Windows 10: How to assign a range to drive letters in Windows 10.1

Discus and support How to assign a range to drive letters in Windows 10.1 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Greetings, Just one practical question. How do I assign a range of letters, that can be used for e.g. external flash disks, external ssd's/hdd's or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by uplink, Feb 26, 2016.

1. uplink Win User

How to assign a range to drive letters in Windows 10.1

Greetings,

Just one practical question. How do I assign a range of letters, that can be used for e.g. external flash disks, external ssd's/hdd's or memory cards?

I have this nasty issue. I have two Network Attached Drives, on server. They work fine, D and E. But I also have NAS [DS 716+] which is on NAS drive F:. Whenever I shut down my DS 716+, and I connect some external hdd/ssd/memory card, it always asigns letter F:. Which makes these devices quiet inaccessible, or hard accessible, I can't double click them to open, I need to type in manually F:\ etc.

Is there any way via msc or something, where I can define a range of all external hdd's/ssd's and/or memory cards?

Thank You!

Kind regards

Bryan

:)

uplink, Feb 26, 2016

2. Windows 10 bug - USB Drive vs NAS drive mapping conflict

Hello Hector,

NAS Drivers were assigned drive letters using the Command prompt with the /persistent:YES flag.

Internal SDD/HDD/CD/DVD were assigned drive letters using diskmgmt.msc.

My question is not, how to assign drive letters, but, why Windows 10, assigns a currently assigned drive letter (although not connected) to a USB drive, which then can't be seen ?

e.g. H: is assigned to \\HOME\MyUserId

the HOME NAS server isn't online, so the H: drive icon is shown with a Red x, indicating that it's unable to connect to that drive.

I now plug in a USB Drive. The drive is automatically given the drive letter H:, but because H: is already mapped to a NAS drive, the USB Drive isn't displayed until I delete the NAS drive mapping.

Why can't Windows 10, select the next available free drive letter ?

Are there any registry settings involved with the assignment of drive letters to external USB drives ?

EnglishmanInJapan, Feb 26, 2016
  3. colinobj Win User
    Mount ISO image that persists or mount at start-up

Using Windows 10 Home.

I want to have an ISO disk image mounted permanently and assigned to drive letter U - rather like mapping a network drive.

I know how to mount an ISO image in file explorer and assign it a drive letter in diskmgmt. But, when I re-start the computer, the mount does not persist and I have to do the mount/drive-letter assignment all over again.

I know there are 3rd party utilities which can do this, but how do I do it in Windows 10?

Is there a way of making the mount and drive-letter persist?

Or perhaps a command that can be executed at start-up to mount and assign a drive letter?

Or can it be done by kidding the "Map network drive" to map it somehow?

colinobj, Feb 26, 2016
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

5. uplink Win User
    Thank You for Your fast reply whs. Well, the thing is, none of the NAS drives is present in Disk Managment. They never were tbh.

uplink, Feb 27, 2016
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
    Then I guess it is not possible.

7. uplink Win User
    whs - I still though don't understand it. My D: and E: are server shares, it's an equivalent protocolwise to NAS shares. How come that the NAS share is faulty and server shares are okay? Is it because of linux vs. windows environment? [I'm using Windows Server 2012 R2 for server].

uplink, Feb 27, 2016
  8. WHS
    whs Win User

I understand your question but I do not have a viable answer. Sorry.

9. essenbe Win User
    With your NAS running, have you tried diskpart? If you can 'see' it with diskpart, try assigning them as drive letter Y and Z. These are drive letters that windows will usually never get to.

essenbe, Feb 27, 2016
  10. uplink Win User
    Greetings sir essenbe. Upfront, thank You for Your interest in my case.

Well, in general, my problem isn't the disability of changing the NAS drive letters. I'd like to have D:, E: and F: letters reserved for my Network Attached Storage. I know I could simply change them to X:, Y: and Z:.

My issue is that the D: and E: mapped from Windows Server 2012 R2 works perfectly, but F:, that is mapped from Synology DS716+ doesn't.

Thus, I'm trying to figure out, whether I can change some Windows policy settings and force Windows to reserve let's say range from A: to H: for static drives, no matter whether they're assigned, or not, and from I: to Z: for removable devices.

Any clue whether this is possible?

thank You!

humble regards

Bryan

uplink, Feb 27, 2016
  11. essenbe Win User
    If what you want to do is possible, I have no idea how. I have always used the method I suggested above and never had a problem with it.

essenbe, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to assign a range to drive letters in Windows 10.1 - Similar Threads - assign range drive

2. Assigning Drive Letter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Assigning Drive Letter: I am trying to assign a particular letter to one of my hard drives. None of my other drives are assigned that letter, but it is not listed in the choices. Is there something I can do?...
  3. Windows 10 will not assign a drive letter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 will not assign a drive letter: Windows just refuses to assign a drive letter to my external Nvme m2 pcie drive . It can see the drive but incorrectly reports the size as 2TB when it is actually 1Tb then when opening the menus everything is greyed out. I opened the drive in a number of partition programs...
  4. Limit range of drive letters that can be assigned to USB drives?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Limit range of drive letters that can be assigned to USB drives?: I have these scripts that I use with some specific external drives, let's say I: and J:. the scripts require that the external drive always have the same letter. The issue is that if another USB drive was plugged in first, and Windows assigned either I: or J: to this other...
  5. Limit range of drive letters that can be assigned to USB drives?

in Windows 10 Support
    Limit range of drive letters that can be assigned to USB drives?: I have these scripts that I use with some specific external drives, let's say I: and J:. the scripts require that the external drive always have the same letter. The issue is that if another USB drive was plugged in first, and Windows assigned either I: or J: to this other...
  6. Assign a drive letter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Assign a drive letter: When I plug an external hard drive to my PC (Windows 10) via the USB, the computer does not recognize it in Windows Explorer. I have to go into Disk Management to assign the drive a letter before I can see it in Windows Explorer. Is there an option in Windows 10 to...
  7. Change assigned drive letters

in Windows 10 Support
    Change assigned drive letters: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...
  8. Cannot Assign Drive Letter

Cannot Assign Drive Letter: Normally when a drive has no drive letter, I can assign one in disk manager but not this time. Disk Manager does not provide the option of assigning a drive letter so I cannot use the drive??? [img] 111481
  9. Cannot assign a drive letter

Cannot assign a drive letter: Hi folk. I have an external drive where the electronics of the case has failed. I have switched the drive into my pc so that I can use it as an internal drive. The drive is still operational but I cannot see it listed in my drives. Opening up disk manager shows the drive is...
  10. Change and Assign Drive Letter in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change and Assign Drive Letter in Windows 10: How to: Change and Assign Drive Letter in Windows 10 How to Change and Assign Drive Letter in Windows 10 By default, Windows 10 will automatically assign an available drive letter to any connected internal and external storage devices. Windows progresses through the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows drive-letters range

2. windows 1 how to assign a letter to a nas

3. windows 10 assign more drive letters