Windows 10: How much slower will your PC feel after patching for Spectre-Meltdown?

Discus and support How much slower will your PC feel after patching for Spectre-Meltdown? in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Intel has published both data collected from both users and synthetic benchmarks and the bottom line is that users will experience a real-world... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Borg 386, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Borg 386 Win User

How much slower will your PC feel after patching for Spectre-Meltdown?

How much slower will your PC feel after patching for Spectre-Meltdown? [​IMG]

How much slower will your PC feel after patching for Spectre-Meltdown? | ZDNet

Borg 386, Jan 11, 2018
  2. Bat 1 Win User

Rough guestimating since I deleted the earlier benchmarks on my Win 8.1 laptop with an older i5 3210m I had a little under a 1% decrease in the multi-thread performance and a little over a 1% decrease in single-thread performance. Pretty much in the margin of error ?

Thing is, it actually "feels" faster but that could possibly be from the other updates I installed at the same time ?

:)

Bat 1, Jan 11, 2018
  3. Pixelme Win User
    Windows Update Intel Patches for Meltdown & Spectre

URGENT - Please Microsoft:

1. Provide a List of Windows Updates that included the (bad) Intel Patches for Meltdown & Spectre (which Intel now say should NOT be installed).

2. Advise IF (and HOW) the Windows Updates that included (bad) Intel Patches for Meltdown & Spectre should be 'removed' by End Users?

3. If Microsoft Identifies (to it's Community) Windows Updates that included (bad) Intel Patches, can Users remove them - while still getting any other 'fixes' (that did NOT relate to Meltdown & Spectre) included in the Same Windows Updates that contained
    the (bad) Patches for Meltdown & Spectre?

4. How do Users ensure that ant Windows Updates they remove - to 'eject' the (bad) Intel Patch for Meltdown & Spectre - are not 'automatically' re-installed' later - by Automatic Windows Updates, when Windows notices the 'removed updates' are not installed?

Note: I've looked at the Microsoft.com Descriptions of Numerous Recent Windows Updates and (although some refer to 'security') none seem to specifically mention Intel, Meltdown or Spectre - so I can't determine which Windows Updates included the 'bad' Intel
    Patches.

Pixelme, Jan 11, 2018
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Spectre and meltdown

Hi CMC69, below is a link that provides a list of the patches released and possibly installed on your system for Spectre and Meltdown:

https://www.techarp.com/guides/microsoft-spectr...

If these are installed, you can uninstall these from Control Panel - Programs and Features - View Installed Updates . . .

DaveM121, Jan 11, 2018
Thema:

1. How much slower will your PC feel after patching for Spectre-Meltdown? - Similar Threads - much slower feel

2. How to disable Downfall patch and Meltdown/Spectre patch together

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to disable Downfall patch and Meltdown/Spectre patch together: As you know, MS just release a method to disable Downfall patchhttps://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5029778-how-to-manage-the-vulnerability-associated-with-cve-2022-40982-d461157c-0411-4a91-9fc5-9b29e0fe2782Registry location:...
  3. How to disable Downfall patch and Meltdown/Spectre patch together

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to disable Downfall patch and Meltdown/Spectre patch together: As you know, MS just release a method to disable Downfall patchhttps://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5029778-how-to-manage-the-vulnerability-associated-with-cve-2022-40982-d461157c-0411-4a91-9fc5-9b29e0fe2782Registry location:...
  4. Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.: Hi, a couple of days ago I disabled Spectre and Meltdown on my Windows 11 22H2 Laptop and now I am trying to enable it again but I can't seem to get it to work. I have tried using a app called "InSpectre" to enable it but it didn't work and i also changed a couple of registry...
  5. Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Spectre and Meltdown not enabling.: Hi, a couple of days ago I disabled Spectre and Meltdown on my Windows 11 22H2 Laptop and now I am trying to enable it again but I can't seem to get it to work. I have tried using a app called "InSpectre" to enable it but it didn't work and i also changed a couple of registry...
  6. spectre and meltdown

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    spectre and meltdown: After installed windows 10 1809 from 1709. I haven't perform any bios/uefi update except windows update. But inspectre program says microcode update available: yes instead of no. not to mention last time I performed bios/uefi update about 2 years ago. I'm...
  7. A year after Spectre and Meltdown, how well do patches work?

in Windows 10 News
    A year after Spectre and Meltdown, how well do patches work?: Attempts to mitigate the landmark vulnerabilities have caused crashes, sudden reboots, and performance degradations. Here's the progress report on the Spectre and Meltdown solution. The now-infamous Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities were first disclosed on January 4,...
  8. GRC InSpectre Shows Meltdown and Spectre Patched??

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    GRC InSpectre Shows Meltdown and Spectre Patched??: GRC InSpectre Shows Meltdown and Spectre Patched? Re: Doesn't One of These Patches Require Flashing The Bios? I did not run Gibson's InSpectre some three weeks or so ago when I was unceremoniously updated from 1703 to 1709. I thought that either Meltdown or Spectre patches...
  9. Spectre & Meltdown patches ruined it for me!

in Windows 10 Support
    Spectre & Meltdown patches ruined it for me!: Well as the title says the Spectre & Meltdown patches ruined the good experience I was having with my PC and it now feels like I am using a very old and out of date laptop. I must agree that my laptop is pretty old (HP Elitebook 8770W 5 years old). But I really never felt...
  10. Freeze after meltdown/spectre patch ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Freeze after meltdown/spectre patch ?: So after arriving home from holidays I noticed windows was installing the latest patches including the one for the recently discovered vulnerabilities. After 1-3 days problems started to appear, my computer would randomly freeze, first I wouldnt be able to click anything,...