Windows 10: How run Scans without PC going to sleep

Discus and support How run Scans without PC going to sleep in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; This has been bugging me. When I run a long scan of say Malwarebytes Custom Scan or Microsoft Safety Scanner after a certain amount of time, my PC... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Jeddie, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Jeddie Win User

How run Scans without PC going to sleep

This has been bugging me.

When I run a long scan of say Malwarebytes Custom Scan or Microsoft Safety Scanner after a certain amount of time, my PC goes to sleep. And of course the scan stops until I move the mouse to wake it and the scan re-starts.
    Some of these scans take many many hours to complete because of this sleep/wake/sleep cycle.

I don't really want to touch my sleep / power settings each time I run a scan?

So how do you guys handle this? I would love to be able to run these longer scans when I go to bed and wakeup to a completed scan.

:)

Jeddie, Nov 19, 2017
  2. thewamp Win User

Problem Performing Full Scan

Even though I have power settings set to never let the computer go to sleep, It goes to sleep and Windows Defender. running a full scan on C:, stops scanning. How can I keep the scan running to completion?

thewamp, Nov 19, 2017
  3. Windows Defender Full Scan

I am trying to run a full scan with Windows Defender, but my PC goes into sleep mode even though I changed the settings to never go into sleep mode (just for this one time scan, then I'll add a sleep mode time). Anyways, when my PC goes into sleep mode
    it seems like Windows Defender pauses at that point. I want to do a full scan, but I do not want to sit at my PC all day making sure that Windows Defender is still running. Does anyone know the best PC Virus/Malware cleaner? My PC is having trouble with
    the internet, I keep getting "kill the page", ect.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

MelanyClay, Nov 19, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

That's the only way it's done....it's a big PITA but that's the only way.

Plankton, Nov 19, 2017
  5. Porthos Win User
    Porthos, Nov 25, 2017
  6. MrHudson Win User
    I don't really want to touch my sleep / power settings each time I run a scan?

So how do you guys handle this? I would love to be able to run these longer scans when I go to bed and wakeup to a completed scan.

I set mine to never sleep, When I bought this laptop, first full scan I did, it scanned 1.9 million files. when it crashed and I did clean install, scan never broke 500k. HP had a lot of stuff on here.

MrHudson, Nov 29, 2017
  7. torre Win User
    To my knowledge, the sleep/power settings must be temporarily changed to due a scan when you are not present.

torre, Nov 30, 2017
  8. MrHudson Win User

How run Scans without PC going to sleep [​IMG]

Max time is 5 hours.

MrHudson, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How run Scans without PC going to sleep - Similar Threads - run Scans without

2. PC not going to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC not going to sleep: Have a problem of pc not going to sleep, even tho display gets turned off.Through "powercfg /systemsleepdiagnostics" I'm seeing "The system idle time was reset because: An application requires system execution." which is being reported every minute at the time I'm afk. Looked...
  3. PC not going to sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC not going to sleep: Have a problem of pc not going to sleep, even tho display gets turned off.Through "powercfg /systemsleepdiagnostics" I'm seeing "The system idle time was reset because: An application requires system execution." which is being reported every minute at the time I'm afk. Looked...
  4. PC not going to sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to turn off screen without going to sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to turn off screen without going to sleep mode: I have a tablet PC running Windows on Arm version 21H2 19044.1706, and it does not have an option to turn off the display when the power button is pressed. When I am working remotely on the machine over RDP or SSH, I want to turn off the screen because it gets hot. Earlier I...
  6. Pc not going to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pc not going to sleep: I’ve had my pc for almost 2 years and have never had a problem until recently. And that is that it’s just not going into sleep mode. Every once in a while, it will go to sleep. But 99% off the time the screen will turn off, but the pc itself will stay active. I’ve tried most...
  7. PC is not going to sleep

in Windows 10 Customization
    PC is not going to sleep: My computer is waking up on its own. I tried to fix it but failed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-is-not-going-to-sleep/57a3cf27-eb2b-4880-a222-c5c341c6c877
  8. How to run Scan?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to run Scan?: I need to run a security scan. How do I do that? [Original Title: security] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/how-to-run-scan/af85932c-bad8-4f5a-9e95-783045f83012
  9. Password without going on sleep mode ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password without going on sleep mode ?: Hii i want to know if it is possible to require the password without going on sleep mode because i need to live my laptop downloading a file and keep it safe so no one will use it behind my back...
  10. PC going to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC going to sleep: I have a Lenovo Yoga laptop running W10. All of the power settings are set to not sleep (or display to go dark) when the machine is plugged into power. Despite this the laptop always sleeps after about 5 minutes of non use. How can I fix this? Thanks....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. when i run a scan my computer goes into sleep mode & stops scanning