Windows 10: How to assign Windows key combo to shortcut?

Discus and support How to assign Windows key combo to shortcut? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to make Win + C open the Calculator, but the Shortcut key field in Properties (from the Desktop shortcut) doesn't register a Win key press... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DaveCan, Nov 1, 2017.

1. DaveCan Win User

How to assign Windows key combo to shortcut?

I'm trying to make Win + C open the Calculator, but the Shortcut key field in Properties (from the Desktop shortcut) doesn't register a Win key press (just Ctrl or Alt or Del or a letter).

Is there some way to do this?

:)

DaveCan, Nov 1, 2017
  2. vmars316 Win User

Need a shortcut key for Volume & Brightness Windows 10

Hello & Thanks,

The Function-keys , volume and brightness keys

stopped working on my ThinkPad .

Function-keys etc, are not actualy keys

but a touch sensitive plastic strip with

images of Function-keys etc..

Is there a shortcut-key for Vol and Brightness?

OR Is there a freeware program that will allow me

to assign various Hot key combos to Function-keys etc. ?

Thanks

vmars316, Nov 1, 2017
  3. how to do Win User
    HELP!! - Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I'm now running Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 & I have the same continuous problem with the update

• Toshiba driver update for Toshiba Hotkey Driver - Error 0x800f0203

I tried your Method 1 to fix it which said changes have been made to my computer & to try & update again which failed.. again & the same message above came up again. My laptop is secure as I run Norton 360, so what should I do next to try & fix this problem?
    My laptop is a Toshiba satellite L650.

Thank you

David

how to do, Nov 1, 2017
  4. Plankton Win User

The key combo was used in windows 8 and IDT it works or has a function in windows 10 or if you can even assign one to it. If you have a keyboard that allows macro keys to be assigned then you can.

Plankton, Nov 1, 2017
  5. Gordon7 Win User
    Windows + C = Open Cortana in listening mode (It is locked by Windows to this call)

How to assign Windows key combo to shortcut? [​IMG]

Gordon7, Nov 1, 2017
  6. DaveCan Win User
    OK, I didn't see that on the ref sheet I was looking at, but it doesn't need to be Win + C, I'm OK with any other letter, the point of the post was to try to use the Win key with a letter to open Calculator from anywhere... so, does anyone know how to do that?

DaveCan, Nov 2, 2017
  7. If you are ok with using 3rd party software then the free AutoHotKey will let you assign a key combination shortcut.
    I stay away from the Win key because it might cause conflicts with default Windows shortcuts so I use ctrl + = for Calculator. If you use the Calculator a lot you could remap just one key that you rarely use to launch it, like insert maybe ?

You can do a gazillion other things with AHK and it is the first software I install

AutoHotkey

Run[Wait]

To launch Windows Calculator with ctrl + = is a simple Run code like this:
    Code: Ctrl & =::Run, C:\WINDOWS\system32\calc.exe[/quote] If you need help with AHK there are many friendly and helpful members at the forum
    AutoHotkey Community - Index page

Good luck *Smile

FrillyBits, Nov 2, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

However that needs to be changed if the universal app is to be launched rather than calc.exe doesn't it?

start calculator:
    works in Powershell e.g.

This works in an Autohotkey script:
    #c::Run, explorer.exe shell:appsFolder\Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App

Put that in a text file, rename as .AHK
    Double click it

Windows key + C launches the universal calculator app

dalchina, Nov 2, 2017
  9. You're probably right, I forgot about that app because I never use it.
    I don't use any apps on Windows, only use apps on Android when I go shopping etc *Wink

FrillyBits, Nov 3, 2017
  10. Edwin New Member
    Pin Calculator to the Taskbar and press WinKey+whatever number, (in my case 6):

How to assign Windows key combo to shortcut? [​IMG]

Edwin, Nov 3, 2017
  11. DaveCan Win User
    By the way, Win+C doesn't do anything on my computer; it's set up by the company that provided it to me.

DaveCan, Nov 5, 2017
  12. It is possible the company won't allow you to install and use AutoHotKey.
    The solution offered by Edwin is probably easiest and best *Smile

FrillyBits, Nov 5, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

You can choose a different key...

Usually the autohotkey setting will replace the default.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to assign Windows key combo to shortcut? - Similar Threads - assign key combo

2. Window + Tab key combo not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Window + Tab key combo not working: When trying to use this combination it will open up the menu that the windows key brings up, both keys still work and Alt + Tab still works along with Windows combinations, just not Windows + TabI use windows 11...
  3. Window + Tab key combo not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Window + Tab key combo not working: When trying to use this combination it will open up the menu that the windows key brings up, both keys still work and Alt + Tab still works along with Windows combinations, just not Windows + TabI use windows 11...
  4. How to list all assigned Shortcut Keys for Shortcuts in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    How to list all assigned Shortcut Keys for Shortcuts in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]In this post, we will show you how to find and list all assigned Shortcut Keys (hotkeys) for Shortcuts for your account in Windows 11/10. There are many such hotkeys and it is always a good idea to know them all. List all assigned Shortcut Keys (Hotkeys) for Shortcuts...
  5. How to change the assigned sign on a key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to change the assigned sign on a key: Hello,I want to change the sign which is assigned on a certain key on a keyboard of Lenovo Ideapad 320 laptop.I understood that it can possibly be done with Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center MMKC. However, this doesn't work for me, since MMKC says that no supported device...
  6. How to assign a shortcut key to start a vbs script

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to assign a shortcut key to start a vbs script: Dear Community, I used to have a shortcut key assigned to some vbs script that I would trigger from time to time. The way to set it up was an option provided in a popup which is available by right-click on the script in the file explorer. Currently this option is not shown...
  7. how to assign the function keys

how to assign the function keys: How do I assign the function keys? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-assign-the-function-keys/be4471e2-dc08-43cf-a6df-67e985e30a7c
  8. Shortcut keys assigned to Microsoft Office applications getting removed

Shortcut keys assigned to Microsoft Office applications getting removed: I wonder if anyone could help with this issue I have been having for many months: I use MS Office on a Windows 10 desktop, have previously used Office 2016 and recently upgraded to Office 2019. I like to set up Shortcut Key sequences to open each piece of software - e.g....
  9. assign optional drive to a shortcut

in Windows 10 Support
    assign optional drive to a shortcut: Hello, I have shortcuts to files on a flash drive; the shortcuts are saved on the flash drive as well. When I am trying to open the files through the shortcut on a different computer, I am getting the "Problem with Shortcut" message because the shortcut was created with a...
  10. Assign Keyboard Shortcut to Shortcuts in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Assign Keyboard Shortcut to Shortcuts in Windows 10: How to: Assign Keyboard Shortcut to Shortcuts in Windows 10 How to Assign Keyboard Shortcut to Shortcuts in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows 10, you can assign a keyboard shortcut (aka: shortcut key) to a shortcut on your desktop, taskbar, and Start menu. When...