Windows 10: How helpful would enabling 'metered connection' be?

Discus and support How helpful would enabling 'metered connection' be? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I have read "Wi‑Fi networks. By default, Windows sets Wi‑Fi networks to non-metered. But if your Internet service provider charges you by the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Hadramawt, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Hadramawt Win User

How helpful would enabling 'metered connection' be?

Hi,
    I have read "Wi‑Fi networks. By default, Windows sets Wi‑Fi networks to non-metered. But if your Internet service provider charges you by the amount of data you use, setting your network connection to metered can help you limit your data usage."

Yes, my ISP charges me by the amount of data you use. My internet account is limited with data amount of 12GB.
    As a result, how helpful would enabling 'metered connection' be?

:)

Hadramawt, Sep 20, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User
    BulldogXX, Sep 20, 2016
  3. How to Disable Automatic Update of Windows 10

If Win10 were installed & working properly, Windows should have detected the tethered connection as a Metered Connection - in which case no updates would have been downloaded or installed. That being said, if Windows Update was
    already in the process of downloading or installing an update when daughter switched to the tethered (mobile wireless) connection, the process would not be interrupted.

If daughter's internet connection is a true WiFi (wireless) connection, she should be able to configure it as a metered connection. See

http://lifehacker.com/enable-metered-connection-to-delay-windows-10-updates-1723316525

PS: How old is daughter?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How to Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10

Change Automatic Maintenance Settings in Windows 10

How to Prevent Windows 10 From Automatically Downloading Updates

How to Prevent Windows 10 From Automatically Downloading Updates

PA Bear - MS MVP, Sep 20, 2016
  4. Barman58 Win User

What it would do is prevent the use of your internet to Automatically download and install items.

This is great to prevent running out of bandwidth, or being chaged for use of excess bandwidth, but also can leave your system in an unsafe condition as the system will not download anything unless you specifically OK it. this will include security items.

How close do you come to hitting your bandwidth limit? if you are way off the limit at the end of the billing period then there is probably no reason to set the system as metred, but you can if you are prepared to do the additional manual work required, Obviously if you are always near the limit of use available then this is an essential tool.

Of course if you choose to not download an update you will need to have access to an unlimited internet source to update when it's convenient or plan your usage to both keep updated and within your limits. (this suits a laptop more than a desktop as you can use free WiFi to update, but this also risks malicious access to your system as these are normally open access networks )

Barman58, Sep 20, 2016
  5. Bree New Member
    Yes, it's very useful. Setting WiFi to a Metered Connection still lets Windows Update check for updates, but instead of downloading automatically you are notified that 'updates are available' but can't be downloaded. You can then choose if you want to download anyway. Particularly useful for the big ones, like the Anniversary Update (some 3-4GB). You can wait until your monthly limit resets before allowing it to download.

How helpful would  enabling 'metered connection' be? [​IMG]

You will however have to manually update Defender to keep it up to date, either through windows update or its own 'Update' tab.

6. Adalwar Win User
    But, check it regularly.
    Installing new Wi-Fi Drivers or the like, may reset it to its default or even in a Windows Update. It happened to me several times.
    It is a stupid thing to make it default as "no metered", should be the other side round, in regard to people that have metered connections, that can be painful.

Adalwar, Sep 20, 2016
  7. RolandJS Win User
    I have DU Meter, the pay-for version, which includes a function called "Data Transfer Costs" which is same as metered internet. I just now set it for the first time to: AT&T's DSL limit of 150GB/month [U-Verse is 250GB/monthly]. I guess an alert will cough up.
    Now, a question, I have two computers at home -- how does Widows metered internet or DU Meter DTC track two computers? My first educated guess is that one has to "add up" two reports near the end of each month.

RolandJS, Sep 20, 2016
  8. Bree New Member

I don't use DU Meter DTC, just the Windows 10 metered connection. There is no 'usage report' with a metered connection so your 'issue' doesn't arise. Metered Connection, when turned on, is just a simple 'don't use WiFi for downloading updates' setting (which in your case you'd have to set individually on each of your computers). It's up to you to work out if you're close to your limits before you click 'download'. My ISP has a 'broadband usage' page that tells me how much I've used this month.

9. Hadramawt Win User
    Thank you all of you very much indeed. I got it. However, I have a little question which is if I am connected with a wired cable via Ethernent connection. So, metered connection cannot be considered.

Hadramawt, Sep 21, 2016
  10. Nubble Win User
    Nubble, Sep 21, 2016
  11. Barman58 Win User
    Wired or wireless should work the same as far as I am aware

Barman58, Sep 21, 2016
  12. Bree New Member
    Yes, I've followed the Tutorial instructions and it works exactly the same for Ethernet as for WiFi.

13. RolandJS Win User

My post #5 should have mentioned the same thing, I have three computers running both ethernet and wifi from the one DSL router. How would metered connection or DU "add up" all three computers' monthly usage?

RolandJS, Sep 22, 2016
  14. Try3 Win User
    Setting your connection to metered does not mean anything gets added up. "Metered" does not mean Windows operates a meter. "Metered" means you have somebody else operating a meter on you [your ISP].

Setting your connection to metered
    1 stops Windows update checks happening automatically
    2 stops Windows update automatically downloading updates if you manually run Windows update
    3 for local user accounts only, stops "Modern" app updates being downloaded automatically.

There is further guidance in Manage data usage and Windows updates in Windows 10 [MSA forum WiKi].

Denis

Thema:

1. How helpful would enabling 'metered connection' be? - Similar Threads - helpful enabling 'metered

2. Metered connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Metered connection: What can I do when I can't download my Windows Updates because I am on a metered connection. I went to check on my Windows Updates and found a message that said I needed to check if I was on unmetered connection. If not, I may get charged for downloading them. I am on an...
  3. How to Enable Download Microsoft Edge Updates over Metered Connections

in Windows 10 News
    How to Enable Download Microsoft Edge Updates over Metered Connections: Microsoft has adopted the Chromium open source project in the development of Microsoft Edge on the desktop to create better web compatibility. This new Microsoft Edge runs on the same Chromium web engine as the Google Chrome browser, offering you best in class web...
  4. Metered Connection Disables Automatically after enabling

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Metered Connection Disables Automatically after enabling: When I try to set my Mobile hotspot as metered Connection when I click Toggle button is turning into blue but when I revist the Connection property window it shows metered Connection is in off position. Metered Connection disabling automatically. Kindly help me in this regard...
  5. Metered connection

Metered connection: My wifi says turn off metered connection but when i go to settings the wifi tab does not appear please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/metered-connection/f3e9f6a8-62a2-41b4-955f-ff35086fb242
  6. Metered Connections

Metered Connections: How do I change my settings so I can connect to WI-FI? At the moment, it says I can only use an ethernet cord which is not an option. I have a ASUS Desktop running on Windows 10 PRO....
  7. Metered Connection

Metered Connection: A while back I was having troubles downloading all the Windows 10 updates. Call tech support and bottom line they set my computer to a metered connection. That solved my problems. It worked. Me internet provider only supplies me with 10 mbps of download speed. Yesterday I...
  8. METERED CONNECTION

METERED CONNECTION: I must have pressed something because now when I open my Outlook to check my mail I get a message about me being on a metered connection. How do I turn that warning off? Many Thankx Jeff...
  9. METERED CONNECTION

in Cortana
    METERED CONNECTION: I must have pressed something because now when I open my Outlook to check my mail I get a message about me being on a metered connection. How do I turn that warning off? Many Thankx Jeff...
  10. Metered Connection

Metered Connection: I can't seem to change my WiFi settings to meteted connection on windows 10. I have gone through the steps on the microsoft site and when I get to manage know networks and I select any of my networks it's shows me either share, or forget, buh doesn't show me properties. How...