Windows 10: How long do pc repair shops usually take to fix my problem?

Discus and support How long do pc repair shops usually take to fix my problem? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I dropped my laptop off at a local computer repair shop (Enterprise). I had a virus that wouldn't let me login into Windows. The technician left me a... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by beautyobsessed7, May 6, 2017.

1. How long do pc repair shops usually take to fix my problem?

I dropped my laptop off at a local computer repair shop (Enterprise).
    I had a virus that wouldn't let me login into Windows. The technician left me a voicemail last night saying "he will probably be able to restore the system to an earlier date and it was technically in the diagnostic stage" There closed until Monday and I didn't get a chance to ask him how long this would take.

Does anyone have an idea? Keep in mind, it's a small store and there was only one person working when I dropped my pc off.

I wouldn't think it would take longer than a few hours but I could definitely be wrong.
    Thanks!!!

:)

beautyobsessed7, May 6, 2017
  2. keat---01 Win User

UK Repairs..How long do they generally take ?

My phone went in last week.. probably landed at Nokia UK Repair centre on Monday.

Since then it's been showing as "Being Alylised or Repaired"

I suspect, probably niether, and that it's sitting on a shelf waiting for an engineer to take a look at it.

How long do UK repairs usually take ?

keat---01, May 6, 2017
  3. After selecting Startup Repair, how long does it take to "Diagnose your PC"?

My laptop stopped booting up recently so I got the Windows Repair thingy (the ISO) from Microsoft, put it in a USB, then reached all the way to Startup Repair. But now I've been waiting for hours... How long does this usually take? How long do pc repair shops usually take to fix my problem? :( I can't boot my PC
    at all.

AlbertoMalferrari, May 6, 2017
  4. simrick Win User

How long do pc repair shops usually take to fix my problem?

Hi.
    Depends on the infection, if the restore points still exist or if they were wiped out by the infection. Hard to say.

simrick, May 6, 2017
  5. Corelogik Win User
    If the restore points still exist and he is able to access them, maybe a few hours, once they re-open. If the restore points got toasted, he'll have to do a re-install in all likely-hood. It kind of depends on the size of the drive, the size of the restore points and the specific virus,...

Corelogik, May 6, 2017
  6. Berton Win User
    Ditto all the above. Also involved is the time it takes to back up the client's data to a different drive such as images, documents, etc. I frequently use a Linux Mint LiveDVD [bootable] to do the copying so as to get around some of the restrictions in Windows and/or the infection.

Berton, May 6, 2017
  7. torre Win User
    Wish you had posted here first. Our panel of experts may have saved you $$$$. *Smile

Seriously, many knowledgeable ppl on this forum. If you like, describe your issue. Perhaps we can prevent an overcharge.

torre, May 6, 2017
  8. How long do pc repair shops usually take to fix my problem?

Sorry if I sound all over the place. If anything doesn't make sense please ask me to clarify.

I posted my problem when it first happened, unfortunately it was on another forum. I got a lot of replies and tried a lot of different keyboard combinations to try and boot into the advanced menu. I even used a different computer to download the Windows 10 ISO tool to a usb drive. When I tried to use it on my pc I couldn't find the usb option in the boot menu.
    Then someone said the usb drive should have been prepared to support GPT / UEFI- BIOS (I didn't even know about this) and to use the application Rufus to format and create a bootable drive. But I couldn't do that bc I had no way to download this Rufus app. At that point it's been 3 days since I got the virus and I'm really frustrated. That's why I bought it to the repair shop.
    I really wish I came to this site when it happened. I really think you guys could have given me the correct instructions. *Sad

Thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate it *Smile

9. simrick Win User
    Okay but that tells us nothing about the infection(?)

simrick, May 6, 2017
  10. Sorry!!

I have a virus and found out its malware known as Rogue.Tech-Support. When I attempt to start Windows It locked my screen and displayed a "Error code: 0x00AEM001489 with a warning about detecting suspicious activities and a support number to call. I realized it was the virus.

11. WOT
    WOT Win User
    Once you get your laptop back, learn how to create a periodic system image so you won't have to send it out for repair next time. Many of the infections are so nasty that it is almost impossible to return your system to a normal state. FYI, I was a member of a different forum that specialized in virus removal and it was not uncommon for people to work on an infection for 3 weeks or more. Now, it wasn't the infection removal that took that long. It was trying to find and repair the damage that was done (and left behind) by the infection.

With that said, I would recommend you download and learn how to use Macrium Reflect Free:
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

You can download the v6 User's Guide here:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=..._C7Jrg&cad=rja

Good luck,

12. Wow I hope it's not a few weeks. Thanks for the links, I saved them and will use them when I get it back *Smile

13. RolandJS Win User

I doubt that other forum steered you very wrong -- they did the best they could with the understanding they had of your situation.

RolandJS, May 6, 2017
  14. WOT
    WOT Win User
    Nah, the repair shop will take the shortest route to get you up and running again.

15. WOT
    WOT Win User
    Agreed.

Thema:

1. How long do pc repair shops usually take to fix my problem? - Similar Threads - long repair shops

2. How long does it take Microsoft to fix a problem??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How long does it take Microsoft to fix a problem??: I have an OEM windows 11 liscence, and I updated my BIOS, so my windows detected a new hardware change although i didnt even change a cable, and it wont let me activate my windows again, i had a chat with a respectable customer support, They said that its a know issue and...
  3. How long does it take Microsoft to fix a problem??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How long does it take Microsoft to fix a problem??: I have an OEM windows 11 liscence, and I updated my BIOS, so my windows detected a new hardware change although i didnt even change a cable, and it wont let me activate my windows again, i had a chat with a respectable customer support, They said that its a know issue and...
  4. How long will resetting my PC take

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How long will resetting my PC take: Having to reset my PC due to Windows 10 bug and broken updates.Very not happy with this b.s.How long will it take https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-long-will-resetting-my-pc-take/91145d3e-0500-4d7c-bfe8-ded25a9ff8db
  5. How long will resetting my PC take

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How long will resetting my PC take: Having to reset my PC due to Windows 10 bug and broken updates.Very not happy with this b.s.How long will it take https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-long-will-resetting-my-pc-take/91145d3e-0500-4d7c-bfe8-ded25a9ff8db
  6. How long will resetting my PC take

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. IDIOTS~!!! HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO FIX IT??

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    IDIOTS~!!! HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO FIX IT??: ANY BLUETOOTH HEADPHONES I CONNECT ARE AUTOMATICALLY DISCONNECTING!!! ALL OF THE SETTINGS ARE FINE1!!! IT'S YOU, YOU DUMB S11ITS, WHO CANNOT IMPLEMENT ONE.STUPIDEASY.FUNCTION!!!!!!!!The only solution I found to connect them manually !!!!!!EVERY TIME!!!!!BUT NO, YOU HAD TO...
  8. how long should a repair-install take?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how long should a repair-install take?: I'm using Win10_2004_English_x64.iso I'm going to select "not right now" for including further updates during the repair, and only do the repair using the ISO my HDD. I'm going to turn off my WIFI during the install so that Windows doesn't try to get anything else. Why?...
  9. How long does it take to repair an app?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How long does it take to repair an app?: I can't open Phantasy Star online 2 in microsoft store, and when i check the directory, files are missing. The exe and other files. So the first thing that i can think of is the repair option in the settings. Since i click on repair, the files shows up outta nowhere and goes...
  10. File explorer take long to load. How do I fix this problem?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File explorer take long to load. How do I fix this problem?: Hello, I just upgraded to windows 10 and one of the things that bugs me is the file explorer on task bar load very slow. It takes around 1 seconds to load if I click on the explorer on task bar. However, if I use the win+E button the explorer open instantly. I tried to...