Windows 10: how does system restore and shadow copy work on 10?

Discus and support how does system restore and shadow copy work on 10? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Well, i have been using 10 for about 1 week now but why still no shadow copies? And i cannot find system restore. Where isit now? By the way isit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by gradeabra, Jul 11, 2016.

1. gradeabra Win User

how does system restore and shadow copy work on 10?

Well, i have been using 10 for about 1 week now but why still no shadow copies?

And i cannot find system restore. Where isit now?

By the way isit safe to delete all files in softwaredistribution now like in previous window?

:)

gradeabra, Jul 11, 2016
  2. alansf842 Win User

Restore point creation not working in windows 10

system restore point creation does not work in windows 10. get error 0x80042306 shodow copy provider had an error-shadow copy services are running

alansf842, Jul 11, 2016
  3. DonFaso Win User
    System restore not working. Unable to locate Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider service in services.

Original Title: Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider service

I am getting an error whenever I try to access System Restore in Windows 10. I can't even get to it via Control Panel\System\System Protection.

All of the info I have read here refer to a service "Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider service". It doesn't exist on my computer in Services. How do I get System Restore to work without it?

Don

DonFaso, Jul 11, 2016
  4. gradeabra Win User

What should i clean here? I just want to make sure i don't clean the wrong stuff.

gradeabra, Jul 11, 2016
  5. Make sure, that System Restore is enabled, if you have a small partition, it will be disabled by default.

System Restore Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

You mean Download folder? Well, if you have problems yes, but it is not recommend to do it without a reason.

You can clean everything, unless you do not want to revert back to the previous Windows within the next 30 days.

TairikuOkami, Jul 11, 2016
  6. gradeabra Win User
    thanks for the info.

Btw why isit so difficult to access system restore now? Does the system automatically create restore point for me since the day i started using 10?

gradeabra, Jul 12, 2016
  7. gradeabra Win User
    BTW no matter how i delete my softwaredistribution, i still cannot get back the space. WHat is wrong actually?

gradeabra, Jul 12, 2016
  8. gradeabra Win User

Hi, my system restore has no restore point. How can i create one?

gradeabra, Jul 13, 2016
  9. Stevekir Win User
    In the Start button's search field type system restore. You will get Create a restore point. That leads to a d. box called System Properties, with a tab called System Protection opened. In my system Available Drives includes Windows (C *Smile (System) and it is checked.

Press Create and a d. box appears Create a restore point. Type in something to identify why you created it (eg, "Just before KB 123456 update"and press Create. A progress bar opens for about a minute and that's it.

In the first d. Box (same route to get to it from the beginning) press System Restore... then press Next in the next d. box and you will get a list of your restore points. Select one and press Next and you can roll back to that restore point.

I have used System Restore on Windows 7 several times and found it reliable.

PS Someone here said that returning, after the August 2 Anniversary Update, to a System Restore point set before the August 2 Anniversary Update, will have no effect.

Stevekir, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. how does system restore and shadow copy work on 10? - Similar Threads - does system restore

2. System Restore is not working because of Volume Shadow Copy service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Restore is not working because of Volume Shadow Copy service: Hi, whenever I try to create a new restore point, I get this error:There was an unexpected error in the property page:The Volume Shadow Copy service used by System Restore is not working. For more information view the event log. 0x81000202I use Windows 10 Pro 21H2. All...
  3. System Restore is not working because of Volume Shadow Copy service

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Restore is not working because of Volume Shadow Copy service: Hi, whenever I try to create a new restore point, I get this error:There was an unexpected error in the property page:The Volume Shadow Copy service used by System Restore is not working. For more information view the event log. 0x81000202I use Windows 10 Pro 21H2. All...
  4. System Restore is not working because of Volume Shadow Copy service

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Problem with VSS system restore and chkdsk on shadow copy fails

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem with VSS system restore and chkdsk on shadow copy fails: Hello. Windows version is Windows 10 Professional 21H1 build 19043.1165 with latest updates. The volume is BitLocker encrypted. Yesterday just navigating through tabs on System Properties dialog, I occasionally found that System Restore fails to launch with error 0x81000203:...
  6. System restore mysteries / shadow copies etc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System restore mysteries / shadow copies etc: Hi, New Windows 10 user here. Have Googled/Binged around and still a bit puzzled about this. So, System Restore is defaulted to "Off" in Windows 10. I understand some of the reasons for this, but still find it a useful tool. I left it like that, since it's still fresh and...
  7. Volume Shadow Copy and Restore Points

Volume Shadow Copy and Restore Points: I am noticing I cant find my Automatic Restore Points AND I cant find the Restore Points Windows creates after a Quality Update .. in the System Restore application. I just checked my Task Scheduler for Restore Points and the last task to create an Automatic Restore point...
  8. Error - Vol. Shadow copy not working 0x81000202 when trying to use System Restore

in Windows 10 Customization
    Error - Vol. Shadow copy not working 0x81000202 when trying to use System Restore: Because this I can't to click search box, my internet and sound are not working and I can't to use System protection to use system restore. In a windows 10 whit a laptop lenovo ideapad.HELP!...
  9. Restore Point and Shadow Copy

Restore Point and Shadow Copy: Cannot create a Restore Point and cannot create a shadow copy for backup. Are the two related? How can I resolve these issues? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restore-point-and-shadow-copy/566c838a-0490-45a4-9490-3ee22a860661
  10. Restore and Shadow Copy

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore and Shadow Copy: What is the difference between System Restore and Shadow Copy? I am familiar with the first, but only came across references to the second recently. 56132

Users found this page by searching for:

1. System Restore: how does it work and what does it copy?