Windows 10: How to activate userid administrator

Discus and support How to activate userid administrator in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; On a friends Windows 10 system, the command "net users" shows administrator and frank. "net user administrator" shows Active: no Frank has... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Swifty, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Swifty Win User

How to activate userid administrator

On a friends Windows 10 system, the command "net users" shows administrator and frank.
    "net user administrator" shows Active: no
    Frank has administrator privilege. The command "net user administrator /active:yes" yields:
    System error 5 has occurred
    Access is denied

So, how does frank activate userid administrator?

:)

Swifty, Feb 12, 2017
  2. neilpzz Win User
    neilpzz, Feb 12, 2017
  3. how to activate administrator account

how to activate administrator account windows 10

GuillermoToledo1, Feb 12, 2017
  4. Word Man Win User

Word Man, Feb 12, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    In Windows 10 it's Command Prompt (Admin). You can access it easily by right clicking on the start icon, or Win+X keys.

NavyLCDR, Feb 12, 2017
  6. Swifty Win User
    Thank you for the answers. I've never understood the relationship between having administration privilege and Run As Administrator, but now it's becoming clear.

Presumably, "Run as administrator" means literally what it says; you run with the privilege which the "Administrator" userid has, and that is more than Frank having the account type of administrator.

It was so satisfying to issue the command "net user administrator /active:yes" under my own userid on my own system, and have it fail, then to open a cmd prompt as Administrator, and see it work.

This still leaves me wondering how this all fits in with being a member of the group "Administrators", but I'll leave that for another day. I have a more interesting question to look forward to... tomorrow.

Swifty, Feb 13, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Any account that is a member of the administrators group can run tasks with the highest privileges, but they have to choose to do so - they are subject to User Account Control (UAC) and by default run most things with standard user rights.

The Administrator account is different. It is not subject to UAC and will not get asked if it wants to use its admin privileges, it just does so without any checks. This is a very dangerous account to use for day-to-day browsing as malware would be able to run with the same rights as Administrator - ie. completely bypassing the UAC.

Enabling Administrator is useful for repairing a system, but for safety it should be set back to its default of 'disabled' when no longer needed. For safety you should use an administrator account for most things, not the Administrator.

8. Swifty Win User

Thank you for the excellent description.
    I'll be sure to disable the Administrator account as soon as we get to the bottom of Frank's problem... that he cannot save attachments into his Documents folder.
    I've started a new post "Cannot save attachments" in General Suport.

Swifty, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to activate userid administrator - Similar Threads - activate userid administrator

2. activate administrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    activate administrator: Hello,i try to activate administrator on my local account but i cant put it when i write the command: net user "Administrator" /active:yes i receive a command: Access is denied.and my Account active is No also my pc have one account how can fix it? i use windows 11 22H2 OS...
  3. activate administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    activate administrator: Hello,i try to activate administrator on my local account but i cant put it when i write the command: net user "Administrator" /active:yes i receive a command: Access is denied.and my Account active is No also my pc have one account how can fix it? i use windows 11 22H2 OS...
  4. Site UserID Is Auto Created from Email Account UserID

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Site UserID Is Auto Created from Email Account UserID: I have very recently learned about a company that automatically uses your email account UserID for creating an identical UserID when you register to use that company's services.To my mind that is a security nightmare.May I ask for your opinion about this?Thank you....
  5. The SID and Reusing a previously used UserID

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The SID and Reusing a previously used UserID: If a user leaves the company, and his/her userID was a member of various AD groups, they userID is disabled. If the userID is again used, will that new user with the userID have access to the AD groups that the previous user had, or will the new SID be checked and thus the...
  6. UserID

in Windows 10 Customization
    UserID: how do i change my userID https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/userid/22ef5c71-abdd-4b4d-903a-2969b5c8b4db
  7. active administrator

active administrator: how active administrator???????? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/active-administrator/24f830d5-d809-4490-82d1-c86112c131b7
  8. Administrator active

in Windows 10 Customization
    Administrator active: When I will go to turn on administrator then it was shows the: system error 5 has occurred . And Access is denied. This problem if you solved then help me please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/administrator-active/046409fd-dc4f-4e9b-870f-59020c18a161
  9. How to activate the built-in administrator on Windows 10

How to activate the built-in administrator on Windows 10: Hi, I can not sign-in my computer and I want to activate the built-in administrator without signing in. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-activate-the-built-in-administrator-on/714ce881-9e9d-47ec-97ea-667468fc369c"
  10. forgot my userid

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    forgot my userid: I cannot remember my userid in win 10. It was always preloaded in win 7 so didnt think about it. Any ideas? Please, it is awful. 39977

Users found this page by searching for:

1. howhow activate Administrator in windows 7 with cmd