Windows 10: How to access/fix a non booting Windows 10 on a laptop with UEFI bios?

Discus and support How to access/fix a non booting Windows 10 on a laptop with UEFI bios? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; So basically back in the days a simple as F8 boots you to safe mode or F12 could bring up boot menu where you could boot from a flash drive or an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by nIGHTmAYOR, Sep 24, 2017.

1. How to access/fix a non booting Windows 10 on a laptop with UEFI bios?

So basically back in the days a simple as F8 boots you to safe mode or F12 could bring up boot menu where you could boot from a flash drive or an optical disc , use a tool like hirens boot cd to undo the mess or just do a windows upgrade and you are good .

Now what's the new trend as UEFI bioses just lock you out from both bios and boot menus unless you legitimately pick those from inside OS menus , a friend had his windows 10 falling into some boot loop and all i could think of was to unscrew the hard drive and work on it externally , is that the trend really or am i missing something ?

:)

nIGHTmAYOR, Sep 24, 2017
  2. SX11 Win User

Can't get a UEFI PC to boot a Windows 10 Enterprise trial bootable USB

Hy guys, on a UEFI PC Asus g752, a Windows 10 bootable usb is not recognized during boot time. The PC has Secure Boot Disabled and CS mode enabled in the BIOS/UEFI.

The bootable USB was created using Rufus and I tried all options including MBR/UEFI and GPT/UEFI ,

both using FAT32. I use the 90 Day Trial Windows 10 Enterprise available from microsoft.com.

The option named "MBR for BIOS or UEFI-CSM" does not work neither with its difference being that it forces the USB into NTFS mode vs the other two options, which allow it stay in FAT32 ...

The UEFI Asus pc will not boot from that USB, using the "Flash" selection during boot and ends up in black screen with cursor blinking.. Also this same USB

will not boot on a non-UEFI Dell laptop neither resulting in the same black screen with blinking cursor ...

Now, creating a bootable USB with the official Microsoft tool : MediaCreationToolx64 still cannot boot the UEFI Asus PC with the same blinking cursor result ... however it will boot the other non-UEFI Dell Laptop.

How can I create a bootable USB for that UEFI Asus PC ?

3. windows 10 splash screen (spinning dots) shows twice

windows 10 splash screen (spinning dots) boot twice. on my laptop (UEFI with logo brand), and on my PC (non UEFI with logo window) both booting twice when startup. is this a bug or what ?. can change this in to once ? coz this is so annoying..

garisilalahi, Sep 24, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

How to access/fix a non booting Windows 10 on a laptop with UEFI bios?

It can be tricky getting to Bios if UEFI, particularly if fast boot is enabled.

There are several tricks to force getting to bios

1) See if bios has jumper settings you can change to make it boot to bios

2) Remove CMOS battery which often forces a jump to bios to reset date/time

3) Remove hard drive, and boot with a windows 10 installation flash drive or dvd inserted. As it will not detect hdd, it will boot from usb drive or dvd next, and using repair options, you can get to the bios via the repair menus. This is probably easiest to try first.

Once you get to bios, you can set boot order to boot from usb drive or dvd first. Then replace hdd and boot from flash drive or dvd. I always set the boot order to boot from flash drive first on any new pc, so I do not get caught.

cereberus, Sep 24, 2017
  5. Me and my friend use laptops , doesn't show any signs of jumpers or batteries anywhere on the open-able area at the back . So i think its all down to option 3

So a laptop need to be set in advance to load from optical drive / usb flash , now there is this one other catch , i recall i did attempt once to use a hiren boot cd and it didn't even detect the hard drive on the laptop and searching the forums they said its a normal behavior with UEFI bioses as they aim to protect system data , are there settings or means to bypass these restrictions ? there was a project i remember of an attempt to create something similar to hirens XP but Windows 10 based and was said might be able to access UEFI protected hard drives but I cant find it anymore , so any thoughts about that ?

nIGHTmAYOR, Sep 24, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

How to access/fix a non booting Windows 10 on a laptop with UEFI bios?

1. How to access/fix a non booting Windows 10 on a laptop with UEFI bios? - Similar Threads - access fix non

2. UEFI boot entry in BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI boot entry in BIOS: Dell Inspiron 15 3515 Windows 10.In my Inspiron I have two internal SSDs, one came as standard and is 125 GB and I added my own 500 GB SSD. I cloned the smaller SSD to the larger one and by using BCDBOOT was able to chose which to boot from at startup. Both boot up just fine....
  3. UEFI boot entry in BIOS

in Windows 10 Customization
    UEFI boot entry in BIOS: Dell Inspiron 15 3515 Windows 10.In my Inspiron I have two internal SSDs, one came as standard and is 125 GB and I added my own 500 GB SSD. I cloned the smaller SSD to the larger one and by using BCDBOOT was able to chose which to boot from at startup. Both boot up just fine....
  4. How to enable secure boot in bios to uefi converted laptop.

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to enable secure boot in bios to uefi converted laptop.: Hello, my laptop was having Windows 7 in Legacy bios and i installed windows 10 in Legacy bios then i cleared disk 0 and installed windows 10 in uefi bios but secure boot opyion is not available as before in legacy bios.i have lenovo thinkpad edge e420....
  5. UEFI boot VM's on non UEFI systems

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    UEFI boot VM's on non UEFI systems: Hi folks if you want to test such things as UEFI boot or even Secure boot on a VM running on older hardware that doesn't have UEFI boot it's still easily possible. On for example Linux host running KVM/QEMU a Windows VM ( This also works on Windows hosts running VMWare for...
  6. Bios order of boot and UEFI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bios order of boot and UEFI: Hi there, what is the optimum order of "boot" you need to set the bios at for a quicker start-up? And where do you place the UEFI component in relation to the actual firmware in the order of boot? Thank you, Robert....
  7. How to boot Windows into UEFI or BIOS firmware

in Windows 10 News
    How to boot Windows into UEFI or BIOS firmware: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Many a time you need to reboot into the computer firmware, i.e., UEFI or BIOS. If your hardware keys are failing to boot you into BIOS or UEFI, you will need to do this. In this post, I will share [...] This post How to boot Windows into UEFI or BIOS...
  8. How to clone Win10 (UEFI) installation to non-UEFI laptop?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to clone Win10 (UEFI) installation to non-UEFI laptop?: Hello. I have my work laptop (main) with Windows 10 installation (UEFI, GPT) where all apps already installed and configured. Recently I was given an old notebook (secondary) with Windows 8.1 installation (legacy BIOS, non-UEFI, MBR). Is there more or less simple way to...
  9. Cannot access to BIOS/UEFI/boot options on Lenovo h50 with windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot access to BIOS/UEFI/boot options on Lenovo h50 with windows 10: I got this computer used and want to install Windows 7 to it. So I followed whatever instruction I found on the web, got into advanced restart setting on W10, somehow found UEFI firmware settings. Restarted, got into UEFI, changed boot order to USB everything and THEN HDD....
  10. Help with Legacy BIOS Boot setup and Windows 10 reinstall non-UEFI

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Help with Legacy BIOS Boot setup and Windows 10 reinstall non-UEFI: I've been having constant problems with my new Sound BlasterX AE-5 soundcard not being consistently recognized at boot. It seems it is extremely similar to the issue that the older Sound Blaster Z cards had several years ago where they were not recognized on many, but not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. convert csm to uefi windows 10 not booting mbr2gpt

2. fic non-booting windows 10 uefi