Windows 10: How Many Hardware Changes Before Activation Fails?

Discus and support How Many Hardware Changes Before Activation Fails? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I've been experimenting installing Windows 10 FCU on an old 2004 PC (see System 2 spec). I originally installed a cheap Windows 7 licence then did... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Steve C, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Steve C Win User

How Many Hardware Changes Before Activation Fails?

I've been experimenting installing Windows 10 FCU on an old 2004 PC (see System 2 spec).

I originally installed a cheap Windows 7 licence then did an in place upgrade to Windows 10 which is activated with a digital licence linked to my MS account.

I then found some cheap RAM to increase the memory from 2GB to 4GB and replaced the HDD with a cheap SSD. Windows is still activated. I've also found a cheap CPU upgrade for the same motherboard. Do you think Windows will stay activated if I upgrade the CPU or am I pushing my luck?

I read somewhere the PC's activation signature is determined from the licence code and hardware configuration. Is the hardware configuration always referenced to the initial installation of Windows 10 or is it amended as you make changes to the hardware?

:)

Steve C, Nov 12, 2017

2. error code 0xc004f050 - windows 10

Windows 10 Upgrade must be Activated at Settings>Updates and Security>Activation before you can

Clean Install Windows 10
    and expect it to Activate.

Once Upgrade is activated it should reactivate after any reinstall or hardware change except the motherboard which always forces reactivation. If you have a motherboard change or any other hardware change that trips reactivation then refer to

How to Use Your Free Windows 10 License After Changing Your PC’s Hardware

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Nov 12, 2017
  3. Martmcd Win User
    Which is the best to purchase Windows 10 PRO OEM or FULL RETAIL PACK?

What does above sentence signify?

that there is a limit to the number of times you can make hardware changes and still (easily) activate windows 10, following a major hardware change.

What is the limit for activation?

I have not been able to find any definitive information on this only guesses, although it is likely that it is different between OEM and Retail.

Is it related only to new hardware changes?

Yes, you can reinstall (and activate) as many times as you wish if you have made no hardware changes.

If there is requirement to change hardware say Motherboard or Hard disk with same or different make & model number, then will the system get activated in Windows 10 OEM as well as FULL RETAIL PACK with the same copy (serial number) after linking
    the Microsoft account?

Yes, but I don't know how many times you can make such changes.

If I am formatting the system every 3/6 months, will there be any problem for activation related to the below sentence?

simply reformatting without hardware changes is not limited

if you do hit the limit, after major hardware changes, there might still be a way round it by talking with Microsoft.

I understand that minor hardware changes such as replacing the HDD are not affected by the limit.

Martmcd, Nov 12, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

From mine and other peoples testing, it seem there is a limit of three times a digital licence can be transferred.

However, if original 7 key is full retail (unlikely if cheap), you can install windows 7 an unlimited number of times (only on one pc at a time), but will need to use telephone activation periodically.

Once windows 7 licence is transferred to a new pc, you can install windows 10 and use windows 7 key to activate.

EDIT - memory and ssd do changes do not count. A CPU change provided mobo is unchanges should not count but I have heard conflicting stories.

cereberus, Nov 12, 2017
  5. Tony K Win User
    Tony K, Nov 12, 2017
  6. Steve C Win User
    Thanks. I guess I'll try upgrading the CPU and see what happens. The unknown factor is whether the 'footprint' is fixed the first time you activate Windows 10 or whether the 'footprint' is modified by MS as you change the hardware.

Steve C, Nov 12, 2017
  7. Tony K Win User
    Yes, that all remains a mystery as to how they keep record of the footprint vs the digital license. Of course they'll guard it a secret for piracy purposes I'd imagine.

Please let us know how it goes?

Tony K, Nov 12, 2017
  8. Steve C Win User

I 'upgraded' the CPU to a really cheap AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200 I found on eBay. It works fine and gives a substantial performance boost. During the past week I've increased the RAM from 2 to 4 GB, replaced the HDD with a basic SSD and changed the CPU. Windows 10 remains activated with a digital licence. I was going to retire this old PC but it actually works quite well in Windows 10 after a minor hardware investment.

I'm might experiment installing Windows 7 64 bit dual boot since my original licence was for Windows 7. Am I pushing my luck expecting both Windows versions to activate on the same PC?

Steve C, Nov 14, 2017
  9. Tony K Win User
    Good to hear, Steve. *Thumbs

Tony K, Nov 14, 2017
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    That action very specifically violates the End Users License Agreement:
    d. Multi use scenarios.
    (i) Multiple versions. If when acquiring the software you were provided with multiple versions (such as 32-bit and 64-bit versions), you may install and activate only one of those versions at a time.

NavyLCDR, Nov 14, 2017
  11. Steve C Win User
    I thought I might be OK with the activation since I can only use one OS at a time on the same PC. I don't want to screw up the Windows 10 activation which I'll mainly use so I bought another really cheap Windows 7 key.

Steve C, Nov 15, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    What Microsoft will physically allow with no problems at all is a completely different subject than what violates the EULA or not. I have multiple licenses for Windows due to purchasing a 3 license family pack a while back and then subsequently upgrading those computers to new, off the shelf computers with their own OEM licenses for Windows. I'm running multiple copies of Windows on one computer - but the thing is with the new digital licensing for Windows 10, my multiple copies of Windows installed on the same computer have no unique product keys associated with them. They have now all been clean installs at some time in the past which were done by skipping the product key and then activated with the digital license that was first created from upgrades from Windows 7 and 8 installs.

Multiple copies of Windows on the same computer will not cause any activation problems at all and they can all be activated with just the digital license stored on MS Activation Servers. But in order to comply with the EULA, I have a listing of my retail product keys stored in a text file, each product key represents either 1 license for Windows, and a couple of the product keys represent a 3-pack family license for Windows. But Microsoft does not even treat the 3-pack family license product key any different, when I was using it for the Windows 7 it was meant for, I still had to call MS to activate Windows 7 and lie to them and tell them it was installed on only one computer even though I was in full compliance with the EULA to have it installed on up to three computers.

NavyLCDR, Nov 15, 2017
  13. cereberus Win User

I think you missed part where OP says he has bought another cheap windows 7 key (Quote: so I bought another really cheap Windows 7 key), so would be in 100% compliance.

cereberus, Nov 15, 2017
  14. Steve C Win User
    My really cheap £2 Windows 7 key activated so I'm totally legal with dual boot Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 32 bit installations on my very old 2004 experimental PC.

The only thing is I installed Windows 7 after Windows 10 and have the text based multi-boot start-up menu. Can I restore the better looking Windows 10 blue style boot menu?

Steve C, Nov 17, 2017
  15. cereberus Win User
    There is a bcdedit command to do this but cannot remember off top of my head.

Easybcd app (free) will do this.

cereberus, Nov 17, 2017
Thema:

1. How Many Hardware Changes Before Activation Fails? - Similar Threads - Many Hardware Changes

2. Activation on hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation on hardware change: I have recently changed my motherboard and other parts I need to change the product code to the new device I have done this once before but that involved ringing Microsoft which overall was an awful experience is there any way I can do it in my settings...
  3. Windows 10 Activation - Hardware Change - Troubleshoot fail

Windows 10 Activation - Hardware Change - Troubleshoot fail: Hi, I just had to change my Motherboard, CPU, and Ram. I started the computer up and it worked, no pop ups about accounts. I proceded to reinstall windows, and then noted that my copy of windows wasn't activated. I ran the Activation troubleshooter and it find one...
  4. Windows 10 activation after hardware change failed

Windows 10 activation after hardware change failed: Linked digital code with Microsoft account, when changed hardware and tried to re-activate was unable to activate windows: We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later....
  5. Hardware upgrade, did not get key before changing the motherboard how to re-activate Windows ?

Hardware upgrade, did not get key before changing the motherboard how to re-activate Windows ?: Hi, I've recently upgraded my hardware but I didn't think of getting my product key before changing the MotherBoard. I should have a digital key because I upgraded Windows from 7 to 10 the free upgrade but when I try the troubleshooting in the settings it can't find it or...
  6. Windows 10 fails to activate after hardware change.

Windows 10 fails to activate after hardware change.: I recently did a complete computer rebuild, and just after activating Windows on my computer the KB4524147 hit my computer, and turned it into a high tech toaster and completely bricked it. BIOS wouldn't even recognize my SSD that it was installed on. So after re-flashing my...
  7. Cannot activate after hardware change, used digital license before

Cannot activate after hardware change, used digital license before: Dear Microsoft Community, I've run into a frustrating problem after I switched out my motherboard, Ram and Cpu. I know that the license is normally bound to the mainboard and therefore created an digital license linked to my Microsoft Account to cope that and dont get any...
  8. hardware change and activation

hardware change and activation: my pc running windows 10 was sent in twice to the manufacturer for motherboard issues while under warranty. now that the warranty period is over, i would like to swap out the motherboard all together. i would like to know if there will be a problem with automatic activation...
  9. Windows 10 fails to activate after hardware change

Windows 10 fails to activate after hardware change: I recently changed the motherboard in my desktop, and now my windows 10 license (from a retail purchase) fails to re-activate. I tried to follow the steps to re-activate in settings, as described here, but it consistently fails. Here are some screenshots of the failed...
  10. Hardware changes and activation

Hardware changes and activation: In my experience over many years of monkeying about with pc hardware, I have never had problems activating genuine copies of Windows. Changing cpu's, hdd's ram and graphics cards have never bothered Microsoft. Back in the XP days, I also changed motherboards with OEM software...