Windows 10: How much RAM should I have to smoothly run a virtual machine?

Discus and support How much RAM should I have to smoothly run a virtual machine? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I want to maybe run a virtual machine with Linux or a different WIndows version. I currently have 4 GB ram & i5-4200 cpu. Since I can't change... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by mibaup, Jan 29, 2016.

1. mibaup Win User

How much RAM should I have to smoothly run a virtual machine?

I want to maybe run a virtual machine with Linux or a different WIndows version.

I currently have 4 GB ram & i5-4200 cpu.

Since I can't change CPU, do you think adding more RAM will make the VM run more smoothly?
    Or with these specs a VM won't run quite as fast.

Thanks

:)

mibaup, Jan 29, 2016
  2. Gerry C J Cornell, Jan 29, 2016
  3. Windows 10 Computer Randomly Freezes

The weird part about that is that I haven't had to run Oracle in a long time. I've been using VmWare instead. I'm not sure if Oracle can disable background settings or not.

RootBeer555000, Jan 29, 2016
  4. How much RAM should I have to smoothly run a virtual machine?

Adding more RAM will certainly help, Linux will use as much RAM as you can throw at it. However, most Linux will run fairly well in a VM (at least in a VirtualBox VM) with 1 GB or even 512 MB.

wreckwriter, Jan 29, 2016
  5. LMiller7 Win User
    8 GB RAM should be good for most situations. With 4 GB you can have a problem, depending on what you intend to do with the client OS and what else the host will be used for. Most client operating systems will need at least 1 GB RAM but that only for light use. Modern versions of Windows will want more. Give it any more and the host will run short which will also impact client performance.

Even with no virtual machines running 4 GB RAM is required for optimum performance of a 64 bit OS with 8 GB being better.

LMiller7, Jan 30, 2016
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
    I would also vote for 8GB of RAM. That will allow you to run at least 1 virtual machine in parallel.

7. Kari Win User
    An important factor to remember is not to give too much RAM for the virtual machines. The host needs some to function well, too.

An example: you have 4 GB of RAM, assigning 512 MB of it to your vm. The host has enough to run smoothly but the vm might seem a bit sluggish. Increasing the vm RAM to 1 or 2 GB will make it to run a bit better still allowing the host to run OK, but increasing the vm RAM to 3 GB defies the purpose; although the vm has now enough RAM to theoretically run as a dream, the host is left too little RAM to operate well and especially run the supporting tasks for the vm, make the vm, too sluggish.

My recommendation: never leave your host with too little RAM. If you have 4 GB on host, don't assign more than 2 GB for a vm. 8 GB or more, I would always leave at least 4 GB to host.

8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi folks.

Don't make the mistake of assuming that a VM needs a 1:1 Ratio with a Real machine for RAM -- also the latest versions of VMWARE and I believe HYPER-V (Kari can confirm I hope) use Dynamic RAM which allocates RAM only when the VM needs it --previously RAM was pre-allocated when a VM was powered on -- nowadays with the VM software I've mentioned above the RAM size setting is usually the MAXIMUM RAM that a VM will grab when it's running -- often when idling the RAM usage is very small. (Note these are for the latest versions of VMware (rel 11 and above) and I think all releases of HYPER-V within W10).

8GB should give you enough RAM to run 3 or 4 decent VM's --16GB IMO is better if you have a desktop system. These days the bottleneck is likely to be HIDEOUSLY SLOW I/O - so your best bet is to have the VM's on an SSD, a fast external USB 3 drive or a fast 6Gb/s SATA HDD.

Of course this assumes that the VM isn't running masses of high CPU intensive processes like editing / converting huge video files etc. Running typical desk top office like applications I've had no probs running 6 concurrent Windows VM's on a 16GB system including a W2K3 R2 server VM which was serving my Audio / Video files --now going to be replaced by a dedicated CENTOS R7 system to be used as a NAS box running in an HP Gen8 Micro server and serving up video / audio via PLEX and LOGITECH MEDIA SERVER (Squeezebox).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Feb 2, 2016
  9. lx07 Win User
    Only the paid VMware Workstation allows dynamic RAM - the free Workstation Player does not. Hyper-V does also but you need 10 Pro not home. VirtualBox doesn't.

I use Dynamic RAM for my VMs, Windows seems to use 700MB-1.3GB idling, Arch Linux uses ~350MB so if you can't use dynamic RAM 2GB for Windows or 1GB for Linux would be OK to start with - you can always change it if it seems slow.

lx07, Feb 2, 2016
  10. Batigoal Win User
    Just one basic questions about Virtualbox:

Is it possible to deinstall the programm without reducing RAM on your stadard system. I know while installing "virtualbox" you need to throw RAM on the new system, so I am wondering wheather this comes back when deleting "virtualbox"? Is there any risk while useing "virtual box" that could have consequences in the longterm for the whole system (I am useing 8 RAM)

Batigoal, Mar 29, 2016
  11. WHS
    whs Win User
    Nah, when you delete all the virtual stuff, the RAM comes back home.

12. The biggest boost to VM and host performance is an SSD. The performance gain is often dramatic to say the least. 8GB of ram and an SSD is currently my sweetspot.

Cbarnhorst, Mar 29, 2016
  13. Batigoal Win User

Alright thanks for the information. I've got one last question:

Is there a free operating system like e.g. linux for "virtualbox" available?. It's not in my plans to buy a new system...

Batigoal, Mar 29, 2016
  14. strollin Win User
    It's not even necessary to delete the VM to regain the RAM, simply shutting down the VM will return the RAM to the Host OS.

It may be that the you are actually asking about disk space and not RAM. In that case, uninstalling "virtualbox" or other virtual software won't recover the disk space taken up by the individual guest VMs, it is necessary to delete each VM in order to recover that disk space.

strollin, Mar 29, 2016
  15. WHS
    whs Win User
Thema:

1. How much RAM should I have to smoothly run a virtual machine? - Similar Threads - much RAM should

2. How much virtual memory should I get for 16GB of RAM in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How much virtual memory should I get for 16GB of RAM in Windows 11?: Hello,How much virtual memory should I get for 16GB of RAM in Windows 11?My system:Windows 11SSD WD 850 Black - 1tb G.Skill Neo - 16Gb RAMProcessor AMD 3700X - 8 cores :16 threadsHDD Seagate 3tb Video card- Nitro+ AMD RADEON RX6700XT...
  3. How much virtual memory should I get for 16GB of RAM in Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How much virtual memory should I get for 16GB of RAM in Windows 11?: Hello,How much virtual memory should I get for 16GB of RAM in Windows 11?My system:Windows 11SSD WD 850 Black - 1tb G.Skill Neo - 16Gb RAMProcessor AMD 3700X - 8 cores :16 threadsHDD Seagate 3tb Video card- Nitro+ AMD RADEON RX6700XT...
  4. Why is this vmmem using 400 mb of ram, when i dont have a virtual machine running

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why is this vmmem using 400 mb of ram, when i dont have a virtual machine running: Why is this vmmem using 400 mb of ram, when i dont have a virtual machine running.Every time i start my computer this program uses 400 mb of ram is this a virus disguised or a virus using a virtual machine to do stuff for example mining crypto?[Note : I didn't know what topic...
  5. Why is this vmmem using 400 mb of ram, when i dont have a virtual machine running

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is this vmmem using 400 mb of ram, when i dont have a virtual machine running: Why is this vmmem using 400 mb of ram, when i dont have a virtual machine running.Every time i start my computer this program uses 400 mb of ram is this a virus disguised or a virus using a virtual machine to do stuff for example mining crypto?[Note : I didn't know what topic...
  6. Why is this vmmem using 400 mb of ram, when i dont have a virtual machine running

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How much virtual memory should i set?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How much virtual memory should i set?: I have installed ram 4 gb on my lenovo yoga laptop i want to increase it to 6gbfor a game,but dont know how much should the virtual memory be set?pls answer....
  8. Virtual Machine Running Issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Virtual Machine Running Issue: Hi Guys... I am using VM Ware Workstation Pro 15, I want to run virtual machine on it. It displays an error is (VMware Workstation and Device/Credential Guard are not compatible. VMware Workstation can be run after disabling Device/Credential Guard.)...
  9. Hyper V or Virtual box ? and can I run a virtual machine if i only have 4gb of ram?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hyper V or Virtual box ? and can I run a virtual machine if i only have 4gb of ram?: Which one is better ? Hyper v or virtual box ? I just want to test a few things ( the first time i'm using a virtual machine ), and you need to do the same process like a normal installation of windows ? means that i need a usb flash drive right? because the process might be...
  10. Hyper-V Nested Virtualization: Run virtual machines on virtual machine

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hyper-V Nested Virtualization: Run virtual machines on virtual machine: How to: Hyper-V Nested Virtualization: Run virtual machines on virtual machine [img] Information Nested Virtualization means that user can enable Hyper-V on existing virtual machines, and run virtual machines and Windows Sandbox on them. To make Nested Virtualization...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. CAN VIRTualbox run smoothly in 4 gb

2. how much ram to access and run a Virtual machine

3. how much ram should i have for virtual machines