Windows 10: How to access user files from previous computer's backup

Discus and support How to access user files from previous computer's backup in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello All, Now that I'm on Windows 10 I found I have the need to access user files from an old backup when this machine was Windows 7. The Macrium... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jdUnionngarden, Jan 17, 2017.

1. How to access user files from previous computer's backup

Hello All,
    Now that I'm on Windows 10 I found I have the need to access user files from an old backup when this machine was Windows 7. The Macrium backup gives me everything I need with the exception of the ability to view/access my prior user files.
    Can someone point me to the necessary steps to do this.
    Advance appreciation sent to all who read and/or reply. *Smile
    -
    Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong location and thanks to whoever moves it for me!

Best,

:)

jdUnionngarden, Jan 17, 2017

2. Automatic Update DELETED MANY FILES AND PROGRAMS

I'll assume that is not a copied and pasted message and just let you know that:

1. No, the article does not help and is outdated.

A. Those system settings do not exist anymore.

B. There are no previous version listed.

2. As I already said, I have backups, but not in the past two months, which is what matters.

3. Why is there two users on my computer, one with "Username" and one with "Username.ComputerName". The one with Username has some files, but they are not accessed correctly as everything has errors or does not work, or I simply can't access them at all,
    along with how files are still missing.

NEXT:Dread, Jan 17, 2017
  3. Sam___ Win User
    Cannot take ownership of ALL original files/folders after clean install of W10.

Hi Ian,

Was the ACL modified to restrict access to a particular user on the previous version of Windows. I suspect they belong to another user and therefore you are not able to access the data. If the data is important it will need to be restored from backup. These
    folders will probably not be able to be deleted, but that depends on the previous ACL restriction.

-Sam

Sam___, Jan 17, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

How to access user files from previous computer's backup

Old backup if NTFS will be owned by the old account even if the name is the same the sid won't be the same restore the files then take ownership of them

Samuria, Jan 17, 2017
  5. Thanks Samuria,
    That's the part I'm unsure of: Taking Ownership of. I'm sure it's not difficult, but I don't know the steps. *Confused
    Best,

6. SIW2 Win User
    When you have browsed and selected image/folder, there should be "enable access to restricted folders" checkbox.

7. Samuria,
    Sounds easy, but here's what I got:

How to access user files from previous computer's backup [​IMG]

and I'm not sure how to proceed from here.

8. topgundcp Win User

You did not follow @SIW2 advice, put check marks as shown:

topgundcp, Jan 17, 2017
  9. Thanks topgundcp,
    I've been mounting the Macrium Image file; your capture isn't familiar to me. But am wondering if I should be opening Macrium to execute backup viewing? And perhaps that's where I can do this.
    Best,

10. topgundcp Win User
    Just double click on the backup image (.mrimg extension) , you'd get the screen above.

topgundcp, Jan 17, 2017
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can also check the make writeable box. That will allow you to change permissions at the NTFS level and then copy the files out with the new permissions you set.

NavyLCDR, Jan 17, 2017
  12. Great.
    Thanks very much!

13. How to access user files from previous computer's backup

This actually falls under the old saying: "Scroll down dummy!" Which I have used once or twice.*Wink
    LOL, because just as often I'm at fault; I've never looked at those 2 checkboxes before ... My Bad! *Redface
    Thanks again folks!
    Best,

jdUnionngarden, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to access user files from previous computer's backup - Similar Threads - access user files

2. How to access desktop files from a previous hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to access desktop files from a previous hard drive: I recently switched hard drives due to some unrelated issues with a cpu/motherboard. I had to do a fresh install of windows, and I am now running it through a different drive My C drive is now a different drive. My old drive F drive currently is still installed, and has all...
  3. How to access desktop files from a previous hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to access desktop files from a previous hard drive: I recently switched hard drives due to some unrelated issues with a cpu/motherboard. I had to do a fresh install of windows, and I am now running it through a different drive My C drive is now a different drive. My old drive F drive currently is still installed, and has all...
  4. How to access desktop files from a previous hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to prevent restoring previous versions of files from backups in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to prevent restoring previous versions of files from backups in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If you want to prevent Other users from restoring previous versions of files from […] This article How to prevent restoring previous versions of files from backups in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. how do i clear a computer from the previous user

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    how do i clear a computer from the previous user: just got this computer and I want and need to clear it out or clean it out so its back to new so I can sign in with my account https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-clear-a-computer-from-the-previous-user/443019cb-7f92-4e4d-b5ef-a90f60e48890
  7. Recovering a backup from a previous computer to a new laptop

Recovering a backup from a previous computer to a new laptop: I would like to recover a previous Windows 10 backup to a new computer after setting up exactly the same account? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovering-a-backup-from-a-previous-computer-to-a/2b003b26-2f80-4e12-9e7e-4310e62c7f31
  8. Can't access "user" files on hard drive from previous computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access "user" files on hard drive from previous computer: I had a laptop with windows 10, motherboard issues. Got a new laptop with windows 10. I used USB to SATA cable to attach to old hard drive. I can see folders in old hard drive and could move some data. Can't access "users" data. I have tried giving permissions, sharing...
  9. how to recover files from previous windows version backups

how to recover files from previous windows version backups: Need to recover some files from old backups made on windows 7 or older and I am using windows 10 now. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-recover-files-from-previous-windows-version/2440db88-0967-4cfd-9da0-2172a32fb0bf
  10. Recover User files from a previous computer hard drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Recover User files from a previous computer hard drive: I did a search for answers to my problem and didn’t find what I needed. I apologize in advance, but I am desperate to recover my data. Sorry for the long post but here is the history leading to my problem. Recently MS did an update to my Windows 10 (believe 1703?). After that...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. How to access user files from previous computers backup