2017
  8. Cliff S New Member

Cliff S, Sep 29, 2017
  9. Kari Win User
    That method is based on generalizing Windows with Sysprep, making it hardware independent. Sadly, that does no longer work as told in that tutorial in Windows 10. You can still use Sysprep to generalize a cleanly installed Windows 10 image before any users and software have been added, but you can't do it on existing Windows 10 installation.

That's why that tutorial never was ported to Ten Forums.

10. SIW2 Win User
    Sysprep doesn't work if store apps have been updated.

11. Kari Win User
    Sysprep works perfectly on an existing Windows 10 installation, it's just that you can't use the /generalize switch when apps have been provisioned.

12. cereberus Win User
    Redeploy is not quite the same as sysprep.

In sysprep with generalisation, hardware drivers are removed, and when reinstalled on another device, Windows reinstalls appropriate drivers on first install.

Redeploy updates drivers using the Redeployment Software, essentialness discarding those it does not need i.e. in effect doing the driver removal and addition as one step rather than two discrete steps as sysprepping/oobe does (i.e. removing all drivers first on old PC, then installing them on new PC).

Actually, Windows 10 driver handling is so good compared with previous versions, it pretty much works like redeploy automatically anyway.

If you install Windows 10 in a VM, and make an image backup, and restore image to host, it just updates all the drivers automatically in most cases even if never installed on host before.

Of course, if you do not have Redeploy capability, the cleanest solution is via sysprepping but that has its own Windows 10 issues as @Kari says. The slightly dirty solution is to use Windows 10 own driver handling ability.

For a one change of hardware, it is barely necessary to sysprep any more, and even if any issues arise, most can be resolved from device manager.

However if redeploying across multiple devices, sysprep is the way to go (if you do not have Redeploy capability) and it is free as well of course.

cereberus, Sep 29, 2017
  13. Cliff S New Member

Something I thought of, but don't know if it's required:

Is the OP using a retail key(required)
    Does the OP need to deactivate the key first using slmgr /upk before he moves his system, then reuse it?

Cliff S, Sep 29, 2017
  14. cereberus Win User
    If solely a digital licence e.g. an upgrade from 7/8 in which case no.

If key was a retail standalone key, then generally you can reactivate licence on new PC several times before it complains, and then you might need telephone activation, so no really.

cereberus, Sep 29, 2017
  15. Cliff S New Member
    Ok. Better to ask and learn, than die stupid(something they say in Germany, but sounds better in German too)

Cliff S, Sep 29, 2017
Thema:

1. How does restore to dissimilar hardware work? - Similar Threads - does restore dissimilar

2. System Restore and Startup Repair does not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore and Startup Repair does not work: When I try to boot from the usb flash drive and press Repair Your Computer from the menu, and I try to use Startup Repair, tells me it couldn't repair your PC with the Log File: D:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt.When I try System Restore, and I try to restore to...
  3. Create a distributable backup on dissimilar hardware

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Create a distributable backup on dissimilar hardware: I have installed on VirtualBox a version of Windows 10 Professional with many utilities that I want to save on a medium and distribute on other computers with different hardware. I have already tried True Image and Snap Deploy and I must admit that they often work very well...
  4. Macrium Free --Restore to totally different hardware --Working !!!

Macrium Free --Restore to totally different hardware --Working !!!: Hi there Macrium Free version is also brilliant at restoring to totally different hardware. This method can be used pretty well where there's different hardware involved or creating V2P (a Virtual to Physical conversion) whatever VM system you are running. You can't get much...
  5. System Restore does not work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System Restore does not work: [ATTACH] So, I keep getting this particular error message every time I try to do a system restore, how do I fix it? I tried using different restore points , but no solution obtained. Can someone help me out? Thanks!...
  6. Does Windows System Restore Actually Work?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Does Windows System Restore Actually Work?: Hello and good day, I have owned numerous computers over time. They have always been new computers except the last one which I got a good used laptop only a couple years old. In all the computers I have ever owned way back into the 1990s, Windows System Restore has never...
  7. Why does restore not work

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why does restore not work: I have recently had cause to use the Restore function to overcome problems. But is goes through the motions but ends with a failure message saying restore did not work....
  8. how does system restore and shadow copy work on 10?

how does system restore and shadow copy work on 10?: Well, i have been using 10 for about 1 week now but why still no shadow copies? And i cannot find system restore. Where isit now? By the way isit safe to delete all files in softwaredistribution now like in previous window? 56045
  9. Does System Restore work better in 10?

Does System Restore work better in 10?: Hi Group, I am trying to decide if it is worth upgrading from 8.1. I have had trouble with the system restore function in 8.1. It does not make as many restore points as in XP, is harder to access, and crashes. Has it been improved in 10? Thanks! Mike *092 20222
  10. How does restore & backup work with bitlocker?

How does restore & backup work with bitlocker?: Let say i want to encrypt my c:\ drive with bitlocker and make a system image from it, i first unlock the drive right...(if not set to automatic) then make the image... but how does a restore work??? if the PC does not boot anymore? and i got the image on a external HD does...