Windows 10: How to assign Outlook as default handler for .ics files?

Discus and support How to assign Outlook as default handler for .ics files? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; This Windows 10 is getting crappier and crappier! *Mad Apparently due to some recent Windows 10 update the default application to handle .ics... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by mmo, Jun 28, 2017.

1. MMO
    mmo Win User

How to assign Outlook as default handler for .ics files?

This Windows 10 is getting crappier and crappier! *Mad

Apparently due to some recent Windows 10 update the default application to handle .ics (calendar) files is suddenly set to the Windows 10 Calendar app. Since I never use that crappy app I wanted to assign this back to Outlook 2016, which I am using as my day-to-day PIM. But when I try to assign the default for this file type back to Outlook the default application dialog only displays the options "Calendar" and "Search the store for an application". There used to be a link "choose another application" here, that would allow to assign the file type to any locally installed application, but that link is gone! :-O
    So, how to I re-assign this .ics file type back to Outlook 2016???

:)

2. Windows 10 Mail App -- Cannot delete Outlook/365 Exchange account

The calendar app started hijacking appointments from web pages and anything with the .ics suffix. I tried to remove the application following the directions posted, nothing worked. I tried to uninstall it from the applications list, but the uninstall button
    is not active.

Then I looked at the default application assignment list under settings, and changed the .ics assignment to Outlook. That fixed my problem very easily. The application is still there, but it is not hijacking my calendar entries any more.

Microsoft caused me to lose hours of time over this "improvement". I hope this saves others time and effort.

David Fein, Jun 28, 2017
  3. Video Preview in File Explorer Not Working-Windows 10

And you've selected all those files using Preview Handler Editor and assigned them to WinMediaPreview handler?

If so, I don't know what else to tell you. This has worked on several machines and wasn't that difficult to reproduce.

Another thing to try: if Windows Media Player is your default player for media, mp3s, wmas, etc -- then try selecting another program as the default. If you don't have another program, download something free like MPC Classic or VLC.

Sometimes, whatever is the default player can have an effect on how the preview handler behaves.

JSastre_828, Jun 28, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Jun 28, 2017
  5. MMO
    mmo Win User
    No - that's my point. The option "Look for another app on this PC" is missing!
    I can only choose that dreaded Calendar app or "Look for an app in the store", neither of which fits my bill.

6. dalchina New Member
    Have you tried the other methods in that tutorial, and could you post a screenshot of what you're seeing please?
    Which ones have you tried?

Which Win 10 build are you using?
    (Windows key + R, winver)
    Thanks.

dalchina, Jun 28, 2017
  7. MMO
    mmo Win User
    OK - I have meanwhile uninstalled that Calendar app. Now the entry in the file type list reads "Choose a default" but when I click that I now ONLY have "Look for an app in the store". This is such a stupid system!
    Why was this file type ever re-assigned in the first place? This worked perfectly? Why does MS try to shove these damned Metro apps down our throat??? *Banghead

8. dalchina New Member

How to assign Outlook as default handler for .ics files? [​IMG]

Example, from Control Panel, Default Programs, using the Anniversary build.

Please post your equivalent and advise build. Thanks.

dalchina, Jun 28, 2017
  9. MMO
    mmo Win User
    I am running Window 10 Pro v1703 (Build 15063.447) with Office Professional Plus 2016.
    Until a couple of weeks ago downloading a .ics file from a webpage worked perfectly - it opened outlook and entered the calendar entry into the calendar and I only had to confirm and save it.

Since a week or so, doing the same suddenly opened this Calendar app. After I now uninstalled Calendar I now get:

stuck...

These are the two approaches I tried to fix this:

1st approach:

stuck again.

2nd approach:

same as above -stuck again...

10. dalchina New Member
    [SOLVED] File type .ics won't open in Outlook 2016 - Spiceworks

- see the last post perhaps.

Another (easier) possibility might be to try this for Outlook (I don't have it installed): "Set this program as default"

dalchina, Jun 28, 2017
  11. MMO
    mmo Win User
    I have passed by that option as well, but unfortunately Outlook s not listed in this view. :-(

What finally did the trick was that I hammered this association into the registry.
    The key "Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ics" had the value "ics_auto_file" and so I changed the value of key "Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ics_auto_file\shell\open\command" to read:
    Code: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\Outlook.exe" /ical "%1"[/quote] The /cal option is a flag to tell Outlook to open the argument as an ics or ical file.

Now things are back to normal, but in a decent OS such registry hacks definitely should not be necessary!

12. dalchina New Member
    Glad you solved it. Not sure whether blaming the OS or the implementation of applications is appropriate here.. Clearly the issue with Outlook has been previously experienced (first link in my last).

dalchina, Jun 29, 2017
  13. MMO
    mmo Win User

My experience with these repair options is rather mixed. They often change/revert many other settings, too, and are thus more of a hassle than a help. But, yes, maybe your approach might have helped as well...

Thema:

1. How to assign Outlook as default handler for .ics files? - Similar Threads - assign Outlook default

2. How to delete imported .ICS calendar in my Windows Desktop calendar Not Outlook.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to delete imported .ICS calendar in my Windows Desktop calendar Not Outlook.: Hello,I have imported .ICS calendar to my Windows Desktop Calendar app. By Mistake I added it twice, so I want to delete duplicate events. And want to learn how to delete .ICS calendar which I have inserted.I have tried removing my Gmail account connected to this application,...
  3. 21H2 caused Adobe Preview Handler to break in Outlook

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    21H2 caused Adobe Preview Handler to break in Outlook: Hi all,I have a site with multiple users who have had this issue after a round of Windows 10 IPUs but normally it has been one-off users here and there rather than multiple.Before going further, I've already:confirmed that the preview handler is enabled in Outlookconfirmed...
  4. How do I make Edge default Gmail Email handler?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I make Edge default Gmail Email handler?: So whenever I click on Email address literally anywhere on Internet I want Gmail web to open. Is this possible? I see some Google Chrome tutorials for that but don't really for Edge. submitted by /u/Super_Govedo [link] [comments]...
  5. assigning a default program for opening .bat files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    assigning a default program for opening .bat files: see images folks. why can't I in win 10? I want notepad++. possible? [ATTACH] [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/assigning-a-default-program-for-opening-bat-files/1f5a9749-b1eb-405b-9c9a-3ec543112987
  6. Default Browser assignment

Default Browser assignment: I use Microsoft Edge, but also Google Chrome and Firefox. I would like the option to assign NO default for my browsers, rather than having one and having to either copy addresses or re-make links in order to open desktop links, perhaps with the "open with" option available...
  7. How to prevent Windows 10 to change my default PDF-handler?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to prevent Windows 10 to change my default PDF-handler?: I'm using Windows 10 on three computers. After updating Windows, my default handler of PDF-files is changed to Edge. I want to use Acrobat Reader....
  8. Assigning default browser

in Windows 10 Customization
    Assigning default browser: Need help with assigning default programs. Upgraded to windows 10 Pro 64 bit from Win 7 64 bit. My browser of choice is Firefox. When I open Firefox, I am told it is not my default browser. When I try to set it to be default, Settings opens to allow me to make my choice....
  9. How to assign a file association

How to assign a file association: I cannot send pictures from my PC through email. I get a message to file association. Go to control panel and make a file association. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-assign-a-file-association/29138adb-8c51-4f41-9b0e-685440bc6d0f"
  10. How to make Photoscape the default image handler

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to make Photoscape the default image handler: Hi everyone, So, I have just bought a new laptop (Dell Inspiron 14) running Win10. After Win7 everything is a bit of a shock. The current problem I have encountered (there are many more) is that I don't seem to be able to force Win 10 to make Photoscape the default app for...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ics file outlook default app choose default app not listed

2. default ics handler