Windows 10: How routers manage to login web with blanket username/password ?

Discus and support How routers manage to login web with blanket username/password ? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; During the setup of a router recently purchased to replace my old faulty one , I stumbled on my own misconception. The manufacturer's instruction was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ron Wolpa, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Ron Wolpa Win User

How routers manage to login web with blanket username/password ?

During the setup of a router recently purchased to replace my old faulty one , I stumbled on my own misconception.
    The manufacturer's instruction was to chose PPPoE menu on the Internet connection type , which prompted fields to type username and password.
    It was recommended for my DSL provider to type "client@client" in the username field and "client" as password.
    I gave it a try and surprisingly got a connection (lan of my desktop).
    A couple of years ago as I configured my old router , I thought that I should type into the equivalent fields of the TP-LINK interface , my DSL authentication email and respective password. On that time I did it and it worked.
    I thought that the router employed such info to dial through the modem and to log in the server of my provider.
    Then on the new router interface I typed my authentication email and password , it worked as I expected it would.
    Minutes ago , I discovered that I had mistyped the password : I missed one letter and even so I got the connection (and not an error message ). That means anyone who has a DSL modem and a router can use my phone line and to log in.
    The same does not happen If I plug the modem direct to the LAN port of the desktop , in this case the authentication info is required.
    How the router manages to dial without the correct authentication info or with a generic username/password ?
    Thanks

:)

Ron Wolpa, Dec 11, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User

is microsoft password the same as microsoft edge password?

As Bruce said, Microsoft Edge doesn't use a password. You may be seeing a prompt for your router's management interface.

If you did not give your router's management interface a password, you really need to. More on that later. For now, your router's management interface is probably using the default username and password given at the factory.

It's easy to find out what they are. Just run a web search for:

router model default username password

where router is the brand of your router, and

model is the model number of your router

The management interface has all the controls for your router. Unless you change the password, anyone can sign in to your router (using the same web search) and take control of your network. Also, anyone can join your network (even if they're outside on
    the street) and use your internet connection.

BulldogXX, Dec 11, 2017
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    security

Hi student_956,

Changing the password on your router is the biggest thing you can do . . .

On the Router should be a sticker with an IP Address, Default user name and password . . .

Open a Web Browser on your PC, enter the IP address into the Address bar of the Browser

Then login with the default username and password

Change the Username and put in a good password - 10 characters or more including alphabet, number and symbol characters

Store this password somewhere safe on your PC

The next time you log into the router you will have to enter this password once and Windows 10 will then remember it . . .

DaveM121, Dec 11, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

The newer Gateway's do not need a username and password. The Headend ATM knows what account the Serial number and MAC belong to. It is a always on connection with the newer gateways also.

bro67, Dec 11, 2017
Thema:

1. How routers manage to login web with blanket username/password ? - Similar Threads - routers manage login

2. Username-password login

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Username-password login: OK so I want to make to where you need a username and password like for when you are logging into a remote cpu I followed the steps but it will not show up here is a set of pictures to help identify it...
  3. Username-password login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Username-password login: OK so I want to make to where you need a username and password like for when you are logging into a remote cpu I followed the steps but it will not show up here is a set of pictures to help identify it...
  4. Username-password login

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Require Username & Password For Login

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Require Username & Password For Login: I just got a new laptop with Windows 10 Home edition. I'm a little bit of a power user and prefer to have separate accounts for different uses- one for gaming and entertainment, and one for more important things like banking, work, etc. For security reasons, on my previous...
  6. How to enable username and password for login

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to enable username and password for login: How can I enable username and password for login? like you have to type in username AND password. I have windows 10, version 2004. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-enable-username-and-password-for-login/157c9701-f601-44a5-a480-45244e469edd
  7. Password and username login

Password and username login: I just posted the question regarding manually logging in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-and-username-login/755eceb8-be5f-4c8d-9201-37475b01451e
  8. Password and username login

Password and username login: When I go to certain websites that require a username and password this information seems to be there and I just have to use the enter button. How do I change this format so that I have to manually type in the username and password because I don't feel comfortable with the...
  9. How to login with username and password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to login with username and password: [ATTACH] Above is a rough example of what I am trying to do. I don't want to sign in with any other method, I want to use the above. No combo of my username and password works. The password I am using is the PIN assigned to the account before enabling this method. This is...
  10. How to Find Your Router Login and Password

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to Find Your Router Login and Password: Every so often one needs to log into their router to rename it or maybe even make some tweaks to the settings. It's easy enough to with little risk even for novice users. If this is your first time logging into your router, you'll need the default login and password then...