Windows 10: How To Access A Hard Drive On My PC From Another PC?

Discus and support How To Access A Hard Drive On My PC From Another PC? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey, So I have a hard drive on my laptop that I also want to be able to access on my desktop PC. How can I do this? I have already started off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gazebo92, Aug 13, 2017.

1. gazebo92 Win User

How To Access A Hard Drive On My PC From Another PC?

Hey,

So I have a hard drive on my laptop that I also want to be able to access on my desktop PC. How can I do this?

I have already started off by going onto my laptop and into: This PC > (right click) C Drive > Properties > Sharing > Advanced Sharing > Permissions > Everyone > Full Control

After that I have gone onto my desktop PC and opened the 'Run' prompt and typed '\\PCNAME' then a window pops up where I can click either 'Main Drive' or 'Users' however when I go and click on 'Main Drive' it tells me that I do not have permission "Windows cannot access \\PCNAME\Main Drive, you do not have permission to access \\PCNAME\Main Drive. Contact your network administrator to request access"

So have I done a step wrong or have I missed a step. Why don't I have permission if I just gave 'Full Control' to everyone?

Any kind of help would be appreciated.

Thanks - Gazebo *Smile

:)

gazebo92, Aug 13, 2017

2. Hard Drive From Another PC

Hello All,

I had a Toshiba laptop running Windows 7. About 2 years ago my pc will start up normally, but after a few minutes I will get a black screen and it will remain there. I bought a new laptop and put the old one aside. I have some files on the old laptop and
    would like to retrieve them. I removed the hard drive from the old pc and now trying to recover the data from it.

Can anyone please advise with this as I am faced with a number of issues and they are listed below:

1. When I plug in the hard drive, it does not show up in my File Explorer

2. I used the Command Prompt and look at DiskPart, but it is not listed there either

3. After a few minutes of the hard drive being plugged in, it makes a zinging noise and then a click. This continues until I unplug it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Regards,

Irshaad.

IrshaadNizrudin, Aug 13, 2017
  3. Hard Drive From Another PC

Hello Irshaad,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused. We are glad to help you.

Please share this:

· What is the make and model of the old hard drive?

· Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

I would suggest you to try the methods given below and check if it helps in resolving your issue:

Method 1: Try to plug into other ports and check if the hard drive is detected.

Method 2: Insert the old hard drive to other computer and check if it is detected.

Also check if all the drivers are installed and updated.

Hope this information helps. Keep us posted with the updated status. We will be happy to assist you.

Thanks and regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Aug 13, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

You also have to set the actual user permissions for access under the Security tab as well. Windows file sharing will let you into the computer from the network, but Windows will stop access at the local file system level if those permissions don't match as well.

NavyLCDR, Aug 13, 2017
  5. gazebo92 Win User
    Thanks for the quick reply! I have already got the security settings the same as the sharing tab. They both have 'Full Control' ticked.

gazebo92, Aug 13, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Try turning off "Password protected sharing" in the Network and Sharing control panel.

NavyLCDR, Aug 13, 2017
  7. gazebo92 Win User
    That setting was on at first when I first tried but I turned it off and still getting the same error message... Thanks *Smile

gazebo92, Aug 13, 2017
  8. Samuria Win User

Sharing drive c is crazy with everyone having full control and malware, ransomware,hacker can run a muck. The other problem is often by default c is shared as c$ which is a hidden share for admins only hence the rights issue

Samuria, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How To Access A Hard Drive On My PC From Another PC? - Similar Threads - Access Hard Drive

2. One of my hard drives is accessible from another PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    One of my hard drives is accessible from another PC: Hi guys, Basically one of my hard drives can be accessed by another PC on the network (I'm checking via RDP). I have no idea how or why, but I want it to stop lol. In CMD after typing net share there is not shared network drive, looking in fsmgmt.msc it is not shared....
  3. Access external hard drive from old PC using my new PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access external hard drive from old PC using my new PC: I have a new PC and have my old hard drive in a caddie. I can access all files except for those on my personal folder in Users. It must be protected somehow, but when I right-click and get into security settings and allow access, it still doesn't let me in. I downloaded a...
  4. Access OneDrive from another pc

Access OneDrive from another pc: Hi, I had an old pc which was retiring, so I put my documents in the OneDrive. I booted my new pc and opened OneDrive, to discover the copied documents were not there... There were however some old documents from a few years back, strangely. Are there different...
  5. Access my user files from another PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Access my user files from another PC: I am trying to access files from my previous PC. I've restored the backup of that PC's C: drive to a vhdx virtual disk. I can mount it and access all of its files except the files in my user folder - I don't have access rights from my new computer. What to I need to do to...
  6. Can not access Windows 10 drive from another PC

Can not access Windows 10 drive from another PC: I've had a good look for an answer to this, so apologies if it's already on here. All the posts I've so far read seem to give alternative routes to do what I've been doing. For years I shared my old XP drives with a Windows 7 laptop but could never work out to share them...
  7. How to Network 5 PC's and access external Hard Drives

How to Network 5 PC's and access external Hard Drives: When i had Home Group, i was able to access both of my external hard drives from all of my computers. i have an additional challenge now - we hve switched to 4G LTE WiFi - almost every time my main PC rebozos, it has a different IP address So, when i use the IP...
  8. Sharing permissions and access from another PC

Sharing permissions and access from another PC: Hi all, I'm sure I'm missing something really simple but so far I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure this out and have all but given up and was hoping someone here might be able to give me some advice? I currently have three PCs (Two Win10s and a Win7) on a...
  9. Can't access my hard drive from another machine?

Can't access my hard drive from another machine?: Hello, I have two machines on a workgroup network. One machine has win 7 and the other has Win 10. From win 10 machine I can access the C drive on the Win 7 machine since I shared the C drive on the win 7 machine. But I can't access the C drive on the win 10 machine...
  10. data removal from 10 hard drive on another pc

in Windows 10 Support
    data removal from 10 hard drive on another pc: How can you get say 7 or another 10 box to see the partitions on the hard drive with the crashed 10? I hook up the drive with external usb adapters and only thing I can see is the partition that isnt allocated. I have tried everthing on the drive system restore, boot up...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to access harddrive on windows pc

2. accessa hard drive content on my pc

3. puting old hard drive into new pc access windows 7