Windows 10: How has everyone's upgrade experience been?

Discus and support How has everyone's upgrade experience been? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm curious to see how this past year with jumping build to build as an upgrade, how has it been? Any oddities that come with upgrades like software... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Coke Robot, Jul 18, 2015.

1. How has everyone's upgrade experience been?

I'm curious to see how this past year with jumping build to build as an upgrade, how has it been? Any oddities that come with upgrades like software not working or hardware drivers going fowl?

The reason I ask is that I've never believed in doing upgrade installs of Windows, always go clean. I've had a few issues along the way, such as the previous build when I upgraded, the Start Screen stopped opening and some flyout panes wouldn't work anymore without a restart. Clean install of that build, it ran smooth as butter.

What's concerning to me is the fact there are PCs out there that have been running Windows 7 since 2009 that will have an upgrade install done. Just imagine what possible gunk will carry over to 10...

:)

Coke Robot, Jul 18, 2015

2. Windows 10 upgrade or fresh install?

Hello;

In the past it has been highly recommended that I do a fresh installation rather than an upgrade? What is everyone's experience and feeling with Windows 10 and upgrading or should I go through the extra effort and do a fresh installation?

Thanks,

Tamer

TamerZiady, Jul 18, 2015
  3. upgrade to windows 10 home

I have finally gotten Windows 10. To do this, I clicked at the top of this screen on
    ANNOUNCMENTS, then went to WINDOWS 10 HOW TO; then
    HELP WITH UPGRADING WINDOWS. There were instruction on how to install Windows 10 manually and it worked like a charm. Hopefully everyone else that has been posting here will have the same successful experience.

BrendaLuckey, Jul 18, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

How has everyone's upgrade experience been?

I've done mostly upgrades since the first Win 10 preview. I think I clean installed 10074 just to try it but all upgrades since then. Started with Win 8.1 Pro X64. All upgrades went well, no not self-inficted problems.

This is going to be a very busy forum starting July 29th though. There are going to be problems, lots of problems so it would behoove us here in this forum to urge anyone who comes here for help to run the ESDtoISO tool to create a ISO and do a Clean Install (after backing up their data) in many cases, especially when long time installed Win 7 systems have upgrade problems as you mentioned.

Ztruker, Jul 18, 2015
  5. caperjack Win User
    from 7 to 10 should be fun,,i think i have win7 on a dusty computer in the corner ,rarely used,lots of old games and stuff on it ,must boot it tomorrow to see if update is available ,maybe ill try to upgrade it in a few weeks time

caperjack, Jul 18, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    I wonder how many of the preview testers upgraded from Win 7? I would expect most were from 8.1.

Ztruker, Jul 18, 2015
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    Most likely, but a lot of 7'ners are thinking hard about taking the plunge.

f14tomcat, Jul 18, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

I did an upgrade most of the time and a few clean instillations for dual boot testing and all went rather well. This time I did an upgrade over WIn8.1 with build 10240 and it's gone fine for me at least.

BunnyJ, Jul 18, 2015
  9. BunnyJ New Member
    I wonder how many really will?? If they didn't like WIn8.1 due to metro would they like Win10 with even a bit of Metro/Apps in it??

BunnyJ, Jul 18, 2015
  10. Using W10 is very similar to using W7, compared to the W8 series.

I suspect some W7 users will be annoyed by:
    • The new Start Menu (but it should feel more familiar and it is less annoying than the W8 Start Screen)
    • File Explorer
    • The sneaky way MS has hidden the Local Account option

lehnerus2000, Jul 18, 2015
  11. How come you think 7 users will not like file explorer?

Delicieuxz, Jul 18, 2015
  12. IMO, some users will not like:
    • The fact that you can't use the Details pane and the Preview pane at the same time (unlike W7)
    • The "Ribbon"
    • The large amount of clutter in the Navigation pane

13. Geneo Win User

I am kind of disappointed with the update from 10166 to 10240. I have issues with SFC working with no issues to unfixable "corruption". I also had problems with graphics for two monitors. I was running a primary on a Nvidia PCIE and secondary Intel chipset HD 4600. This combo worked fine up to 10166. On 10240 I would get black screens and have to reboot after waking from sleep. I worked around it by running both monitors off the NVidia.

In addition to that, in general, 10166 seemed much more stable than 10240 for me.

As far as coming up from Windows 7, I have no real issues. Windows 10 seems more responsive, even though benchmark results appear otherwise. But from my experience, this responsiveness will erode as bugs are fixed that close timing window's and race conditions, inevitably reducing performance over time. I am on-board for the advancements coming from windows 7: native USB support, USB UASP support, DirectX 12, thunderbolt 3 support and in general new technology support for Skylake and beyond. I don't think it makes any sense to stay on 7 once 10 becomes stable.

Geneo, Jul 18, 2015
  14. I am experiencing a weird issue with my mouse in my W10 b10240 VM.

Half of the time when I start W10 my mouse doesn't function.
    I need to restart to make it work.
    I didn't have any mouse issues with my W10 VMs previously. *Confused

There were some updates today and I had to restart 3x before the mouse "woke up".

15. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Update seemed to be to be delivered rather randomly -- people had to wait for different times to get their updates (and a few AFAIK STILL haven't got them).

The update once delivered worked fine --however the instructions should have been better :

1) Use an MS account to get the latest updates.
    2) Activation only works (is automatic) if you are upgrading from a PREVIOUSLY ACTIVATED version of Windows.

The whole nonsense with the KMS servers / activation keys being blocked was chaotic and I think only an organisation like National Rail in the UK could have been capable of. That certainly IMO could have been better managed -- and for the poor souls who can't activate their nice shiny new build 10240 -- it can be frustrating as they are unable to personalize their machines (for personalisation Windows has to be activated).

So Ms -- Good points for a decent OS being delivered -- zero though for the manner in which delivery was made. If it works this way after Jul 29 -- your phones will be ringing off their hooks.

Suggestion to Ms -- why not use Bittorrent to speed up delivery to 100,000's of people (maybe millions even). Saves load on your servers and provided your trackers are secure there's no reason in the world why this can't be used as a legitimate distribution process. A lot of Linux distros are distributed this way with ZERO problems.

@lehnerus2000 - did you re-install VMware tools again after updating to your build 10240 VM. The best way is to UNINSTALL the VMware tools package and RE-INSTALL completely (or VBOX additions if using VBOX).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 18, 2015
Thema:

1. How has everyone's upgrade experience been? - Similar Threads - has everyone's upgrade

2. How to unlock a registry value that's been locked for "Everyone"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to unlock a registry value that's been locked for "Everyone": I used the method described by @DaveM121 to lock this registry value for "Everyone" on my personal Windows 11 Pro computer:[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors]Here's DaveM121's instructions for how to do...
  3. How to unlock a registry value that's been locked for "Everyone"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to unlock a registry value that's been locked for "Everyone": I used the method described by @DaveM121 to lock this registry value for "Everyone" on my personal Windows 11 Pro computer:[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors]Here's DaveM121's instructions for how to do...
  4. My windows 11 upgrade has been downloading

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My windows 11 upgrade has been downloading: I paused the update but I want to cancel it and stay on Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-windows-11-upgrade-has-been-downloading/35cc5fc8-305f-40d4-97ad-2cc083967345
  5. My windows 11 upgrade has been downloading

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My windows 11 upgrade has been downloading: I paused the update but I want to cancel it and stay on Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-windows-11-upgrade-has-been-downloading/35cc5fc8-305f-40d4-97ad-2cc083967345
  6. Almost Everyone Has This Problem...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Almost Everyone Has This Problem...: I amWindows user for 20 years and I am using this OS for my work, hobby, entertainmentand many other personal things. I have problems since 2015 due to Windows 10. Iwill list them all! 1 – Searchby Modification Date/Create Date Thisfeature added to Windows on XP and this...
  7. Windows install on a PC that has just been upgraded

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows install on a PC that has just been upgraded: So I am going to be getting an SSD soon as my HDD is having issues, I have used a copy of windows 10 pro on this PC, I'm not changing to a different system just installing a new drive. Since I have a licensed and activated copy of windows on my computer already can I somehow...
  8. my hardware upgrade experience

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    my hardware upgrade experience: gidday fellas. first post so bear with me decided to give myself a m/b, cpu, ram upgrade for my birthday. i5 2500k to i5 6400. nothing wrong with what I had, just felt like an upgrade. 5Yr old system So I change everything over and start it up. Had a little trouble to...
  9. Has this computer ever been upgraded to Win 10?

Has this computer ever been upgraded to Win 10?: I know this is going to sound pretty dorky, but this computer has not been used much over the past year. Prior to expiration of the free upgrade to 10, I think I upgraded this computer, but was accustomed to using 8.1 and so reverted after the upgrade. I now want to move...
  10. How to tell if a PC has been 'upgraded' from 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10

How to tell if a PC has been 'upgraded' from 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10: Have a new laptop that has Win 10 Home pre-installed...no recover disk was supplied. Is there a way to see if this laptop is a clean/fresh factory install of Windows 10 Home....or was upgraded at the factory from a Win 7 and/or Win 8.1 ? It was sold as a Windows 10 Home...