Windows 10: How long does reinstalling Windows 10 take?

Discus and support How long does reinstalling Windows 10 take? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I managed to screw up my computer so bad the default image viewer and video player are missing and my taskbar and start button no longer work. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BobMcMillan, Jul 12, 2017.

1. How long does reinstalling Windows 10 take?

So I managed to screw up my computer so bad the default image viewer and video player are missing and my taskbar and start button no longer work.

I decided to reinstall Windows using a USB. I downloaded the software and ran setup from the USB and followed all the instructions. It's been 5 hours now and all I have is a black screen with a cursor. My desktop has a 6th gen i5, 16 gigs of RAM, should it really be taking this long or did I do something wrong?

:)

BobMcMillan, Jul 12, 2017

2. Purchased Windows 10 on USB from Microsoft Store

Can the Windows 10 USB stick wear out if used too many times to reinstall or repair Windows 10? How long does the Windows 10 USB stick last before it fails? Does the drive get hot while plugged in? How does both 32-bit and 64-bit fit on a single USB
    stick?

KeithWeisshar, Jul 12, 2017
  3. Windows store cache is damaged

How long does it take to reinstall?

TongWu2017, Jul 12, 2017
  4. f14tomcat Win User

How long does reinstalling Windows 10 take?

Good morning, Bob!

Answer to first question....with no hitches, about 20-30 minutes.

From what you posted, you are not doing a clean install. You are in a Repair Install. Clicking and running Setup.exe assumes a working OS (apparently not so in your case). To do a clean install, you must BOOT from the thumb drive after it has been properly prepared. Here's the tutorial. Not hard, take your time and don't skip any steps.

If possible, make sure all you personal data is backed up and not connected in any way to the computer.

TC....

Clean Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

f14tomcat, Jul 12, 2017
  5. Thanks for the quick reply Tomcat.

Dang it... I knew I should have just followed the guide I was reading. That's what I get.

So do I just restart the computer or should I wait for it to go back to normal?

6. f14tomcat Win User
    Unplug that thumb, power off, wait about 15 seconds, power on. That should get you back up far enough to make the bootable USB and carry on from there. If, not, use another machine if you have one, or a buddies to make it.

f14tomcat, Jul 12, 2017
  7. Alright, I'll go try it now. Thanks for the help!

8. f14tomcat Win User

In your case, the Media Creation Tool is probably your best choice. It will download what you need and make the thumb drive for you. Answer the questions carefully. You will get build 15063. Good luck, and let us know! Cheers! TC

f14tomcat, Jul 12, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
    Can take up to 40 minutes for me, it depends on how fast your HDD is.

One point to note when booting from the USB to do the clean install, after the first stage of copying the files from the USB the PC will reboot. You should remove the USB at this point, the next stage of setting up will be booting from the hard drive, you don't want to boot from the USB again or you'll go back to the beginning of the install process *Smile

10. f14tomcat Win User
    Good point! I just do that naturally so it doesn't always occur to me to mention it.

There is a 10 second countdown at the top of the screen before reboot. After all the little green flags have been checked complete.

f14tomcat, Jul 12, 2017
  11. pparks1 Win User
    On my boxes, with SSD's install takes less than 20 minutes.

pparks1, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How long does reinstalling Windows 10 take? - Similar Threads - long does reinstalling

2. How long does a Windows 10 update take?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How long does a Windows 10 update take?: Okay so it's been 4 hours ago when I open my laptop and it automatically start the updates, and until now , the screen show "Working on Updates, Please do not turn off your computer" and also it several times already...
  3. How long does a Windows 10 update take?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How long does a Windows 10 update take?: Okay so it's been 4 hours ago when I open my laptop and it automatically start the updates, and until now , the screen show "Working on Updates, Please do not turn off your computer" and also it several times already...
  4. How long does a Windows 10 update take?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How long does a Windows 10 update take?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How long does a Windows 10 update take?: Okay so about 4 hours ago my computer needed to make updates, so I clicked restart and update and then I'm at the blue screen where it tells me that, "Working on Updates, Please do not turn off your PC, this might take a while, and your PC will restart several times."I...
  6. How long does a Windows 10 update take?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How long does a Windows 10 update take?: Okay so about 4 hours ago my computer needed to make updates, so I clicked restart and update and then I'm at the blue screen where it tells me that, "Working on Updates, Please do not turn off your PC, this might take a while, and your PC will restart several times."I...
  7. How long does a Windows 10 update take?

8. How Long Does An Upgrade Take.

How Long Does An Upgrade Take.: How long does it usually take for a reboot/upgrade to finish if it's done from the factory? Is it more than a day or so, I am just looking for answers on this so I don't have to go mad from waiting. 177310
  9. How long does it take to install Windows 10?

How long does it take to install Windows 10?: I'm installing Windows 10 Pro 64bit on my Computer for over 9 hours and nothing has happened. Previously i saw the Windows logo and the rotating dots with some precentage under them, then my screen would go black for a couple of minutes after which the precentage went up. But...
  10. How long does it take Windows 10 to update

How long does it take Windows 10 to update: I just received my new surface pro with Windows 10. During the startup process it identified that it did not have the latest version of Windows 10. That in itself is a problem. However when it restarted it has been nothing but blue screen with little circle moving and the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how long does it take to reinstall windows 10

2. how long does it take to reinstall win 10

3. does reinstalling windows 10 work

4. how long does reinstalling windows 10 take,
  5. how long does windows 10 reinstall take,
  6. how long does it take to reinstall windows 10 2010 asus,
  7. reinstall windows 10 how long does it take,
  8. how long should it take to reinstall windows 10 pro on desktop computer