Windows 10: How to add D drive to C when it is an SD card

Discus and support How to add D drive to C when it is an SD card in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Have a nextbook with only 35gb of internal storage and 28gb is used by the Win 10 os & apps. System allows use of an SD card (60gb) which I have added... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by gabbydgar, Mar 17, 2017.

1. gabbydgar Win User

How to add D drive to C when it is an SD card

Have a nextbook with only 35gb of internal storage and 28gb is used by the Win 10 os & apps. System allows use of an SD card (60gb) which I have added and it is shown as disk 1 in disk management - 16mb unallocated, 58.23gb eFAT healthy(primary partition). Can this be added to C drive without messing up C & os? Windows 10 update want to delete things so it can update, but so far I have not allowed that to take place.

:)

gabbydgar, Mar 17, 2017
  2. mio725 Win User

how do i get more space on c drive using my sd card?

how do I get more space on C drive, using sd card? right now sd card is used as D drive for videos & photos, etc.

mio725, Mar 17, 2017
  3. dtcooper Win User
    Backing up a files that aren't on my C: drive

I have an SD card slot my computer and I use an SD card as a second hard drive (set up as a D: drive). I'm trying to setup Windows File History to backup my system to a network drive (separate from the SD card), and it has no problem with backing up the
    files on the C: drive but when I try to add folders from the D: drive to the backup it gives my the following error:

"Sorry, that didn't work. To find out more, look up error code 0x80070032."

From what I can tell, that error is "this request not supported." So does that mean I can't setup File History to backup files that aren't on the C: drive? Is there any way around this?

dtcooper, Mar 17, 2017
  4. How to add D drive to C when it is an SD card

So from the sound of it, you want to join the OS drive and this SD card together to increase the space available. As far as I know this isnt possible, while keeping the data intact or otherwise. Maybe someone else here will know for sure though.

ArazelEternal, Mar 18, 2017
  5. Samuria Win User
  6. Berton Win User
    I have tablets with small capacity drives so I add an equal size MicroSDXC card to the slot on them, letter it as D:, then put as much downloads on the added card as possible. Sometimes I also have to point Windows updates to that drive to get the downloads. It helps mightily. As soon as I find a good buy on 128GB or larger I'll see if the tablets can use them.

Berton, Mar 18, 2017
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    To use with Windows 10, it should be formatted as NTFS.

NavyLCDR, Mar 18, 2017
  8. gabbydgar Win User

Found this on the community site. You can merge the existing C & D drive partition without any third party tools. Here are the steps: Assume D is just a data partition and doesn't contain the page file, boot files or a second operating system. If so, merge the partition by removing D and extending C, as follows:
    1. Back up to and external devise any important data on D, optional, move the same important data from D to C.
    2. Right click computer >Manage >Storage>Disk Management, then right click the graphic of the D partition an select Delete. The partition returns to Unallocated for a Primary Partition or free space if it's a Logical Diver within an Extended Partition. Delete the partition if it is a extended partition.
    3. Now right click the graphic of the C partition and select Extend.

My D drive as stated before is an SD card, no page file, boot files or a second os. 16mb unallocated 58.23gb ex fat healthy (primary partition). Trying to enlarge C: on a Nextbook tablet.

Does anyone see a problem with this method?

gabbydgar, Mar 22, 2017
  9. lx07 Win User
    It will not work.

That procedure only works if your C and D are on the same physical drive. Yours aren't.

As mentioned previously your best bet is to format the SD card NTFS (not exFAT) and use it to save as much stuff as you can (documents, applications and so on) so your C drive doesn't get overfilled.

10. Samuria Win User
    You can compress folders and files on c it will give you a bit extra

Samuria, Mar 22, 2017
  11. Berton Win User
    My Dell Venue 8 Tablet with 32-bit Win10 came with a 32GB SSD formatted as NTFS. I added a 64GB MicroSDXC card for additional storage and left it formatted as exFAT, works fine.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to add D drive to C when it is an SD card - Similar Threads - add drive card

2. How to add an SD card into a windows 11 device?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to add an SD card into a windows 11 device?: Hello, I was wondering how to put in an SD card into a windows 11 device? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-add-an-sd-card-into-a-windows-11-device/a541d46f-c682-4d03-b6b9-d7bfd43ddc62
  3. my d drive / sd card reader dissapered is there a fix for this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my d drive / sd card reader dissapered is there a fix for this?: My D/drive sd card reader disappeared is this a hardware or can i reinstall this drive I've searched my computer and cant find it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-d-drive-sd-card-reader-dissapered-is-there-a/e7239998-4ef6-4123-b464-8d05765df567
  4. my d drive / sd card reader dissapered is there a fix for this?

my d drive / sd card reader dissapered is there a fix for this?: My D/drive sd card reader disappeared is this a hardware or can i reinstall this drive I've searched my computer and cant find it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-d-drive-sd-card-reader-dissapered-is-there-a/e7239998-4ef6-4123-b464-8d05765df567
  5. my d drive / sd card reader dissapered is there a fix for this?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Transferring apps / programs from C drive to D drive SD Card

Transferring apps / programs from C drive to D drive SD Card: [ATTACH] For some years I have followed the practice of transferring, if possible. apps / programs from the C Drive to the D Drive, an integral SD Card --- in order to reduce space usage on the C drive. I have done this via Settings, Apps. For various reasons some cannot be...
  7. Merge SD card to C: drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Merge SD card to C: drive: Hey community i would like to know how to merge my SD card to my main C: drive, [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/merge-sd-card-to-c-drive/58411a25-3fbf-4e76-900b-20cfd7e1cd4d
  8. Use SD card D drive for Upgrades. SD card not recognized for upgrades?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Use SD card D drive for Upgrades. SD card not recognized for upgrades?: I'm setting up a budget computer lab and I'm in possession of a bunch of windows 10 Mini pcs Z8350, with 2GB Ram and 32GB eMMC ss drives. These little pcs work great to a point, after some quick optimization, and migration of larger files and applications to a SD card D:...
  9. C Drive Full and SD Card Corrupting Files

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    C Drive Full and SD Card Corrupting Files: Hey, hope this is in the right place. So my C drive is literally full. No space whatsoever. I've attempted multiple times to clean it out, deleting folders, using software to clean out junk files, everything. I cannot delete anything in the C drive because it's system...
  10. Lenovo Idealpad 100s D drive is not functioning with sd card

in Windows 10 Support
    Lenovo Idealpad 100s D drive is not functioning with sd card: Hello, My Lenovo Ideapad 100S D drive isn't working with 128gb Micro Sd Card 128GB microSDXC Card Class 10 with Micro SD Adapter inserted in. It's been giving me trouble since Windows 10 last January 26, 2017—KB 3216755 (OS Build 14393.726) update. It says D:/ The directory...