Windows 10: How long til windows.old auto deletes

Discus and support How long til windows.old auto deletes in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I know it used to be a month after update that windows.old deleted itself but I thought since AU I thought it was just a week. Having installed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Scottyboy99, May 4, 2017.

1. How long til windows.old auto deletes

I know it used to be a month after update that windows.old deleted itself but I thought since AU I thought it was just a week. Having installed creators update about ten days ago I thought I'd let my machine idle for half hour to see if it deleted and reclaimed the space but it hasn't done so as yet. I know you can do disk clean up but just wondered how long til windows does it for you?

:)

Scottyboy99, May 4, 2017
  2. Keith A. Miller, May 4, 2017
  3. Questions about free Windows 10 Upgrade

It is available as long as the windows.old folder is not deleted. It will be deleted when the monthly disk cleanup is runs so it is 30 days

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), May 4, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

How long til windows.old auto deletes

Hey Wayne, *Smile

Technically, if your PC is running Windows 10 Version 1511, you have one month to go back to a previous version. If your PC is running Windows 10 Version 1607 or later, you have 10 days to go back.

Most likely, it'll be after automatic maintenance runs next when the 10 days has expired before the files in Windows.old are deleted.

However, you can indeed manually delete the Windows.old folder at anytime.

Delete Windows.old Folder in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Brink, May 4, 2017
  5. Thanks Brink. I just wondered how long it is til it does itself so you've answered that perfectly. Looks like I am a few hours short of ten days which is why it hasn't done it yet!

Scottyboy99, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How long til windows.old auto deletes

1. How long til windows.old auto deletes - Similar Threads - long til old

2. How to delete old email

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to delete old email: Hello, I am trying to delete old email, but still been able to check them before deletion. email - Hotmail I have 70856 in my Inbox and growing there must be a way to delete themPlease advise me how to do it Thank you...
  3. How to delete old email

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to delete old email: Hello, I am trying to delete old email, but still been able to check them before deletion. email - Hotmail I have 70856 in my Inbox and growing there must be a way to delete themPlease advise me how to do it Thank you...
  4. How to delete old email

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. How do you auto scroll long menu?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do you auto scroll long menu?: When I right-click on a file, there are a bunch of options here and I always find it hard to navigate to the property via mouse it is located at the end of this right-click menu. In order to navigate to this property menu, I have to click the arrows circled in red below. In...
  6. How do you auto scroll long menu?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you auto scroll long menu?: When I right-click on a file, there are a bunch of options here and I always find it hard to navigate to the property via mouse it is located at the end of this right-click menu. In order to navigate to this property menu, I have to click the arrows circled in red below. In...
  7. How do you auto scroll long menu?

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. How long until 20H2 auto-installs itself ?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How long until 20H2 auto-installs itself ?: So just wanted to know this because i literally have no idea and for me i think 2004 automatically forced installed if i remember right. If i am on 2004 right now how long it will be until 20H2 will force install itself on my PC just like 2004 did last year ? I mean how...
  9. How long until Windows.old is deleted?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How long until Windows.old is deleted?: I cannot find a firm answer but how long is until windows 10 automatically deletes/cleans up windows.old? I know one can run disk clean up but I was curious to know. I thought it was 7 days but 1809 was installed just over a week ago. I’ve left my machine idle for an hour but...
  10. How long until Windows.old is deleted?

in Windows 10 Support
    How long until Windows.old is deleted?: I cannot find a firm answer but how long is until windows 10 automatically deletes/cleans up windows.old? I know one can run disk clean up but I was curious to know. I thought it was 7 days but 1809 was installed just over a week ago. I’ve left my machine idle for an hour but...