Windows 10: How extend range of wi-fi

Discus and support How extend range of wi-fi in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'd like to know what the options are to extend my wi-fi signal range. I have extra routers if that help and I'm hoping to not spend a lot of money.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Nisko, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Nisko Win User

How extend range of wi-fi

I'd like to know what the options are to extend my wi-fi signal range. I have extra routers if that help and I'm hoping to not spend a lot of money. Thank you.

:)

Nisko, Nov 18, 2017

2. PC Mobile Hotspot option not showing up

Hi Tobiasmusic,

the mobile hotspot option is available if a Wi-Fi network card is installed on your computer.
    Bluetooth uses a different protocol that is not compatible for the mobile hotspot.

If the wi-fi signal is very weak at the desktop PC, you need a wi-fi / range extender repeater or a pair of wi-fi powerlines

franco d'esaro, Nov 18, 2017
  3. wi-fi extender

I have installed a Wi-Fi range extender in my wirless network, but now the password won't work. Any idea where to find the settings? it's a Linksys ac1200 max

MichaelOtto1, Nov 18, 2017
  4. How extend range of wi-fi

FreeBooter, Nov 18, 2017
  5. Nisko Win User
    Please explain what I have to do to use the DD-WRT method? That would be the least expensive to me and I have extra routers.

Nisko, Nov 18, 2017
  6. Kyhi Win User
    you can piggyback the routers...

download How To Share an Internet Connection.pdf and go to page 5 and follow
    How to Configure an Additional Internet Access Point / Router

since you already have extra router - it is just a matter of running cat 5/6 cable to extend range

7. debsawyer Win User
    You can setup your extra router as a repeater. Most manufacturers have that option.

debsawyer, Nov 18, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

Best option is to connect two routers with an ethernet cable, and make second router as a wifi access point.

Very easy - 2nd router is configured to have lan ip in same subnet as main router (First three ip figures are same, only fourth is different). Also second router has dhcp turned off. Wifi ssid and password may be same but channel number should be differrnt to main router (1, 6 or 11 only).

You can use second router as a wifi extender but performance drops rapidly with distance.

Another solution is home plugs.

PS no need to mess aroud with ddwrt for years!

cereberus, Nov 19, 2017
  9. bro67 Win User
    Indoor, just get a set of the Mesh style 3 unit Hockey Pucks that Engenius and other companies are selling, or get a unit like the Engenius EAP-1750H Access Point like I have. If you need outdoor coverage, they make units that are for outside environment.

This is one of the reasons to build out a network with separate units, instead of a All-In-One and having to spend more on swapping out the AIO when you want more.

bro67, Nov 19, 2017
  10. bro67 Win User
    You turn off DHCP, set it for the device IP being say 192.168.2.1, if your current device uses say 192.168.1.x. Then you connect LAN port from main to the LAN port of the device you want to use for wifi. Only issue is that it comes with some headaches to setting it up first, because you have to have the Gateway not on the LAN and set a Static IP on the computer that you are using to set up the old gateway as an Access Point.

bro67, Nov 19, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    You mean set it to 196.168.1.2 (not 2.1). 3rd figure is subnet, and fourth is device number on that subnet.

Also, you do not have to set up a static ip on pc initially unless router has had dhcp turned off previously.

Turn of wifi

Connect pc to router via ethernet cable

Enter IP address of router.

In future, if you need to connect to router, once it is in same subnet and connected to lan, you can simply connect to it over the lan.

The only time you may need to set a static ip on pc is if your main router ip changes to a different subnet e.g a new iso and router.

Then as second router will not be in same subnet and no DHCP, then you will not be able to connect. However, even then it is simpler just to reset second router to default and DHCP will be back on.

cereberus, Nov 19, 2017
  12. antmazz Win User
    How does <$10 sound for not a lot of money? coaxifi.com has a number of WiFi over coax kits that would let you detach an antenna from one of your spare routers and send a WiFi signal directly to whichever room(s) need it, via the cable outlets. I read about it on Review: Coaxifi WiFi over coax for better coverage: 5/5 stars and it works well with my TP-Link C2600. Actually, in terms of Mbps and signal strength (RSSI), it outperforms the router (over the air) at any distance 23/25 feet or more from the router. (I returned an eero mesh system after setting up Coaxifi because my house already has enough paperweights...)

antmazz, Nov 19, 2017
  13. Nisko Win User

Thank you all for the advice. I like the idea of the mesh - seems to be simpler (although I do have an extra router). Are these what are called repeaters? @cereberus: What are home plugs? You also said performance drops rapidly with distance. Which distance are you referring to? From the primary router, the secondary router - or the CAT in between the two routers? Also @bro67, what is AIO? Thank you!

Nisko, Nov 19, 2017
  14. Nisko Win User
    Thank you - I'll look into this!!!!!!!!!!

Nisko, Nov 19, 2017
  15. cereberus Win User
    If you use ethernet distance does not matter unless a huge distance.

If using a wif extender, it is like any device, further apart, weaker the signal.

Home plugs connect via normal plug sockets and info is transmitted via you home's electrical wiring to a receiver.

cereberus, Nov 19, 2017
Thema:

1. How extend range of wi-fi - Similar Threads - extend range

2. Is there any chance that Microsoft will extend the range of CPUs allowed under Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there any chance that Microsoft will extend the range of CPUs allowed under Windows 11?: I have a three year old Surface Pro that the Health Check cannot be upgraded because of an Intel i7 processor, but is fine in every other way. This is really annoying. Does anyone know if this will change? The Health check program says "currently" which implies that it's a...
  3. Is there any chance that Microsoft will extend the range of CPUs allowed under Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there any chance that Microsoft will extend the range of CPUs allowed under Windows 11?: I have a three year old Surface Pro that the Health Check cannot be upgraded because of an Intel i7 processor, but is fine in every other way. This is really annoying. Does anyone know if this will change? The Health check program says "currently" which implies that it's a...
  4. How do I set my range extender as the default Network connection?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I set my range extender as the default Network connection?: I have a TP-Link range extender that I use with my laptop in my living room. I have "Connect automatically when this network is in range" checked in "Wireless Network Properties". I have also tried setting the "Interface Metric" to 1 and the WiFi "Interface Metric" to 2...
  5. How do I set my range extender as the default Network connection?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I set my range extender as the default Network connection?: I have a TP-Link range extender that I use with my laptop in my living room. I have "Connect automatically when this network is in range" checked in "Wireless Network Properties". I have also tried setting the "Interface Metric" to 1 and the WiFi "Interface Metric" to 2...
  6. Is someone spying on me? Unknown access points and range extenders in Network Infastructure

Is someone spying on me? Unknown access points and range extenders in Network Infastructure: I see numerous threads asking this same question going back several years. I couldn't read all of them, but none that I read had answers. I often see devices in File Explorer > Network > Network Infrastructure other than my own. They usually disappear within a few...
  7. RANGE EXTENDER CONNECT

RANGE EXTENDER CONNECT: NEED HELP TO CONNECT WIFI TO RANGE EXTENDER https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/range-extender-connect/c60932bd-359e-4c9e-8fe9-121b2b586916
  8. Range Extender

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Range Extender: How do I connect a tp-link wifi range extender to my pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/range-extender/ecdd9823-8486-4b89-9795-c2f9d50287ff
  9. wireless range extender

wireless range extender: was trying to put in a wi fi 4 extender. put in the wrong password. now i cannot connect. how do i completely get rid of it and start over. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wireless-range-extender/757037cb-f493-4175-8177-7c12b8c1d06a
  10. Laptop unable to switch between router and range extender

Laptop unable to switch between router and range extender: Hi,I am using windows 10 on Asus A555LF, since past few weeks my laptop is unable to switch from range extender to my router. I have Tenda router and tenda range extender installed at 1st floor and ground floor respectively. All other laptops and mobile devices switches as I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. use a range extended with microsoft wifi pucks