Windows 10: How to Add Items to "Most Used" menu?

Discus and support How to Add Items to "Most Used" menu? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Dear experts One of the benefits of Windows10 that returned back from Windows7 is the Recent Menus. Unfortunately, this feature is associated... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by drnesr, Nov 22, 2015.

1. drnesr Win User

How to Add Items to "Most Used" menu?

Dear experts

One of the benefits of Windows10 that returned back from Windows7 is the Recent Menus.

Unfortunately, this feature is associated with the "Most Used" section in the Start Menu.

As most users, I used Office application frequently, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access.

Word disappeared from the menu without reason*cry, I would like to add it back. How can I do this?

I know that I can remove some items from the menu, but how can I add some items to this menu?

N.B.
    After the final release of Windows10, I realized that editing this menu is no longer possible!*Confused
    They even do not allow adding any item to the "Most Used" menu if they are pinned to the start menu!!! So I removed all office items from the start menu pin to allow them to be included in the "Most Used" and gain the recent facility, but no luck for Word.

Can we do this by the RegEdit? How?

Please help...

:)

drnesr, Nov 22, 2015
  2. 93tid Win User

How to fix " Unknown Artist " ?

My favourite is MP3Tag, google it.

93tid, Nov 22, 2015
  3. pichs Win User
    How to fix " Unknown Artist " ?

What are third party tag editors?

pichs, Nov 22, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi,
    If you create a folder- call it, say '& My Favourites' - which should put it at the top of the list in the start menu- in
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    -and put whatever shortcuts you want in it, I would think you would get access to those easily.

(Personally, the Win 10 start menu is cumbersome and simply doesn't work for me to access my normal start menu folders and subfolders and thus quite inappropriate to what I need).

dalchina, Nov 22, 2015
  5. drnesr Win User
    Thank you for your reply...
    Unfortunately, this is not what I am asking about, I would like to benefit from the left portion in the start menu to access my recent Word, Excel, etc. files.

Still waiting for an answer...

drnesr, Nov 22, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    That should add to the left side of your start menu, just not in the area you want.

dalchina, Nov 22, 2015
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    I'm sorry but you can't pin files to the start menu, just folders.

BunnyJ, Nov 22, 2015
  8. dalchina New Member

That is a folder I'm talking about.. I've plenty of those showing from my start menu folders from that location.
    And files (shortcuts) from that folder too....

dalchina, Nov 22, 2015
  9. BunnyJ New Member
    Yes.,. you can add folders to the start and then you can have your most frequently used files in there.

BunnyJ, Nov 22, 2015
  10. drnesr Win User
    Could you tell me how?
    Please step by step for the benefit of all readers.
    How to add a folder of the recent MS-Word file to the start menu? and how to add other to the recent MS-Excel files? and so on...

drnesr, Nov 23, 2015
  11. dalchina New Member
    Hi,
    If you create a folder- call it, say '& My Favourites' - which should put it at the top of the list in the start menu- in
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    -and put whatever shortcuts you want in it, I would think you would get access to those easily.

1. Open explorer (Win key + E)
    2. Cut & paste C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu into the address bar
    3. Hit 'Return'
    4. rt click the pane and create a new folder.
    5. Rename it (e.g.) &Myfavourites
    (& makes sure it's at the top)
    6. Put whatever shortcuts you want into the folder.
    7. Close explorer.
    8. Open the Win 10 Start Menu and look for &Myfavourites

Someone else may have another suggestion for you. Good luck!

dalchina, Nov 23, 2015
  12. I have word 2016 pinned to the task bar I just click on it when I want it

hTconeM9user, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to Add Items to "Most Used" menu? - Similar Threads - Add Items Used

2. How to add an item in the rightclick menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to add an item in the rightclick menu: I want to add an item in the rightclick menu, such as open command prompt here, when I click on a folder. How should I archeive that? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-add-an-item-in-the-rightclick-menu/6e343c06-711b-4070-aafc-ed00f225d5f4
  3. The "most used" section of the start menu is useless because it includes items pinned to...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The "most used" section of the start menu is useless because it includes items pinned to...: I already have those apps pinned. Most used should be for the apps I choose most manually from the start menu alphabetical list itself. As in, those I haven't already pinned myself to tiles or the taskbar. Is there any way to change this behavior? Because as it is, the...
  4. How do I add items to the start menu?

How do I add items to the start menu?: I've purchased a bunch of games from Good old Games, which puts the games in a folder called gog.com with each game in it's own folder. This is fine for Windows 7 and earlier, but the Windows 10 start menu combines all those subfolders into one big folder. There are a dozen...
  5. add items in menu Start

add items in menu Start: Hi to whom it may concern. I know how to insert one icon in Start Menu or in application bar but I don't know to insert VLC media reader icon in the list of Apps at left of Start Menu. Could you tell me how to do it? Thank you and Best Regards, Dario...
  6. How to add items to the EXTENDED send-to menu?

How to add items to the EXTENDED send-to menu?: So it seems the extended send-to menu actually shows LESS than the standard send-to menu. I'd like to make them mirror one another and with the way I have send-to currentlyh configured, the only item that shows up in the extended menu is mail and my iphone (if its...
  7. Is it possible to add apps to "Most Used" in the Start menu?

Is it possible to add apps to "Most Used" in the Start menu?: If so, could someone please show me how to do it? I removed a couple of apps from there and they either get replaced by a random program or disappear. 14935
  8. Problems with boot menu, how to add and remove items?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problems with boot menu, how to add and remove items?: Hi, I have only win10 installed, and one system drive. By accident I boot from win8 dvd, and now win8 appears in boot menu. I tried to remove it in msconfig, deleted and rebooted, but it reappears. Also I tried to add safemode options to boot menu, I followed tutorial...
  9. How to get an item added to Most Used on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    How to get an item added to Most Used on Start Menu: I have opened the Paint program add least 100 times in the past two days. It has never been added to the Most Used area of the Start Menu. What do I need to do to get Paint to show in Most Used on the Start Menu? 14565
  10. More items to Most used list

in Windows 10 Support
    More items to Most used list: Hey guys! I am trying to figure out how I can have more than 6 items to the most used list in the Start Menu. I have seen screenshots with more but can't find out where to do that in the options... Soooo... here I am. *Biggrin It's not a big deal so if it's not...