Windows 10: How long should I keep my PC running

Discus and support How long should I keep my PC running in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Our PC is used occasionally during the week. Should we keep it running all the time or shut it down every few days. Currently we do the latter.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lpatrick, Sep 6, 2017.

1. lpatrick Win User

How long should I keep my PC running

Our PC is used occasionally during the week. Should we keep it running all the time or shut it down every few days. Currently we do the latter.

Thanks

:)

lpatrick, Sep 6, 2017

2. how do i stop long running scripts...it keep restarting my email

Hi,

Some scripts might take too long to run. This causes your browser and computer to run slowly.If you're receiving script errors, web pages may not be displayed or work correctly in Internet Explorer. In line with your concern, we suggest checking this
    link. This contains methods that can help you troubleshoot script issues.

Should you need further assistance or have other concerns, feel free to share your thoughts with us.

Lov Dollente, Sep 6, 2017
  3. how do i stop long running scripts...it keep restarting my email

I need help to stop long running scripts. It freezes my email and restarts

* Moved from IE10/other

kimaderholt, Sep 6, 2017
  4. meebers Win User

I turn mine on when I want to use it, shut it down when I am done. There are times that I might be away for a couple of hours, then I put it to sleep. I have a wall switch that turns on/off the either net switch, it gets turned off while away and at night. *Nerd

meebers, Sep 6, 2017
  5. Winuser Win User
    When I'm not going to use my computer for a couple of hours I use the sleep mode. If I'm not going to use it for several hours or more I shut it off.

Winuser, Sep 6, 2017
  6. Steve C Win User
    Definitely shut it off when not in use to save energy and the planet. Also, turn it off at the mains since any electrical device left on is a fire risk.

Steve C, Sep 6, 2017
  7. Mooly Win User
    Use it when you are using it *Smile leave it on long enough for it to do updates and so on (check the update window to make sure it says 'last checked xx/xx/xx' and that it is not busy) and occasionally do a restart to keep the file system in order.

Mooly, Sep 6, 2017
  8. Stevekir Win User

Me too.

Stevekir, Sep 6, 2017
  9. I leave mine on all the time. Both my home desktop and my work-at-home laptop.

The drives spin down after a configurable timeout, so drive wearout is reduced.
    The screens go black, likewise.

margrave55, Sep 6, 2017
  10. no1yak Win User
    My machine is on at 7.30 am and set to go into sleep mode 20 mins if not active. The machine goes off at around 11pm but, I never turn the power off at the wall. The PSU is always on.

no1yak, Sep 6, 2017
  11. Stevekir Win User
    Leaving it on for weeks or months might seem worrying, but many electronic devices are left on permanently: traffic lights, alarms & security devices, industrial controls, air traffic controls and the whole of airports, advertising displays, railway signalling, commercial shipping, hospital facilities, countless computers available 24/7 to be visited at will via a web address, etc. etc. Against this could be argued that home computers might not be made to the same degree of robustness but there seems to be no evidence of this from users.

Stevekir, Sep 6, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    As far as the system is concerned, Windows 10 seems happy to be up and running for weeks at a time. This wasn't the case (for me, at least) in Windows 7 where a restart was needed at regular intervals to reset 'oddities' that had crept into the system and/or drivers.

Mine's a laptop, so I hibernate it when the lid is shut and carry on from where I left off when I open the lid. It only get's a restart when updates need it to complete the install.

Thema:

1. How long should I keep my PC running - Similar Threads - long should keep

2. My PC keeps blue screening. how should I fix it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC keeps blue screening. how should I fix it?: i just installed windows and got everything running. my keyboard wont input some of the keys until i spam them and then they are fine for a while. 2 crashes in a row the blue screen has said "DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL" and "what failed: nvlddmkm.sys"It will happen when i...
  3. My PC keeps blue screening. how should I fix it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My PC keeps blue screening. how should I fix it?: i just installed windows and got everything running. my keyboard wont input some of the keys until i spam them and then they are fine for a while. 2 crashes in a row the blue screen has said "DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL" and "what failed: nvlddmkm.sys"It will happen when i...
  4. My PC keeps blue screening. how should I fix it?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. How long should I Keep waiting for windows 10 Resetting?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How long should I Keep waiting for windows 10 Resetting?: I decided to reset my PC because it was running super slow and freezing all the time. I reset it and picked the option to remove all my files It has been at 36% Downloading with 1 white dot frozen in place(The dots aren't spinning anymore) Should I keep waiting Or what do I...
  6. How long should reset this pc take to download?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How long should reset this pc take to download?: I'm losing the will to live with Windows 10, have been stuck in a never ending loop of it downloading and failing to install the 2020-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 2004 for x64-based Systems every time I switch on laptop, it does this even over a metered...
  7. How long should diagnosing your PC run for?

How long should diagnosing your PC run for?: It ran earlier and took maybe 30 minutes went to repairing your PC and got back into windows but on next restart it went back to diagnosing your PC and is seemingly stuck it has been running for well over an hour. I can not get into safe mode, startup settings or the windows...
  8. How long should my battery be lasting?

How long should my battery be lasting?: submitted by /u/tails618 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hytr0s/how_long_should_my_battery_be_lasting/
  9. How long should I expect my router to last?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How long should I expect my router to last?: I know it's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question but what is a realistic router lifespan? I've had my netgear router for about 5 years now ... and I love it, it's so reliable, the dual band wifi is very decent, the firmware is rock solid, it never needs...
  10. Attempting Repairs 0 How Long Should It Run?

in Windows 10 Support
    Attempting Repairs 0 How Long Should It Run?: Trying to help a family friend out. They restarted their W10 computer on their own (no reason other than to do it ) and upon restarting the computer boots to "Diagnosing your PC" for a few moments. It then loads a screen that says Restart or Advanced Options. Clicking Restart...