Windows 10: How Secure Is Bitlocker?

Discus and support How Secure Is Bitlocker? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have read, on the Internet, that Bitlocker can be got into, without using the password, by 'experts using encryption breaking tools. I use a 13... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by theoldfarter, Dec 16, 2015.

1. How Secure Is Bitlocker?

I have read, on the Internet, that Bitlocker can be got into, without using the password, by 'experts using encryption breaking tools.

I use a 13 part password, incorporating upper case & lower case letters, numbers and special (punctuation?) symbols.

So, just how secure is Bitlocker?

:)

theoldfarter, Dec 16, 2015

2. How secure is Remote Desktop?

It's more secure than if you were just sitting in front of the computer directly and using a keyboard there. What types of concerns do you have?

Windows enforces the same password policies for remote connections as it does in person, so no one can just keep trying billions of passwords hoping to find the right one -- they would get locked out after the 3rd try.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Dec 16, 2015
  3. How secure is the phones Pin?

did you set remote lock you can lock it with a text if you did

the phone lock on the phone the Nokia default 12345 is NOT secure at all I think a software update resets it to default 12345

If however it is a SIM pin lock even only 4 digits then that is secure but a different sim will access the phone memory and your vids

I always have the SIM lock on to just to protect my account but the Nokia pin I dont rate at all

Contact the provider for your service THEY CAN LOCK IT OUT of the network on the imie thats not undo able in UK and is secure

but it only stops it making calls not access to the phone internal mem

but some countries do not use the imie lock so it could be sold on abroad

ivor_bigun, Dec 16, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

How Secure Is Bitlocker?

There really isn't a better alternative. The only real alternative, TrueCrypt has been officially discontinued, and while they didn't come out and say it, it's likely that it's able to be broken by a sufficiently powerful cracking hardware.

If you're using a TPM chip, then its going to be secure against all but the most determined attackers. For instance, one method of attacking such a system is to freeze the RAM in liquid nitrogen, then use an electron Microscope to read the "state" of the RAM, and search it for the encryption keys in memory. There's also a technique that can use an active Firewire port to read memory (though most PC's don't have firewire ports, and most that do have them disabled by default).

In general, the XKCD rule applies: xkcd: Security

If you can get into the system, it's likely that anyone that is determined enough to crack your system will just torture you, use leverage against you, or some other tactic to simply get you to divulge your password.

Mystere, Dec 16, 2015
  5. @Mystere
    My laptop does not have a TPM chip. "freeze the RAM", "electron microscope" ... heck, this sounds very Jame Bond style. lol.
    I never thought of it that way before. I suppose it does happen in some circles.

"torture you, use leverage against you" ... They would have the password just by showing me a set of 'nut' crackers. After all, they would only find some 'cough' sensitive videos that I don't want my wife to know about. lol

How about if I was a drug smuggler and the police wanted to 'crack' the Bitlocker for information, would they be able to, within the law?

Your link to xkcd.com does not make sense to me as I find no information about security. What is it supposed to show?

6. Mystere Win User
    It's a cartoon.

Mystere, Dec 16, 2015
  7. Ah, I see the cartoon now. On my previous visit, where the cartoon is, was just blank.

8. How Secure Is Bitlocker?

All the attacks on Bitlocker, require to computer to be already running and unlocked. Otherwise they are forced to brute force the password and orcthe encryption key, both highly time consuming. More so if you have a long secure password.

To further add, the same attacks they use on Bitlocker work the same for other disk encryption schemes. They try to pull the encryption key from the RAM of an active machine.

logicearth, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

How Secure Is Bitlocker?

1. How Secure Is Bitlocker? - Similar Threads - Secure Bitlocker

2. Massive Security Flaw - Bitlocked Files Can Be Opened From "Recent Files" ...While "Locked"...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Massive Security Flaw - Bitlocked Files Can Be Opened From "Recent Files" ...While "Locked"...: Simple steps to reproduce:Unlock a bitlocked drive.Open a file from that drive example = image fileReboot machine, confirm drive is relocked.From "Recent Items," attempt to open the fileThe file opens, even though the drive is lockedWHOA!Obviously this is a massive security...
  3. Massive Security Flaw - Bitlocked Files Can Be Opened From "Recent Files" ...While "Locked"...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Massive Security Flaw - Bitlocked Files Can Be Opened From "Recent Files" ...While "Locked"...: Simple steps to reproduce:Unlock a bitlocked drive.Open a file from that drive example = image fileReboot machine, confirm drive is relocked.From "Recent Items," attempt to open the fileThe file opens, even though the drive is lockedWHOA!Obviously this is a massive security...
  4. Massive Security Flaw - Bitlocked Files Can Be Opened From "Recent Files" ...While "Locked"...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. I have a BitLocker API warning related to Secure Boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a BitLocker API warning related to Secure Boot: For the past few months I have been having occasional problems with booting up my computer. Sometimes I will open my laptop for the first time that day, and be greeted with a blue "BitLocker Recovery" screen asking for my recovery key. A few days ago when I opened my laptop,...
  6. I have a BitLocker API warning related to Secure Boot

I have a BitLocker API warning related to Secure Boot: For the past few months I have been having occasional problems with booting up my computer. Sometimes I will open my laptop for the first time that day, and be greeted with a blue "BitLocker Recovery" screen asking for my recovery key. A few days ago when I opened my laptop,...
  7. After an update it keeps asking for the bitlocker security key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After an update it keeps asking for the bitlocker security key: I've tried all the options possible, and need help urgently please. Since the update I need to insert the Bitlocker Security key with each start up....
  8. After an update it keeps asking for the bitlocker security key

After an update it keeps asking for the bitlocker security key: I've tried all the options possible, and need help urgently please. Since the update I need to insert the Bitlocker Security key with each start up....
  9. [SECURITY] File names and file thumbnails from locked BitLocker drive visible in Recent section

in Windows 10 Gaming
    [SECURITY] File names and file thumbnails from locked BitLocker drive visible in Recent section: This issue was previously mentioned in this thread, however the provided response was not an answer to the question being asked.There is a clear security issue regarding BitLocker drives. After locking the drive via: manage-bde -lock -ForceDismount x:the file names and...
  10. [SECURITY] File names and file thumbnails from locked BitLocker drive visible in Recent section

[SECURITY] File names and file thumbnails from locked BitLocker drive visible in Recent section: This issue was previously mentioned in this thread, however the provided response was not an answer to the question being asked.There is a clear security issue regarding BitLocker drives. After locking the drive via: manage-bde -lock -ForceDismount x:the file names and...
Tags: