Windows 10: How to automatically reset COM ports increasing number ?

Discus and support How to automatically reset COM ports increasing number ? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Whenever (after reboot) I connect Modem/Data card to USB port, Drivers installs automatically and COM number changes. It is increasing day by day (Once... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Aabhi021290, Aug 13, 2015.

1. How to automatically reset COM ports increasing number ?

Whenever (after reboot) I connect Modem/Data card to USB port, Drivers installs automatically and COM number changes. It is increasing day by day (Once I saw COM88 and COM89)
    How to Fix COM port number?
    How can I stop my DATA card to install same drivers again and again after every reboot.
    I think this problem is related to my another problem. BSOD BAD_POOL_HEADER Windows 10 Error Multiple times

How to automatically reset COM ports increasing number ? [​IMG]

Please Someone help *Smile

:)

Aabhi021290, Aug 13, 2015
  2. mojo-chan Win User

How do I delete the unused COM ports in Windows 10?

Have you tried going to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\COM Name Arbiter and resetting it to zero?

As well as deleting the old COM ports, you need to reset that to make the next one start from a low number again. I wrote a little app for work (sorry can't post it) that just uninstalls all non-connect
    COM ports and resets this value, and it works in 8.1 but I have not tested 10.

mojo-chan, Aug 13, 2015
  3. MAZZINGER Win User
    Cannot sync via bluetooth with VISTA WMDC and IPAQ6945

I having a similar problem but with an HP 6510, vista and an IPAQ 6945. I can pair both devices and I get back the COM ports defined with the wizard, but the 6945 needs COM5 & COM6, each time I remove and pair again windows will bump up the com port id number.

Anyone know how to reset the counter or work around the problem

Thks.

MAZZINGER, Aug 13, 2015
Thema:

How to automatically reset COM ports increasing number ?

1. How to automatically reset COM ports increasing number ? - Similar Threads - automatically reset COM

2. COM port

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    COM port: I am using window 10, I tried to communicate with arduino mega 2560 by grbl controller. its connected but not active some times its active. why it happened. I tried many times I thoiught the com port service is inturupted by itself?...
  3. COM ports

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    COM ports: Where are the COM ports on windows 11? Looked through device manager and couldnt find any. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports/e9069c14-9696-4ac5-99df-a5a67079048a
  4. com ports

in Windows 10 Customization
    com ports: How do I clear in use com ports in win 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports/13a6b2f9-f52d-467c-a680-4bfa363a639f
  5. COM ports

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    COM ports: Have 2 USB COM ports on my laptop. I use them to connect to and upload Arduino programming. Device manager started out identifying them as COM port 3 an4, now says 4 and 6, sometimes both as COM port 5. Any info appreciated....
  6. Finding com port number.

Finding com port number.: I have a very recently purchased HP LAPTOP-2B3H9B5S. Nov 2020. I am trying to find out how to find the com port settings. i have read the previous quotes from 2019. However they now appear not to be relevant. The latest advice says go to actions and go to previous software...
  7. Com Port

Com Port: My Com 3 Port was working fine and I now plugged in a device and I see 2- Com 2 ports and 1- Com 2 port, none of which are connecting to my device? How can I reinstall the Com 3 port driver if I delete the current one can I still download it>...
  8. Com ports

Com ports: Whenever I try to use serial communation I get an error code #12. The message is I don't have enough room for the com port. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports/2cc86c83-2c30-4ef6-b30b-32cbe6508edb
  9. Com Ports

Com Ports: I'm having a problem with com port #5. It gives me a yellow sign with a quote. Whats happening is when I try to make changes to To my Mitsubishi GX 2000 software program for PLC logic controllers it tells me I have a problem with my comm port. I don't think I'm using a comm...
  10. Com ports

in Windows 10 Customization
    Com ports: Where do I find the com port's that are assigned to a device that is connected with Bluetooth https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/com-ports/1ebde4c0-a50f-4066-aaf1-ef4c7399ebe7