Windows 10: How to /actually/ defer updates?

Discus and support How to /actually/ defer updates? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I've been having a returning problem for months on end and by this stage I am livid with Windows not respecting my wishes to NOT INSTALL the latest... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by harald, Jul 8, 2016.

1. harald Win User

How to /actually/ defer updates?

I've been having a returning problem for months on end and by this stage I am livid with Windows not respecting my wishes to NOT INSTALL the latest driver for my Synaptics touchpad/trackpoint device, because this driver totally ****s the user experience my Lenovo X230 laptop.

(Latest Synaptics driver is useless for X230 trackpointer in Win10 because sensitivity is simply to low. I have found my solution for this: using Synaptics driver for Win 8.1 (16.2.19.14). My issue is with this sadistic autoupdate feature.)

I have tried deferring the driver. I have tried many times to uninstall + delete drivers in device manager. But, no questions asked, it automagically installs 19.0 during startup. I have tried rolling back to 16.2. After a reboot it is back to 19.0 again because **** YOU. Just now I made group policy that instructs Windows to ASK before downloading and installing updates. Does it care? No. It does what it pleases. *Mad WHY do you make it so hard to stop a known bad update from happening again and again and again. This feels like a sick joke to me. *Confused

:)

harald, Jul 8, 2016

2. How do I disallow MS pushing new feature code onto my machine?

Actually Enterprise Long term service branch can defer/not do upgrades for 6 months or more. Current Business Branch (Enterprise) and Educational cannot defer for 6 months but rather 48 hours.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jul 8, 2016
  3. how to stop GPS auto update on C6

actuality is there any deference between GPS and GPRS, because I thing its downloading GPRS data

is it something to do with GPRS

geronimos---01, Jul 8, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jul 8, 2016
  5. harald Win User
    Hi Brink,

Thank you for a swift reply.

I have already disabled Automatic Updates using Group Policy, and set it to 2 - Notify for download and notify for install. Nevertheless, Windows automatically downloaded - and installed - Synaptic 19.0 yet again when I followed this step: 9. Click/tap on the Check for updates button in Windows Update to apply.

I then followed your second link for enabling "Do not include drivers with Windows Updates" but there is no such option in my Local Group Policy Editor! *Think

harald, Jul 8, 2016
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    The GPO is only available starting with build 14328. You might see if using OPTION TWO may be able to still apply it for you.

If it won't work in a lower build, then you could try hiding the driver update for now until you have the GPO above in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update on August 2nd.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Jul 8, 2016
  7. harald Win User
    Thanks again.

I have run the Enable_Drivers_in_Windows_Update.reg and verified the ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate entry in regedit. It may appear that "Synaptics - Pointing Drawing - Synaptics Pointing Device" is not registered as a driver per se... as this package is still being downloaded in background. (2nd time it has happened now.) I have not been able to deselect this update so I have to roll back the driver (and set my mouse settings again) every time I have run Windows update.

*Confused

harald, Jul 17, 2016
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Jul 17, 2016
  9. harald Win User
    YES! YES! It seems to work! *Party At this time the Synaptic driver is now not only NOT being downloaded behind my back and installed against my will, I can now even do Windows updates without having a driver battle. Thank you so much!

harald, Jul 31, 2016
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You're most welcome. *Smile

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to /actually/ defer updates? - Similar Threads - actually defer updates

2. Defer feature update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Defer feature update: Hi. My PC has an issue with 21H2 build of Windows, when it's installed my whole PC stutters, even when it's not under a heavy load. I can be watching a youtube video or browsing a webpage and it's as if my PC is skipping whole frames.I've installed the latest updates for all...
  3. How do I defer updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I defer updates: How do I defer updates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-defer-updates/4daf4fed-9284-4b0f-b8bf-c649633606db
  4. About deferring updates

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    About deferring updates: Hey, I recently activated activated the "defer updates" feature but, I was wondering if I enable option 2 in automatic updates through group policy wich will only notify me. Will I download the latest updates regardless of the time range I set to defer the updates if I update...
  5. WUFB Deferred Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WUFB Deferred Updates: Hi I hope someone can help me, I have rolled out WUFB and as most companies we deferred the Updates in different Deployments Rings. Just so I know what will be installed on client devices is there a method to show all the Updates that will be installed on the local...
  6. Deferring Updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Deferring Updates: Hi guys, I apologise if this has been previously discussed but I couldn’t find clarity on the answer we require. We have recently upgraded to the latest creators fall feature update and unfortunately for us it pushed its self through with a restart when one of PCs was on...
  7. Will I Actually Be Able to Defer Upgrades...?

Will I Actually Be Able to Defer Upgrades...?: So, I have Windows 10 Pro now after I couldn't stand the constant updates that ended up often making my computer worse, but even with "Defer Upgrades," I'm still forced to pick a time to download within the next few days. I was under the impression I could at least wait a few...
  8. How to Defer Windows 10 Updates

How to Defer Windows 10 Updates: Hi Everyone, I know that you can´t defer updates in Home edition but you can on the others. I found this article and I was wondering if I can stop when I enable defer upgrades or do I have to do absolutely everything in the article. Thanks in advance. *Smile How to take...
  9. Reverse Defer Updates

Reverse Defer Updates: I have seen a lot of threads regarding the "Defer Updates" feature in Windows 10 Pro. After activating this feature by checking the Defer Update box, is there a way to to reverse "Defer Updates" and start receiving all updates again? 40652
  10. Defer updates

Defer updates: Something I just experienced and wondering about how or why it can be this way. I have had 10 on my machine for a month or more now. Just finished upgrading my wife's a couple of hours ago. Identical computers as far as make,model etc. Did a check for updates on mine just...