Windows 10: How to access a network printer without installing it in Windows 10

Discus and support How to access a network printer without installing it in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Greetings all. We have a number of networked barcode printers set up and shared on a Windows 2012 server. They all use the Generic/Text Only driver.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ajreynolds, Aug 24, 2016.

1. How to access a network printer without installing it in Windows 10

Greetings all.

We have a number of networked barcode printers set up and shared on a Windows 2012 server. They all use the Generic/Text Only driver. In Windows 7 we are able to print to these printers by specifying the UNC path in our application, such as L: \\servername\printersharename. We don't need to add the printer in Windows on each PC.

We're now starting to switch to Windows 10 and found that the only way to access the printers is to add each one to Windows on every Win 10 PC. Is there a way to avoid this in Windows 10 and access the printers without adding to each PC?

Thanks very much.

:)

ajreynolds, Aug 24, 2016
  2. StaceySly Win User

How to set printer as default

The question is how to get Windows 10 to change the default printer based on the currently connected network. For example, when at work and connected to NETWORK-A the default printer should be PRINTER-A but when at home and connected to NETWORK-B the default
    printer should be PRINTER-B.

This was a feature of Windows 7 and was accessed through the Manage Default Printer selection. How do we do this in Windows 10?

win 10 network printers manage printers- Original Title

StaceySly, Aug 24, 2016
  3. resource (peer-to-peer grouping) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts

Window 10 Enterprise - "resource (peer-to-peer grouping) is online but isn't responding to connection attempts." : Search on MS Support for this issue results only in drivel about this error in Windows 7.

This message is from Win 10 "Network Troubleshooting". Network Troubleshooting was initiated manually by me in an effort to set-up printing access to an previously existing printer on another PC in my Homegroup network. While this printer had been set
    up and previously accessible, without any changes, this network has been subject to numerous Windows 10 Updates that have disrupted this network's ability to function and use existing network printers.

MS Update - Have to fix something, MS Update - Have to fix something, etc, etc.. This operating system is a bane on my customer base and my MS Partner relationship.

The Advanced Printer Add-on presents only one inappropriate printer name while not finding, the actual installed and shared printer, no provision is offered to manually enter the actual name of thel printer.

One is then left with no resolution path to creating a link to this printer.

BTW: This access, loss, issue now also newly exists at a 3rd PC in my Homegroup/local network.

ClaytonNagle, Aug 24, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

How to access a network printer without installing it in Windows 10

It does not matter what OS you are using to print to a printer. You just have to be able to use the drivers for whatever printer you are using. As long as there are drivers for those barcode printers, you could even use just Linux to do the job. Any printer will print out Barcodes.

bro67, Aug 25, 2016
Thema:

How to access a network printer without installing it in Windows 10

1. How to access a network printer without installing it in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - access network printer

2. Network Printer Installation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Network Printer Installation: Error operation could not be completed 0x00000709 when installing a network printer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-printer-installation/bba266ae-0c80-48a8-9ca7-91d6bd6f9172
  3. Network Printer Installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Printer Installation: Error operation could not be completed 0x00000709 when installing a network printer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-printer-installation/bba266ae-0c80-48a8-9ca7-91d6bd6f9172
  4. Network Printer Installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Network printer installation

Network printer installation: I have a strange problem with a couple of laptops in a network of some 30 machines. We have recently had a couple of Lexmark networked colour laser printers installed and all machines have successfully had the new printers installed - with the exception of two laptops....
  6. Windows 10 can’t access printer on network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 can’t access printer on network: Hello, Could someone please offer advice on this issue? There are four PCs all running Win 10. Each PC is connected to the same private wifi network. One PC has a printer directly connected to it via an ethernet cable. Two of the other PCs can find this printer either...
  7. cannot access network printer

cannot access network printer: wireless printer is installed but is not recognized by computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-access-network-printer/f20d6499-3dd9-45d9-9e7a-032e339f1288
  8. how to install hp network printer driver windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to install hp network printer driver windows 10: I want to install my hp photosmart 6520 e-All-in-One Printer as a network printer anyone know how? The wireless setup app will not find network printer but I am connected to the printer using it as network printer Any suggestions how to install it as network printer?...
  9. Access to network printers etc...

in Browsers and Email
    Access to network printers etc...: When trying to add some of my network printers the process never found any. I was doing this vial the control panel's to add new printers. I have three printers on my network and they cannot be found. How to I get around this problem? I am, however, able to access net work...
  10. Access printer on mixed network XP and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access printer on mixed network XP and Windows 10: Hi I have a mixed network. Some PCs running windows 10 upgraded from 7, and some running XP Pro. Before I upgraded the Windows 7 machines to Windows 10 I could access the printer from the XP Pro and the Windows 7 PCs. My printer is an Epson Stylus Photo R2400. It is...