Windows 10: How to add details to mkv files for explorer?

Discus and support How to add details to mkv files for explorer? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, is there any way to add details to mkv files and with details I mean for example year? So I can sort my mkv files in folder by year? [img] 86947 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ditendra, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Ditendra Win User

How to add details to mkv files for explorer?

Hi,
    is there any way to add details to mkv files and with details I mean for example year? So I can sort my mkv files in folder by year?

How to add details to mkv files for explorer? [​IMG]

:)

Ditendra, Jun 15, 2017

2. Windows 10 : How can I get info such as title and subtitle into mkv files?

Original title: File details

Using standard facilities I can modify the details of an mp4 file merely by selecting properties and then typing the information into the various fields offered. I can type in the information in mkv files, but it is not saved. ts files will not accept any
    input.

How can I get info such as title and subtitle into mkv files?

Dave Gayler, Jun 15, 2017
  3. How to add details to image files, such as tags or descriptions

Hi Arraveci,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

• What happens when you change the tag option of PNG files?
    • How are you trying to edit PNG files?
    You can also send us the screen shot of the issue.

How to include a screenshot in your post:

How to include a screenshot in your post

Please get back to us with the required information to assist you further.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Jun 15, 2017
  4. mrgeek Win User

Nice collection of films. Fill in the 'Year' field for each video. Then in 'Details' view, r-click page top and select 'Year'. Then r-click and 'Customize this folder' for Video and in File Explorer ribbon, click View options and set all folders of this type to match. You can createseparate folders for each year or sort by year column.

mrgeek, Jun 16, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    That is the problem. You can see in the 'Properties, Details' tab in the screenshot that 'Year' has been selected, but the field is not editable. Do the same for a .mp4 file and when you select Ýear' it is editable.

I've recreated the problem by converting one of my .mp4s to .mkv format. I can edit details for the .mp4 but not the .mkv. You can clearly see a text entry box appears when you select an item for the .mp4, but none appears for the .mkv.

6. mrgeek Win User
    I see, now. Why would I think it was that simple ? *Eek
    As a work around, since he has added the year as a suffix, I would just do a Search by year and then move the results to a new folder with the date, until there are none left in the main folder.

mrgeek, Jun 16, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    Further research suggests that tags for the .mkv format are its Achilles Heel and have never worked properly...

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...or#post2388364

8. dalchina New Member

Using File MetaData (free) you can do the above, but that's it. Very limited for mkv.

dalchina, Jun 16, 2017
  9. Ditendra Win User
    So this is more related to mkv not windows as I see? Is there possibility to contact mkv creators and ask for a suggestion to add year tag to mkv files?

Thx, I have more lol

Ditendra, Jun 17, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    For completeness- in another thread a user discovered that to get properties displayed in the Details pane, an older build of Icaros (a free utility that allows more properties to be displayed, and thumbnails too) is needed if using the Creator's build.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to add details to mkv files for explorer? - Similar Threads - add details mkv

2. add tags to mkv

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    add tags to mkv: hi..i've been facing a problem...i want to organize some files...and when i want to add tags to mkv files...the option "tags" in details tab doesn't work for me and cant add o edit anything in detail tab...
  3. add tags to mkv

in Windows 10 Gaming
    add tags to mkv: hi..i've been facing a problem...i want to organize some files...and when i want to add tags to mkv files...the option "tags" in details tab doesn't work for me and cant add o edit anything in detail tab...
  4. add tags to mkv

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. mkv file details (frame rate height width etc)

in Windows 10 Support
    mkv file details (frame rate height width etc): they dont show in explorer... is there a way to make them appear?? 180300
  6. Add details to files in the detail view

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Add details to files in the detail view: Hello. I have a folder, "Invoices," that has a few different file types in it. The files are invoices that I get from vendors, normally as email attachments. I have over 100 vendors and I get the invoices as PDF's, Excel, or Word. I drag and drop the email attachment to...
  7. 1803 update - No more file details in Windows Explorer columns for mkv

in Windows 10 Support
    1803 update - No more file details in Windows Explorer columns for mkv: and e.g. frame height and width are no longer listed for almost all mkv files and some mp4 files. strangely, some few mkv files work, though most dont display properties in windows file explorer since the 1803 update. apparently this seems to be an issue looking at the...
  8. File Explorer displays MP3 details, NOT File Details. How to switch ?

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer displays MP3 details, NOT File Details. How to switch ?: Hello, In Windows 10 using the File Explorer, When I copy/create a new .MP3 file onto my computer it is displaying the .MP3 info. and not general file info. in the File Explorer. Example: It displays "Name, #, Title, Artist, Album" etc. It should be displaying......
  9. Add more detail to the "Details Pane" in the explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Add more detail to the "Details Pane" in the explorer: Hey, I have a question about the details pane. Can I add a few more parameters to the little preview window on the right? (For music like BPM, Publisher etc) [img] 25119
  10. Windows 10 explorer issues on mkv files

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 explorer issues on mkv files: Hello, I have upgraded to windows 10 from a 7 since one week. I have issue with all directories containing mkv files, the explorer hangs every time it tries to browse the content, even on some rather old mkv files. Explorer is unable either to display the duration or to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mkv info in explorer

2. windows files explorer mkv support

3. mkv in window explorer

4. windows explorer details pane mkv