Windows 10: How the Microsoft Digital License works for Multiple PCs Links?

Discus and support How the Microsoft Digital License works for Multiple PCs Links? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, I'm trying to figure out how the Microsoft Digital License works for the following scenario: I have 3 machines (1 PC + 2 Notebooks), namely 1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by twl5732, Dec 17, 2016.

1. twl5732 Win User

How the Microsoft Digital License works for Multiple PCs Links?

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how the Microsoft Digital License works for the following scenario:

I have 3 machines (1 PC + 2 Notebooks), namely 1 x Windows 10 Professional and 2 x Windows 10 Home and I’ve login as main administration account to use all these machines.

How does the Windows 10 Digital License keeping track with my Microsoft Account login to identify of my machines license entitlement? The configuration are:

1. 1 x Notebook was originally Windows 7 OEM upgraded to 8.1 then to Windows 10

2. 1 x PC Desktop was originally Windows 8.1 OEM upgraded to 10

3. 1 x recently purchased Notebook c/w Windows 10 pre-installed.

Now I would like to upgrade two of my machines (*Above 1 & 2) to SSD disks and I’m planning to use the Microsoft media tool clean installation of Windows 10 method which I will back up all the personal data and then reset these two machines to eliminate the possibility of files corruptions in the existing hard disks , as I hope to fix the Windows 10 slow performance and non-responsive issue?

I would appreciate anyone in this Community can help to provide for a good solution.
    Thank you and best regards.

:)

twl5732, Dec 17, 2016

2. Windows Digital License

I have Windows 10 Pro for my desktop and Windows 10 Home for my laptop.

They are both activated and given an digital license to my microsoft account. But for both of those digital license, i used one same microsoft acount to get digital license.

Does that mean that my laptop(Home) and desktop(Pro) both will have digital license? or only one of it will have the digital license.

So for example, if I get in to a situation where I have to reinstall windows on my Desktop, I would reinstall and sign in with microsoft account to activate my digital license. But because my laptop is already activated with that same microsoft account,
    would it block me from activating desktop again? Or can Digital License have multiple PC activated?(Like my Laptop and Desktop. They both do say activated with digital license but I'm still not sure of it)

Tom Chardy, Dec 17, 2016
  3. How many digital licenses can be linked to my single microsoft account?

Hello Emca,

I would be happy to assist you.

If you already used an Microsoft Account to sign in to your activated Windows 10 Home or Pro PC, your MSA will be automatically linked. You can use this MSA linked digital license to re-activate your Genuine Windows 10 device by running the Activation troubleshooter,
    if you run into Activation issues caused by hardware changes.

Using the same Microsoft Account on multiple devices does not imply that the same digital license will work across all the Windows devices with same Microsoft Account. Because,
    digital licenses are unique based on the hardware signatures of the PC you are using.

The advantage of using a single Microsoft Account on multiple devices (upto 5), is that all the Microsoft services and the user settings will be synced across devices.

Hope the above information holds good.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Dec 17, 2016
  4. Cliff S New Member

Sign in to your Microsoft account

How the Microsoft Digital License works for Multiple PCs Links? [​IMG]

Cliff S, Dec 17, 2016
  5. twl5732 Win User
    Hi Cliff S,

Many thanks for your quick reply.

I’ve login to my MSA & verified that all the 3 machines serial numbers and Windows 10 version are all registered.

Best Regards.*Smile

twl5732, Dec 17, 2016
  6. Cliff S New Member
    You're welcome, It was a good question, as others might see the thread and go there too.
    From there you can also remove any devices you don't have any more.

Cliff S, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How the Microsoft Digital License works for Multiple PCs Links? - Similar Threads - Microsoft Digital License

2. Can't transfer digital license linked to Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't transfer digital license linked to Microsoft account: I had a really old system that started on Windows 7 and got the free upgrade to Windows 10. Later on, I transferred my drive to my current system, and the license carried over perfectly. Windows just kept running and I didn't change anything. Nowadays, I've linked my current...
  3. Digital License linked to your Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Digital License linked to your Microsoft account: A friend of mine wanted me to format her laptop and reinstall windows. Her version of windows is not activated. So I am planning to use my micosoft account and it is linked to my windows license. But the problem is that I don't want my microsoft account to be on her computer...
  4. Digital license linked to Microsoft account

Digital license linked to Microsoft account: I was using windows 10 home with digital license linked to my Microsoft account it was a retail license. I upgraded my system to windows 10 pro using retail license key. Which was linked to the same Microsoft account as Digital License. I want to know if I can choose which...
  5. Digital license linked to account in multiple computers

Digital license linked to account in multiple computers: Alright so i bought a new laptop, it doesnt come with windows installed so i have to do it my own, not a big deal. My question is: i do have another desktop PC with Windows 10; this Desktop had Windows 7 installed using a serial key that i borrowed from my dad's pc whch had...
  6. Unable to link Microsoft Account with Digital License

Unable to link Microsoft Account with Digital License: Hi there. I am due to replace my motherboard on my laptop and I want to prepare accordingly. Advice on from Microsoft suggests that I link my Microsoft Account to my Digital License but I am unable to do so. I currently use a local account. I have been into "Settings ->...
  7. How many digital licenses can be linked to a microsoft account?

How many digital licenses can be linked to a microsoft account?: I have two PCs and I want to link both the retail licenses to a microsoft account. Can I do this? And how do I transfer the license to another computer?...
  8. Transfer Digital license linked to Microsoft Account

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transfer Digital license linked to Microsoft Account: I have an almost 8 Year old laptop that originally didn't come with an OS. So, I installed Windows 10 Pro on it and purchased a digital license seperately. The 3rd Gen i3 Processor still somewhat holds up and can do all the basic tasks (including playing videos in 4K without...
  9. How to work between PCs with digital certificates?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to work between PCs with digital certificates?: If someone needs to work with Excel contain digital certificates between PCs, I would like to know on how other people solve digital certificates issues, so they do not need to keep assigning local digital certificates whenever they open Excel files from another PC. Does...
  10. Reactivation of a digital license not linked to a Microsoft account

Reactivation of a digital license not linked to a Microsoft account: I've read conflicting information regarding this matter. Basically I'm thinking about taking the HDD of my laptop behind the barn and putting it down, slip an SSD on it's place and make a clean install. Thing is, I never linked a Microsoft Account to the installation, and I...