Windows 10: How safe is it to install it on a spare drive in my PC?

Discus and support How safe is it to install it on a spare drive in my PC? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey all, I've had a spare SSD laying around so I decided to pop it into my case and install the Technical Preview on it. I read up on how it's safer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by apav, Oct 21, 2014.

1. apav Win User

How safe is it to install it on a spare drive in my PC?

Hey all,

I've had a spare SSD laying around so I decided to pop it into my case and install the Technical Preview on it. I read up on how it's safer to use it in a VM and that it's dangerous to install it onto a drive, but I think that's more pointed at people who overwrote their old Windows installations with the technical preview.

I'm using Windows 7 on one SSD, my data/backup HDD and another SSD for Windows 10. Are my other two drives at risk or anything if something goes wrong with using/updating the technical preview?

Thanks!

:)

2. FLASH PLAYER IS IT SAFE TO INSTALL ON A LAPTOP

IS IT SAFE TO INSTALL A FLASH PLAYER IN MY LAPTOP

REY AND PERCYMARIANO, Oct 21, 2014
  3. Is it safe to install gdr2 (8.10.15116.125) in my phone?

Hi.

I have found that there is an issue with in-app text rendering in GDR2.

The text rendering bug has been inherited from the Windows 10 preview builds.

The bug can also be found in the OS version included with the Lumia 640 LTE, which has a slightly later version of GDR2 than the version included in the Windows Insider app.

I have started a discussion about it here:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8-wpupdate/text-rendering-bug-in-wp-81-gdr2-inherited-from/9fccc697-4e35-4ab7-88c5-e87ba367645b?tm=1431677833707

chancooluk, Oct 21, 2014
  4. How safe is it to install it on a spare drive in my PC?

Hi and welcome to TenForums,
    I believe it's dangerous to dual boot with win-10 on the same drive as another os,
    If it's a totally separate drive ssd you'll be fine,
    VM is okay depending on your amount of ram I suppose but a ssd or hdd would be best,
    Allot of people use vmplayer and say everything is great,
    There have been reports of slowness though,
    Cheers.

ThrashZone, Oct 21, 2014
  5. Berton Win User
    Yes, there can be pitfalls when installing on an existing setup, best to use a different HDD as the only one rather than the only or production machine. I'm lucky to have a Dell Inspiron 530S [SFF/Small Form Factor] that I was given and got it working with Vista but I used a different 500GB HDD, only holds one. It is just now finishing the latest Build installation.

Berton, Oct 21, 2014
  6. badrobot Win User
    It is the safest. Period. Enjoy! *Smile

badrobot, Oct 21, 2014
  7. jadinolf Win User
    I have done exactly that.

If I have a problem I'd be surprised.

jadinolf, Oct 21, 2014
  8. How safe is it to install it on a spare drive in my PC?

I have it on a Dual Boot on SSD with Win7 and have had no problems, works flawlessly. I haven't been back to my Win7 install in almost two weeks.

Dual Boot issues were eliminated in Win7 and are extremely rare since XP. There is not anything remotely "dangerous" in Dual Booting as long as you're able to shrink the extant OS and then choose the correct partition to install upon.

gregrocker, Oct 21, 2014
  9. If you don't have a choice but dual boot on same drive that okay according to the many on this forum that have done it.
    I chose to do a dual boot on a separate ssd and it does work well so far.

Layback Bear, Oct 22, 2014
  10. Charlie Win User
    apav
    I dual boot on the same drive 7 with 10 and had a problem after the upgrade to the 9860. The 10 would boot but not the 7. Start up repair fixed it. Good luck to you.

Charlie, Oct 22, 2014
  11. adamf Win User
    I am dual booting TP and OSX on the same disk and have no issues at all. Ideally I'd use another disk but have not figured out how to boot from external drive.

There have been some mentions (like post 83 here Windows 10 Build 9860 Now Available) about Build 9860 upgrade messing with another windows installation if you are dual booting with that. Seems it is best to disconnect your other OS before upgrading TP.

adamf, Oct 22, 2014
  12. apav Win User
    Wish I would've saw this before I updated. Thankfully I didn't have any issues with either my Win 10 or 7 installations after updating to build 9860, but I'll do that in the future.

Guys since we're on the topic of dual booting I have one more question. When I turn my computer on and get to the dual boot screen, if I select Windows 7 my computer fully restarts (from black screen, to the BIOS splash screen) and then boots to Windows 7, this time without showing the dual boot screen. If I select Windows 10, it boots into that without restarting. It's not a big deal, but it's a little annoying when I have to restart and boot into Windows 7 multiple times for updates, installations/uninstallations, ect. Is there a way to make it like Windows 10 where my computer doesn't have to restart when I select the OS? I looked around but couldn't find anything about this really.

13. DavidE Win User

DavidE, Oct 25, 2014
  14. apav Win User

15. DavidE Win User
    I think it's because they have started to "pre-load" the Win 10 OS to have a GUI boot menu.
    If that's true, it probably needs to do a restart to boot from the older Windows partition.
    Just guessing here.

I don't look at a boot screen very much, so I don't mind the old style.
    I've been using it for years, so I'm use to it.
    I prefer the old style boot menu to having "a restart" to use Win 7.

DavidE, Oct 25, 2014
Thema:

1. How safe is it to install it on a spare drive in my PC? - Similar Threads - safe install spare

2. How to safe my drive from virus?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to safe my drive from virus?: I have 2 storage drive. One SSD for only OS & another HDD for store my data. Previous day, I extract a zip file contains a software. The file is in my HDD for 2-3 years. Sorry to say, but that time, the windows defender was of. I used the software and suddenly the virus thing...
  3. Windows will not boot when spare SSD is installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows will not boot when spare SSD is installed: I have been using a Samsung evo 870 for extra space on my computer for awhile now but all of a sudden whenever it is installed on my motherboard my PC will stay in an automatic repair loop forever. I can use my windows installation media to try and repair windows or my SSD,...
  4. Windows will not boot when spare SSD is installed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows will not boot when spare SSD is installed: I have been using a Samsung evo 870 for extra space on my computer for awhile now but all of a sudden whenever it is installed on my motherboard my PC will stay in an automatic repair loop forever. I can use my windows installation media to try and repair windows or my SSD,...
  5. Moving spare drives to a new computer.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Moving spare drives to a new computer.: I just built my new computer and installed windows on a new drive. I've moved my spare drives D:, E: and F: on the old puter to the computer and now they all have "System Reserved" partitions and my data isn't accessible. Any idea how to get to these files? Any help...
  6. Cannot clean/format spare drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot clean/format spare drive: Last time I opened up my PC, I installed an old ~600 GB HDD from a previous computer. I recently decided (after a headache involving the BIOS deciding it wanted to boot to said drive) to format it, and reclaim that space for my current PC. However, every time I try to get...
  7. Spare product key

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Spare product key: I'm unemployed so not much money spare, does anyone have a computer / laptop they no longer need with an MS office product key they no longer require? 142247
  8. The power module on my laptop died, so I installed my hard drive in a spare laptop. Now...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    The power module on my laptop died, so I installed my hard drive in a spare laptop. Now...: The power module on my laptop died, so I installed my hard drive in a spare laptop. Now Windows is not activated. How can I get it activated? No error code. Went through troubleshooting with no luck. Tried "Talk to an Agent" which is actually a robot. I had no way of...
  9. How to know if my PC is safe ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to know if my PC is safe ?: How to know if my PC is currently safe and don't have anyone trying to steal data / files from my computer? I have a No.1 enemy that we hate each other so much, and he is a game programmer, I don't know how deep his knowledge is, what I can do is to look for ways to protect...
  10. signing on to my spare laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    signing on to my spare laptop: I forgot my password to sign on to my spare laptop. The laptop tells me I can sign in with my Microsoft password, but that doesn't work. Running Win 10. any suggestions?...