Windows 10: How does Windows 10 compute 'most used'

Discus and support How does Windows 10 compute 'most used' in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have just upgraded to Win 10 from 7. The programs listed in 'Most Used' make sense except for one - TightVNC Viewer. This is a program I rarely use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by postAlign, Jul 11, 2016.

1. postAlign Win User

How does Windows 10 compute 'most used'

I have just upgraded to Win 10 from 7. The programs listed in 'Most Used' make sense except for one - TightVNC Viewer. This is a program I rarely use and I'm wondering if its presence here might indicate some security problem. So my question is how does Windows compute the Most Used list? Is there a log of the raw data somewhere? Also if anyone has any insight into why TightVNC Viewer might be included legitimately please chip in.

Thanks

:)

postAlign, Jul 11, 2016
  2. MeeAnders Win User

Start menu does not accuaretly show Most Used

Sahil, I ran the SFC scan, but it found no corrupt files.

As far as your other suggestion, I would rather not create a new user account. I have several devices that I sync across my current user account, so don't want to create a new one.

Any other suggestions?

MeeAnders, Jul 11, 2016
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Start menu does not accuaretly show Most Used

The problem you're having is that you are thinking like a logical human being. Computers don't work that way. They work the way they are programmed to work. In this case, there's nothing you can do about it. That's the main reason I turned off the 'most
    used' feature in Settings.

BulldogXX, Jul 11, 2016
  4. derek10 Win User

Here, two of the most used apps are "Filezilla" and "VMware Player" which I rarely use.

Not Chrome, Word, Foobar2000 or any game, etc which I use them much more.

I though it counted the number of clicks on their icons.

LOL

derek10, Jul 11, 2016
  5. spunk Win User
    These programs are probably starting with Windows and are showing in the taskbar by the clock. The icons may be hidden. If you don't want to have them start with Windows, start the program, go to Preferences, or Options, and Uncheck Start With Windows. Or Right click the TaskBar start the Task Manager, go to the Startup Tab and uncheck the programs you don't want to start with Windows.

spunk, Jul 11, 2016
  6. Edwin New Member
    I think the 'Most Used' list is a stab in the dark; if you perform a clean install, there's 'most used' stuff in the list you haven't even used yet!

Edwin, Jul 11, 2016
  7. For me it took a while before Most Used became accurate, for the first few weeks of 10 it looked fairly random, but now it looks about right (Chrome most used, followed by File Explorer)

If items are missing, this could be because they are pinned to the start menu, anything pinned to menu is ignored in Most Used

paulsalter, Jul 11, 2016
  8. postAlign Win User

Thanks Paul and everyone.

postAlign, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How does Windows 10 compute 'most used' - Similar Threads - does compute 'most

2. The most useful Windows hotkeys

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The most useful Windows hotkeys: I thought everyone knew it, but it turned out that so many users don't. Here are the best ones: 1. Win + D - show desktop; Win + E - open explorer; Ctrl + Shift + esc - open task manager directly; Win + Shift + S - open a super useful utility directly that helps you...
  3. How to enable Show most used apps?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to enable Show most used apps?: I want to enable "Show most used apps" for Windows 11 but it seems disabled. How can I enable this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-enable-show-most-used-apps/c2bb9dda-0810-41e6-b828-4e59c4ca8257
  4. Can't Use Computer After Most Recent Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Use Computer After Most Recent Update: I was prompted to download and install the new Windows 11, version 22H2 and now my computer appears to be unusable.It took more than 3 hours of updating before giving me a blue screen with two options: Troubleshoot or Turn Off the PC. None of the default repair options do...
  5. Can't Use Computer After Most Recent Update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Use Computer After Most Recent Update: I was prompted to download and install the new Windows 11, version 22H2 and now my computer appears to be unusable.It took more than 3 hours of updating before giving me a blue screen with two options: Troubleshoot or Turn Off the PC. None of the default repair options do...
  6. Can't Use Computer After Most Recent Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Out of curiosity: how does Windows 10 sort its most used apps list?

in Windows 10 Support
    Out of curiosity: how does Windows 10 sort its most used apps list?: I have been trying to understand how Windows sorts its most used apps list (in the start menu, presumably shared with start menu alternatives such as Start10). I noticed, for instance, that if I launch a freshly installed program, it pops up high on the list. Launching my...
  8. where does windows save “Most Used” data?

in Windows 10 Customization
    where does windows save “Most Used” data?: i`m developing a program and i need to know what are the most used apps, they are shown on start menu: [ATTACH] where does windows keep the data about most used apps? and how can i read them? by the way i`m using c# and electron for this project...
  9. Computer does not operate properly after most recent Windows 10 Updates

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer does not operate properly after most recent Windows 10 Updates: I recently installed the latest Windows 10 updates to my 4 month old computer. I have Outlook installed on my hard drive not Outlook 365. Now, when I 'wake up' the computer from sleep, I can't access Outlook...says 'not responding'. Can't get on Internet, can't shut down...
  10. windows 10 most used app list

in Windows 10 Customization
    windows 10 most used app list: Hello Guys, Is it possible to increase the most used app list in the new Windows 10 Start Menu? Thanks Tony 25145