Windows 10: How stop Cortana opening Edge

Discus and support How stop Cortana opening Edge in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I thought I just read this recently? I looked but no luck. I have Google Chrome as my default browser. However, when I do a search using Cortana,... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Jeddie, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Jeddie Win User

How stop Cortana opening Edge

I thought I just read this recently? I looked but no luck.

I have Google Chrome as my default browser.

However, when I do a search using Cortana, and click one of the web results, it will open my Edge Browser?

How do I get Cortana to open web results using google chrome?

:)

Jeddie, Jan 16, 2017
  2. Wink_182 Win User

Cortana and Microsoft Edge

When I ask Cortana something, it always opens Microsoft Edge. eg. I'll ask "Hey Cortana, play music" or a certain song it looks it up in Bing instead. Everything I ask it, it takes me to Microsoft Edge. How do I stop it doing that? Can I stop it doing
    that? It's really annoying.

Wink_182, Jan 16, 2017
  3. search engine

my cortana opens internet explorer in the place of Edge how can I change Edge as my default browser in cortana?

Benny AJoseph, Jan 16, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Jan 16, 2017
  5. I don't want to use Edge, and has Chrome set as my default browser, but Cortana and the Start Menu always opens Edge now (Feb. 2017) even when just typing in links, making their argument about not being able to use other browsers than Edge not really worth a damn.

I developed this utility which detects web pages being opened in Edge, and then automatically closes it and opens the links in your default browser instead.

I cannot post exe files here, so you have to compile it yourself. Any developers wanting to build on this are welcome to use it for whatever you may want.

[C++] v1.0 - Pastebin.com

Compile with:
    cl.exe /EHsc /W3 /O2 /D "NDEBUG" /D "_WINDOWS" /D "_UNICODE" /D "UNICODE" /MD .cpp user32.lib advapi32.lib oleaut32.lib ole32.lib shell32.lib

(I use Visual Studio 2015 community edition)

EdgeCloser, Feb 6, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I believe you could post your exe file if you zipped it.

dalchina, Feb 6, 2017
  7. Ok. I'll try to post it here. Just want to inform you the app has no GUI currently, so if you want to stop it you need to kill the process in Task Manager or reboot your computer.

The program checks your default browser setting, and if you have in fact selected Edge as your default browser, then it doesn't do anything. I use Google Chrome, so in my case it closes any opened Edge windows it can find and opens the links in Chrome instead.

For myself, I wouldn't trust any random exe I found on a web forum, so if you are worried about viruses and things like that you always have the option to inspect the C++ source code posted above and compile the thing yourself.

EdgeCloser, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How stop Cortana opening Edge - Similar Threads - stop Cortana opening

2. How to stop Edge opening for links

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop Edge opening for links: My default browser is Chrome. Edge has now started opening when I click on links external to Chrome. I cannot change it through Default settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-stop-edge-opening-for-links/26420b2d-416b-4089-9dcc-de88419ee009
  3. How to stop Edge opening for links

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop Edge opening for links: My default browser is Chrome. Edge has now started opening when I click on links external to Chrome. I cannot change it through Default settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-stop-edge-opening-for-links/26420b2d-416b-4089-9dcc-de88419ee009
  4. How to open Cortana ???

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to open Cortana ???: How to get permission from administrator to open Cortana??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-open-cortana/956c1492-7694-4ac9-b95f-f8b892d899a4
  5. How to stop shortcut Win+C to open Cortana

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop shortcut Win+C to open Cortana: I don't like Cortana, I don't use Cortana, so I don't want Cortana. I found here in the forum how to disable it using the Local Group Policy Editor. But I use Clipboard history a lot and many times, as I type very fast, I hit Win+C instead of Win+V. And when I hit Win+C I...
  6. How to kill Cortana / Edge?

in Cortana
    How to kill Cortana / Edge?: This has been asked previously. However, no real answer has been provided - how do you stop Cortana eating ram and processing cycles? Failing that, how do I stonewall Cortana so she's not telling her creators everything about me? I realise I'm not the best at hiding my...
  7. How do I stop cortana opening to listen?

in Cortana
    How do I stop cortana opening to listen?: Cortana all of the sudden opens up to listen to a question. I never ask for it to open. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-stop-cortana-opening-to-listen/670e2183-f236-4b8a-97a1-948af3c1a311"
  8. Stop Microsoft Store, Edge with Cortana

in Cortana
    Stop Microsoft Store, Edge with Cortana: I have been burned by stuff in the Microsoft App Store and do not want to waste my time there ever again. I would sooner download some unvouched for beta package from Sourceforge or Github...or even get a "nothing found" result so that I don't go through the hassle of reading...
  9. Edge and Cortana

in Browsers and Email
    Edge and Cortana: I was under the impression that Cortana should be available in Edge by showing the Cortana "Circle" to the right of the address bar. I don't see it. I have Cortona enabled but no Cortona or Cortona suggestions. A bit more info I found. Can anyone confirm this with their...
  10. Edge Stopped Opening

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Stopped Opening: Edge was working just hunky dory until one day it wasn't. Cortana will works (fingers crossed). I only use it for Bing Rewards. I had been having a LOT of crashed pages before it stopped, which I just realized. I am on a legitimate Windows 10 Pro, Dell Laptop (older but just...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. stop cortana opening edge

2. cortana opens internet explorer when i ask for song

3. how to stop cortana opening edge

4. stop edge launching on cortana