Windows 10: How does Windows identify 16 bit apps

Discus and support How does Windows identify 16 bit apps in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; My question is: how do I make windows run a program when it knows its a 16 bit app on a 64 bit PC. I know it reads the exe pe header, but instead of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by SoWhatDontMater, Oct 3, 2016.

1. How does Windows identify 16 bit apps

My question is: how do I make windows run a program when it knows its a 16 bit app on a 64 bit PC.
    I know it reads the exe pe header, but instead of displaying the "This app cant't run on your PC" banner. I would like it to load another program - like in the attached picture.

How does Windows identify 16 bit apps [​IMG]

It's more of a curiosity, because all I have to do is right click the mouse button. (its Win311/DosBox)
    I've tried to copy the ntvdm files & registery entries from Win10 x32 to Win10 x64, but it completly ignores them ;(

P.S. I dont want to associate all the .exe files with another program before I run them. That's just like a really inefficient virus.

:)

SoWhatDontMater, Oct 3, 2016
  2. Andre Da Costa, Oct 3, 2016
  3. Jmcinvale Win User
    Compatibility mode in Windows 10

Looks like the game may be 16 bit.

Here's what I don't understand. in the program compatibility wizard it applies a fix which in this case is to run it in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode, but if it is a 16 bit application and the windows version is 64 bit, the compatibility wizard should
    identify the program as 16 bit and display a message stating the 16 bit program cannot be made to run.

What I don't get is why 64 bit versions of Windows did away with 16 bit compatibility.

From what I understand incompatibility with some older programs and hardware keeps some from buying new Windows versions.

As it is now if I want to play the older DOS based games I have to use a separate program such as Dos box.

DOS box can make most 16 bit programs run in 64 bit Windows versions so surely it isn't that hard for Microsoft to allow those programs to run either natively or through an app.

In a way it bothers me that I have to keep an older PC running just to use programs that will not run on Windows 10.

Jmcinvale, Oct 3, 2016
  4. LMiller7 Win User

How does Windows identify 16 bit apps

There is no way a 64 bit OS can run 16 bit software outside some kind of virtual machine, such as DosBox. Essentially a 64 bit CPU has 2 operating modes, 64 bit and 32 bit, plus a few not relevant to the situation. A 64 bit OS must run in 64 bit mode where it can run either 64 or 32 bit software, but not 16 bit. In 32 bit mode, for a 32 bit OS, it can run either 32 or 16 bit software.

I don't know how to do what you want. It may require third party software.

LMiller7, Oct 3, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    I probably would fire up my 80386-40MHz or 80486-25OD75 computer to run the 16-bit programs.

Berton, Oct 4, 2016
  6. I had one of those, I think it was a Cyrix

SoWhatDontMater, Oct 4, 2016
  7. swarfega Win User
    I had the Intel 486. I think my 386 was Cyrix.

swarfega, Oct 4, 2016
  8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

If you want to run 16 bit software I suggest you run it in a VM -- you can install say Windows 98 as a Virtual machine easily enough -- there's a generic key on the Net just google for it.

If you can't find it it's here (released by Ms itself so not Pirated !!!).

VP9VV-VJW7Q-MHY6W-JK47R-M2KGJ

Keep the VM isolated from the Internet though -- the best way to do this if you have to share files with your Host Pc is simply to use HOST ONLY networking when creating the VM . It's usually in the config files.

You can use VMware player, or VBOX for creating a Virtual machine with FREE software or if you have W10 pro or enterprise you can use HYPER-V. Kari has excellent tutorials on creating Virtual machines using HYPER-V -look in the tutorial section.

In fact using a Virtual Machine is the recommended (and safest) way of using legacy hardware and software.

How does Windows identify 16 bit apps [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 5, 2016
  9. oh I think I figured it out... if anyone is interested.
    I used the 16 bit setup in windows 64 bit option.....
    Code: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NtVdm64\X-LAST-FAILOVER] "InternalName"="*" "MappedExeName"="C:\\blaa-blaa-blaa\\DOSBox-Win31\\run-as-16bit.exe" "ProductName"="*" "ProductVersion"="*" "CommandLine"="%m"[/quote] But it only worked with some .exe files (like NE). Not with .com. I have not done any detailed tests.

SoWhatDontMater, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How does Windows identify 16 bit apps - Similar Threads - does identify bit

2. Unsupported 16-Bit Application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unsupported 16-Bit Application: For the last couple of weeks this message Unsupported 16-Bit Application \AppData\Local\Temp\ErrorReport.exe has been coming on my computer. Everytime I try to close it it only keeps on popping back up. How can I get rid of this popup once and for all?...
  3. Running 16 bit apps on 64 bit system.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Running 16 bit apps on 64 bit system.: Is it definitely possible, although the results are mixed. You just downloadthis VM made by Leecher1337 on github, run install.bat and restart. Try running your app again....
  4. How to use 16 bit apps on Windows 10 32 bit and link to download software to run 32 bit apps

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to use 16 bit apps on Windows 10 32 bit and link to download software to run 32 bit apps: Can anyone tell me how to use 16-bit apps on Windows 10 32-bit with a software link to run 32-bit apps https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-use-16-bit-apps-on-windows-10-32-bit-and/7be1ac07-dbc6-4d92-a4ae-10d22a8f420a
  5. Unsupported 16-Bit Application

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unsupported 16-Bit Application: Hey there I'm tring to run Nerf Jr. Foam Blaster: Attack of the Kleptons see https://nerf.fandom.com/wiki/Nerf_Jr._Foam_Blaster:_Attack_of_the_Kleptons! on my laptop and I got this error Unsupported 16-Bit Application The program or feature "\??\E:\SETUP.EXE" cannot start...
  6. how to get 16 bit color on windows 10?

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to get 16 bit color on windows 10?: hello, how can i change my windows 10 computer to 16 bit color? thank you! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-16-bit-color-on-windows-10/a44818cc-dde9-4dc6-a58b-45af63e155d2
  7. 16 bit system

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    16 bit system: Hi I am trying to turn my windows 10 pc to a 16 bit system so I can play old pc video games on it. This website tells you what to do to make a 16 bit system. https://www.groovypost.com/howto/enable-16-bit-application-support-windows-10/ In to website it says Configure...
  8. How to run a 16-bit application on Windows10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to run a 16-bit application on Windows10: Hello, I would like to install a 16-bit application on Windows10 (64-bit version) Thank you for advice. Agnes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-run-a-16-bit-application-on-windows10/25c08c19-398d-4155-b484-cf83473f2525
  9. 16 bit programs on 32 bit windows 10...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    16 bit programs on 32 bit windows 10...: hi... i installed vdm on my 32 bit windows 10 to run 16 bit windows programs have all the dlls in the windows system folder rebooted... and the programs still won't run... says something is missing... any ideas why? 44312
  10. Does 16 bit work yet on a 64 bit windows 10 OS?

in Windows 10 Support
    Does 16 bit work yet on a 64 bit windows 10 OS?: Does 16 bit work yet on a 64 bit windows 10 OS? I did an reinstall of windows 10 but choose 32 bit image instead of windows 10 64 bit. I found out my 16 bit program works, once a windows feature is enabled. I did have a driver issue but fixed by a windows update. 2213