Windows 10: how the Metering affects the update process

Discus and support how the Metering affects the update process in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I seem to be very lucky with this CU as all my machines have now accepted it with no problems at all. FYI, my procedure for my important, "production"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by VBF, Dec 16, 2017.

1. VBF
    VBF Win User

how the Metering affects the update process

I seem to be very lucky with this CU as all my machines have now accepted it with no problems at all.
    FYI, my procedure for my important, "production" machine which i always leave until last in case I do have problems, was as follows:

Reset LAN connection from METERED to UNMETERED
    Semi-Annual Channel
    Feature updates set to deferred for 0 days
    Quality updates set to deferred for 0 days

CU KB4054517 and also KB4058043 (reliability update for Microsoft Store) and routine updates downloaded and innstalled
    Restarted when requested
    Checked Winver - now on 1709 OS Build 16299.125
    "Check for Updates" - device up to date
    Reset LAN connection as METERED
    Semi-Annual Channel
    Feature updates set deferred for 365 days which how I leave it set for maximum control
    Quality updates set deferred for 30 days which how I leave it set for maximum control

:)

2. reginaYM Win User

DOWNLOAD OVER METERED CONNECTIONS

Joseph please read my question more carefully.

My question was not about WiFi. I know how to do that. My question was about WIRED CONNECTIONS. I do not want to use the Registry changes which I am not confident doing. So I want to know that if I do this
    Settings/Devices/Check Download Over Metered Connections, will that affect the wired connection making it metered.

reginaYM, Dec 16, 2017
  3. DOWNLOAD OVER METERED CONNECTIONS

Hi Regina,

The metered connection on your Windows 10 computer will limit the data usage to reduce its consumption. However, this option may affect some applications on your device and some updates won’t be installed automatically. To manage this option, we suggest
    that you follow the steps provided in this article regarding metered
    connections in Windows 10
    . Once you’re on the page, you may proceed with the steps, and then complete the process. After completing the steps, you may check if the issue persists.

Keep us updated about your concern for additional assistance.

Joseph Ban, Dec 16, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

You may be able to leave out the 'METERED' bits now. I have found that for the first time since 1607 broke it and 1703 change download behaviour for metered connections...

how the Metering affects the update process [​IMG]

...that checking for updates over metered connections works correctly. In the main it is Flash updates that are deemed as 'required to keep windows running smoothly'. For the rest, including cumulative updates, the 'Download' button appears (that's the bit that never worked properly since 1607).

Allow Automatic Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10

5. VBF
    VBF Win User
    @Bree
    I have seen that behaviour, but wasn't entirely sure whether it was just the size of the download that was preventing it when metered. If you look at the link you posted, I've clipped this:

Therefore the inference I've drawn is that if, in this example, the download was less than 10.00 MB, it would complete whether metered or not.
    Also I've seen it hang at various points, not just the 2% you quoted from the other thread. Then, when metering is disabled, the download continues. Also, I'm not sure what would happen if you rebooted after the hang and some of the updates have completed downloading leaving others at some indeterminate percentage. What do you think?

However I think that if you leave it set metered, then the download will not complete, full stop.

I'm trying to prevent updates, from even trying to download and install until I'm ready for them.

6. Bree New Member
    No, it doesn't seem to work like that, size doesn't seem to be a determining factor. As far as I can see, MS mark certain updates on the update servers as 'required for the smooth running of Windows'. These will be downloaded over a metered connection as soon as you check for updates.

So far, the only updates I have seen delivered this way are Flash security updates and one other, an urgent update for Store. KB4058043 Store reliability improvements for Windows 10 v1709

Not since I've had 1709. All updates, cumulative or otherwise, have completed the full download over a metered connection after clicking 'Download'. Once downloaded you are asked to click the 'Download' button again to begin the install.

What appears to be a 'hang' isn't actually one, in my experience.

Windows Updates Taking Forever to Download

7. VBF
    VBF Win User
    @Bree Aren't we contradicting ourselves here?

On the one hand, we're accepting that only updates "required for the smooth running of Windows" will ignore the fact that the connection is metered and download anyway. All others are blocked including CUs

But then you said "Not since I've had 1709. All updates, cumulative or otherwise, have completed the full download over a metered connection after clicking 'Download'. Once downloaded you are asked to click the 'Download' button again to begin the install."

To me, those 2 paragraphs are mutually exclusive *Think
    Or, are you saying that the metering allows the download but prevents the subsequent installation?

8. Bree New Member

This is how my 1709 system works. When I check for updates my metered connection stops all downloads from starting, except those MS has deemed "required for the smooth running of Windows". Those will download but not install yet (shown as 'awaiting install'). All of the others are shown as 'awaiting download'.

When you click the 'Download' button you are giving permission for all the rest to download over your metered connection.

After everything has downloaded they are all shown as 'awaiting install'. The 'Download ' button reappears and you have to click it again to start the install(s). Presumably this is because (as I have observed) a little more network activity takes place during the install and you need to give permission for that too.

9. VBF
    VBF Win User
    @Bree

OK...from memory, my systems do similar but I clearly haven't concentrated on the same aspects as you. and won't be able to do much until next Patch Tuesday unless another Out of Band CU appears.

It's that "little more network activity...." that is affected by the Metering status, I believe.

This particular debate started because in post #77 you responded to my comment in #73 by saying
    "You may be able to leave out the 'METERED' bits now...."

I took that to mean that you were saying that I might as well leave my connection UNmetered.

So please correct me if I'm wrong, but having the Network or WiFi connection set metered DOES still give you that extra element of control even if only by preventing that "​little more network activity...."

From your last comment I believe you think it does and so do I.

This thread may also be of interest....
    Allow Automatic Updates over Metered Connections in Windows 10

10. Bree New Member
    No, I'm saying that in 1709 for the first time you can leave it as metered and it works as (I presume) MS always intended it to. Nothing apart from a few small update MS have deemed 'necessary' will download until you say so by clicking the 'Download' button.

11. Bree New Member
    @VBF, Now that has been done and it's a new thread of your own, it would help others searching for info if you marked it as 'Solved'.

12. VBF
    VBF Win User
    Originally Posted by

I took that to mean that you were saying that I might as well leave my connection Unmetered.

No, I'm saying that in 1709 for the first time you can leave it as metered and it works as (I presume) MS always intended it to. Nothing apart from a few small update MS have deemed 'necessary' will download until you say so by clicking the 'Download' button.

@Bree
    Yes - I get that now but initially I took the opposite meaning from your words - apologies.

So, we agree that the best approach is to leave it "metered", and use the Download button to start the download. The only thing remaining is that I'm almost sure that I had to UNmeter to finalise the download and install. Or did I just not wait long enough??

This new thread marked as "solved" as per your request - thanks a lot*Thumbs

13. how the Metering affects the update process

This might be a dumb question but the wording that MS uses for :

"Download Settings"

"Limit how much bandwidth is used for downloading updates in the background"

5%-------------------------------100%

The wording is a bit confusing to me......so if I set the slider to 100% it is entirely blocking any bandwidth usage for those updates,
    or what? Sorry if I'm confused but it's a bit nebulous to me for some reason.

legacy7955, Dec 21, 2017
  14. VBF
    VBF Win User
    @legacy7955

No not a dumb question but exactly where and when do you see this?
    I ask because i have no machines in need of updates at present and none of my settings offer what you've described...so now I'm confused too. *Confused Oh, and according to your header, you're using Windows 7..are you, because this thread applies to Win 10?

15. Bree New Member
Thema:

1. how the Metering affects the update process - Similar Threads - Metering affects update

2. meter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    meter: that little bar on my taskbar turns green sometime what's it for CPU usage? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/meter/fd7bb9fd-86d0-466b-a53f-779302bf9d5b
  3. meter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    meter: that little bar on my taskbar turns green sometime what's it for CPU usage? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/meter/fd7bb9fd-86d0-466b-a53f-779302bf9d5b
  4. meter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Update and Metered Connection

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update and Metered Connection: For both February and March the Updates have gone on to my machine despite Metered Connection being set on my internet connection. This is Windows 10 Home. At the moment Updates are only once a month and there aren't the previous quality issues. I know I can Hide or Pause the...
  6. Is update 2004 is affecting the sign-in process of Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is update 2004 is affecting the sign-in process of Windows 10?: I am facing issue in signing in after installing update 2004. It says password not match. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-update-2004-is-affecting-the-sign-in-process-of/72bddf89-40a7-4b66-a2dd-5fa34822f050
  7. Meter

in Windows 10 Customization
    Meter: Can I turn off the metering and if so where is it and how can I shut it off https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/meter/aee12a1c-547a-4ce6-bc5e-9a60dbbbec87
  8. Updates on a metered connection.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Updates on a metered connection.: Hello there, I read an article today which said: Windows 10 users will receive "automatic updates without any additional notice." By default, Windows 10 will download, install, and reboot machines automatically when they’re not in use to install the updates. There’s...
  9. How to update Windows 10 over metered connection?

How to update Windows 10 over metered connection?: I'm running Windows 10 Pro. I've had it a week and notice that no updates have yet been downloaded - all the available updates are marked 'Waiting for download'. I use a mobile broadband dongle and I am limited to 10 GB data a month. My understanding is that Windows...
  10. metered updates

metered updates: While travelling it is very annoying to have updates running at inconvenient times. I have switched my laptop to metered updates, but this only works apparently for each specific wifi connection. Apparently there isn't a simple way of turning on metered updates for all...