Windows 10: How much computer do we need?

Discus and support How much computer do we need? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My housemate wants to replace her XP computer with a Win 10 model. Her old Dell was always a slowpoke, so she wants a better machine, but inexpensive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Newmaven, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Newmaven Win User

How much computer do we need?

My housemate wants to replace her XP computer with a Win 10 model. Her old Dell was always a slowpoke, so she wants a better machine, but inexpensive.

She does e-mail, Web surfing, non-action games such as Freecell, and modest spreadsheets.

What sort of specs should she be looking for?

:)

Newmaven, Jun 20, 2017

2. How much Ram do we have in Lumia 1020?

I'll take the Nokia specs or official announcements over some 3rd party app. It's well possible the app just assumes there's not more than 2GB in any Windows Phone..

Maybe ask the app developer. If you want Nokia to answer you you're in the wrong place as this is a user to user support platform, try your direct contact uptions as seen
    HERE

Paul van der Heu, Jun 20, 2017
  3. How much Ram do we have in Lumia 1020?

I am a big Fan of Nokia and it's honest .I just found out something kind of wierd on my lumia 1020 with other ppl also wondering about same issue. We are meant to believe that our lumia 1020 comes with 2gb Ram that is accesible by the entire Os but how is
    it that when i use app like INSIDER to check system Info i only get 1gb as installed Ram and not 2Gb. Please am really hoping someone with the techincal knowhow can really explain to me how this 2gb Ram on the phone is implemented and why it's not available
    to the entire OS cause to me its seems like Nokia intentionally failed to mention that 1gb of the ram is hard wired to the camera module if what i have read on some forum is true which would techinally make this phone a 1gb ram phone and not 2gb as Nokia claims
    it is . So am really hoping someone with the techincal know how can help explain this better to me cause i really wanna believe nokia didnt intentional mislead me into believing i have a 2gb ram available to the entire phone. Reply would be highly Appreciated
    . thanks

wp_ss_20140201_0001[1].png

OkekeIkenna, Jun 20, 2017
  4. pepanee Win User

She can purchase the cheapest (price-wise) computer she can find at a store (like Fry's Electronics) to be able to do all that you specified. Any of the minimum possible specs in a new computer can do all that for her. Any new computer can handle those simple tasks now-a-days.

pepanee, Jun 20, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    And I would recommend an SSD upgrade to whatever she gets. That's the biggest performance booster you can add. If the computer she buys supports 2 SATA drives (or 3 if one is a DVD drive), then a 128 GB SSD is plenty, in addition to using the HDD that comes with the computer for file storage.

NavyLCDR, Jun 20, 2017
  6. pyramid10 Win User
    "What sort of specs should she be looking for?" "Inexpensive."

To avoid buyer's remorse, have an idea of what the price range will be. That is, buy what one can afford. 'Inexpensive' is too vague. One person's ceiling is another person's floor.

Since you use a laptop, would she follow suit? (Assumed the XP is a desktop) That might add to the price depending on the other specs and accessories.

Once one has established the price range and the form of the pc, one can shop for the function (better machine).

Pragmatically, most desktop pc's and laptops can help her do what she wants comfortably.

pyramid10, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How much computer do we need? - Similar Threads - much computer need

2. Do we need a new account to open Microsoft on new computer. Or, do we need to add account...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do we need a new account to open Microsoft on new computer. Or, do we need to add account...: We are trying to login to a BRAND new computer THAT WE STARTED TO SET UP. WE are unable or cannot sign in as a message pops up “oops something went wrong or “Violation of terms and conditions OR THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH YOUR ACCOUNT. The NEW COMPUTER Lenova Flex7i Evo Platform...
  3. Do we need a new account to open Microsoft on new computer. Or, do we need to add account...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Do we need a new account to open Microsoft on new computer. Or, do we need to add account...: We are trying to login to a BRAND new computer THAT WE STARTED TO SET UP. WE are unable or cannot sign in as a message pops up “oops something went wrong or “Violation of terms and conditions OR THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH YOUR ACCOUNT. The NEW COMPUTER Lenova Flex7i Evo Platform...
  4. Going to buy a computer, how much gb do I need?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Going to buy a computer, how much gb do I need?: I have an old computer I'm using right now since my old mac died. I want to switch to windows now, and I'm unsure how much storage I need. I know for a fact under 32 gb will be WAY too little since I will download some games and stuff. I was thinking 50-100 gb, is that good?...
  5. Do we "need" a separate admin account?

in Windows 10 Support
    Do we "need" a separate admin account?: I used to do this on my Win7 machines, pretty much because the internet told me I should. Is this still recommended practice? Some forum folks have said no, arguing that UAC provides the same protection. But that might have been with the caveat of UAC cranked to the max, I...
  6. How much do I need to reset my pc?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How much do I need to reset my pc?: How much time is needed to reset pc? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-much-do-i-need-to-reset-my-pc/7cfb2b9e-6875-4834-a02b-aed73c103d4a
  7. why do we need xbox live

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why do we need xbox live: I just want to know why people have to pay for Xbox live I love what you are doing Congarts on the Xbox series X amazing job. just please take my word and put one free Xbox live every two years. Or maybe remove Xbox live gold...
  8. how do I know how much ram my computer will accept?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    how do I know how much ram my computer will accept?: I just had to replaced my hard drive and would like to upgrade a little further. How can I find out what my computer will handle it has 4 slots with 8gb? all 4 have ram installed. i'm guessing 2gb per slot. will 4gb per slot work? what other info is needed to find this out?...
  9. how much space on my computer do I need for Windows ten ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how much space on my computer do I need for Windows ten ?: I would like to know how much space on my computer is needed to install Windows Ten ??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-much-space-on-my-computer-do-i-need-for/9202946f-c512-4f47-a733-11eec9280365
  10. How do we get microsoft to quit destroying computers?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How do we get microsoft to quit destroying computers?: I started using computers in the days of DOS. Computers where stable then. I would by a new computer every few years as technology advanced. It has been years since I have bought a new computer. The reason I do not buy computers is because Microsoft destroys them. After a...