Windows 10: How is copying files in Windows 10?

Discus and support How is copying files in Windows 10? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; In Windows 7, it can be a real bother to leave a folder to copy to another drive, with some files in the folder being new versions to replace versions... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Delicieuxz, Apr 9, 2015.

1. How is copying files in Windows 10?

In Windows 7, it can be a real bother to leave a folder to copy to another drive, with some files in the folder being new versions to replace versions already existing in a same-name folder on the drive that's being copied to... and at some point into the transfer a dialogue will pop up asking whether to merge folders, and then whether to copy and replace, or rename some files, and then the same question for some archives... and there's no telling at what point of the transfer these prompts will appear.

When the transfer is 50+ GB, it's often convenient to leave it to copy and walk away to do another thing while it copies. Course, if a user isn't there to tell the prompts what to do when they show, the whole transfer sits and waits, and when the user returns, expecting things to be done, they might find they still have to wait nearly the entire time that was remaining when they left.

This issue would be resolved if there were checkboxes in the transfer window to designate what to do with certain types of conflicts that may or may not arise:

x merge same-named folders
    x replace same-named files
    x make backup / duplicate of same-named files

Something to that effect.

If Windows 10 hasn't already improved the transfer management, I'd like to see it done before its official release.

:)

Delicieuxz, Apr 9, 2015

2. problem in copying files in win 10

not able to copy files in file explorer in partition drive or pen drive in windows 10.how can it be fixed

gaurav1singh, Apr 9, 2015
  3. Copying files to usb drive is too slow speed in Windows 10

Hi Prashant,

Let's troubleshoot the issue by following steps provided by ThofikhAhamad's on October 6, 2015. Just click this

link
    to see the forum post.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Jericho Lap, Apr 9, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

How is copying files in Windows 10?

Well, that was actually "fixed" in Windows 8. It will now complete the transfer of all files it can successfully transfer, then prompt you for what to do with the remaining files. In this way, you only have to worry about the files that failed and all the good files will have completed. In addition, it offers a cool graph of transfer speed as well as lines showing average speed.

Another nice feature is that you can pause copies, or cancel specific ones.

Windows 10 is no exception to this and uses the same method. You can read about it in many places.

Mystere, Apr 10, 2015
  5. That's good to know, though it sounds like it is still is only a halfway solution towards the example I put forth in the OP. It'd be nice to return to transfers and find that everything is done according to the user's will, and that nothing remains to be dealt with. The folders and files that are waited upon could still be many GB and take a while to transfer.

Delicieuxz, Apr 10, 2015
  6. There is a hide merge conflict checkbox in folder options
    The decision to replace or create a copy (2), (3), (4) still remains up to the user.
    The copy process is vastly improved - you can hide same files so you don't have to make decisions on those (or make backups of backups of backups - all the same file made with previous versions of windows or other means).

The improvements mean that the first time might be more work than you want, but after that, there should only be a few files that meet the criteria of being the same. That is, unless you're a pack rat like me *Wink

You might be using the wrong tool - backup sounds more like what you're doing. This tool has different mechanisms to test the file before performing the copy/backup, most notably is the archive bit set.

Slartybart, Apr 10, 2015
  7. What I don't understand is what Windows 7 is doing during the "Preparing to copy" stage.

It certainly isn't checking for conflicts, so it can alert the user before starting the operation.

MS could have created an "advanced copy" GUI tool using check boxes, etc. as Delicieuxz suggested.

lehnerus2000, Apr 10, 2015
  8. Mystere Win User

Well, it's mostly scanning the folder tree to determine file sizes, and number of files. So that it can display the percentage and files/size remaining.

Mystere, Apr 10, 2015
  9. Delicieuxz, Apr 11, 2015
  10. adamf Win User
    You can use the robocopy command (it is command line not checkboxes I'll grant you) but it should let you do what you want. If you prefer a GUI front end you can get one from technet

adamf, Apr 12, 2015
  11. davehc Win User
    What's windows 7. Have we drifted - again. Well it lasted 5 posts this time - lol.

davehc, Apr 12, 2015
  12. The OP mentioned "issues" with W7 file copying/moving.

I also believe that an "Advanced Copy" GUI tool could be handy (especially when copying 1000s of files in a single operation).

W10 doesn't seem to have one.

lehnerus2000, Apr 12, 2015
  13. adamf Win User

Robocopy is built into windows 10 (as it was in 8 and 7 and before that for all I know). The GUI you need to get from TechNet (if you don't like command line). It is also faster than copy paste.

As @Slartybartfast said though Copy Paste is perhaps the wrong tool. Copy Paste is not the same as backup - there are too many considerations. If you want to backup and have a pre-defined strategy for existing files then use File History, or xcopy or robocopy or any of the hundreds of 3rd party backup softwares there are. If you don't know what you want to do with existing files on the backup you can think about it at the time.

Making copy/paste more complicated would not make anything better for anyone and if I was in charge of MS development I'd quite simply not do it.

adamf, Apr 12, 2015
  14. I know Robocopy is available via the Command Prompt.
    I didn't know there was a GUI for it. *Redface

Given that one exists, why not include it in Windows?

Why would a separate "Advanced Copy" GUI tool have any affect on the standard tools?

lehnerus2000, Apr 13, 2015
  15. maxXPsoft Win User
    I use robocopy to backup my important stuff to a Ironkey secure usb disk.
    Each time in Windows 10 it re creates all the files. I don't understand why it date changing on my D: drive. Kinda strange
    Code: robocopy D:\_Backup %~dp0_Backup /E /COPYHow is copying files in Windows 10? :DT /PURGE[/quote]

maxXPsoft, Sep 5, 2015
Thema:

1. How is copying files in Windows 10? - Similar Threads - copying files

2. Can I copy paste all files from my previous install to my new one

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I copy paste all files from my previous install to my new one: Recently I found myself regreting that I did reset my windows 11 since I had lots of usefull software on it and I configured it to the last detail. I have an older ssd that has the backup windows install I was copying my old ssd partitions to the new one. But there is a...
  3. Can I copy paste all files from my previous install to my new one

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I copy paste all files from my previous install to my new one: Recently I found myself regreting that I did reset my windows 11 since I had lots of usefull software on it and I configured it to the last detail. I have an older ssd that has the backup windows install I was copying my old ssd partitions to the new one. But there is a...
  4. Some file do not sync in OneDrive. when I try to access or copy them I get the following...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some file do not sync in OneDrive. when I try to access or copy them I get the following...: Some file do not sync in OneDrive. when I try to access or copy them I get the following Error Massge: "Error 0x80070780: The File cannot be accessed by the system" Any ideas how to solve it?...
  5. Some file do not sync in OneDrive. when I try to access or copy them I get the following...

Some file do not sync in OneDrive. when I try to access or copy them I get the following...: Some file do not sync in OneDrive. when I try to access or copy them I get the following Error Massge: "Error 0x80070780: The File cannot be accessed by the system" Any ideas how to solve it?...
  6. Getting a BSOD When Copying a Large File on my C Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting a BSOD When Copying a Large File on my C Drive: I am trying to copy a 47GB Folder to my C Drive and it always triggers a Bluescreen. It Works fine but after 10-20 Minutes it immediately drops the copy speed to 300KB/s or 0KB/s. The Original File i was trying to Copy was in my External Drive, I Created a Duplicate of the 47...
  7. Getting a BSOD When Copying a Large File on my C Drive

Getting a BSOD When Copying a Large File on my C Drive: I am trying to copy a 47GB Folder to my C Drive and it always triggers a Bluescreen. It Works fine but after 10-20 Minutes it immediately drops the copy speed to 300KB/s or 0KB/s. The Original File i was trying to Copy was in my External Drive, I Created a Duplicate of the 47...
  8. Getting a BSOD When Copying a Large File on my C Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  9. File is stuck on Onedrive sync and I cannot copy or back it up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File is stuck on Onedrive sync and I cannot copy or back it up: I have a file that is stuck in syncing statusI've tried a half dozen remedies proposed on line. Some of the many fixes I found just didn't work. It is my home system, so "contacting my system administrator" isn't an option.I even disabled onedrive and it is still showing that...
  10. File is stuck on Onedrive sync and I cannot copy or back it up

File is stuck on Onedrive sync and I cannot copy or back it up: I have a file that is stuck in syncing statusI've tried a half dozen remedies proposed on line. Some of the many fixes I found just didn't work. It is my home system, so "contacting my system administrator" isn't an option.I even disabled onedrive and it is still showing that...