Windows 10: How to autostart an app in Windows 10

Discus and support How to autostart an app in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have seen many requests for 'auto-starts in Windows 10', so I decided to just post this unsolicited procedure. 'Administrator' privileges required.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by WhiteWolf 6.0, Sep 4, 2018.

1. How to autostart an app in Windows 10

I have seen many requests for 'auto-starts in Windows 10', so I decided to just post this unsolicited procedure. 'Administrator' privileges required.

1. Open a File Explorer window and navigate to the folder where the app resides. In the folder where the app resides, create a shortcut from the executable file. Leave this window open.

2. Open a second File Explorer window, next to the one you used to create the shortcut. Navigate to 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp'.

OR-

(Alt method: open a 'Run' window [Win+r] and enter 'shell:startup' or 'shell:common startup'. This will take you to: 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp'), in a new window. Leave both windows open, side-by-side.

3. Drag and drop the shortcut from window 1 to the startup folder. (Admin privileges required here).

4. Verify that the shortcut has been applied to the auto-startup function, open a task manager, select the 'startup' tab and verify that your app is there. If it is, you are ready to go and it will auto-start on next restart.

5. If it is not there, go back to the File Explorer window and verify that the shortcut is still there. If so, restart Windows. Your app should auto-start and should also appear in the TM/Startup window.

Note: If your app still does not auto-start, it may be a more complex program, that requires a different executable file to initiate it. If it starts normally when clicking on its icon on your 'Start' window or the 'All apps' window, right-click on the icon, select 'More' then 'Open file location'. This will take you to the correct executable file. If this is not the location where you created the first shortcut, create one here and follow the rest of the process above. If the file you were taken to is already a shortcut, COPY it (Hold Control-Drag) to the startup window noted in step 2. Be sure you do not MOVE the file or the icon start will no longer work (but it will auto-start- lol)

Hope this works for everyone.

Note 2: Windows Insiders- This process 'should' work in all* WIP versions, up to and including v.1809, b.17751.1.

*'ALL' is not verified, so as always, you are on your own with WIP.

:)

WhiteWolf 6.0, Sep 4, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 4, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Sep 4, 2018
  4. Monk.e83 Win User

How to autostart an app in Windows 10

Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Sep 4, 2018
Thema:

How to autostart an app in Windows 10

1. How to autostart an app in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - autostart app

2. How to add/remove Windows Apps to/from the loggin in autostart list

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to add/remove Windows Apps to/from the loggin in autostart list: Hello everyone !!! :I have a "simple" question today.I downloaded the new Outlook App that replaced the Mail app in Windows 11.I would like to have Outlook starting up at login but I cannot figure out a way to make this happen.Obviously, I wasn't able to create a shortcut to...
  3. How to add/remove Windows Apps to/from the loggin in autostart list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to add/remove Windows Apps to/from the loggin in autostart list: Hello everyone !!! :I have a "simple" question today.I downloaded the new Outlook App that replaced the Mail app in Windows 11.I would like to have Outlook starting up at login but I cannot figure out a way to make this happen.Obviously, I wasn't able to create a shortcut to...
  4. Is it possible to make a script which turns apps in your autostart on or off

in Windows 10 Customization
    Is it possible to make a script which turns apps in your autostart on or off: Hello, i need to find a way to make a .bat file which turns off the autostart for an application lets say "example.exe" and activates the autostart for another "example2.exe". I searched for a while but google only shows results for adding a script to the autostart.so if...
  5. Is it possible to make a script which turns apps in your autostart on or off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to make a script which turns apps in your autostart on or off: Hello, i need to find a way to make a .bat file which turns off the autostart for an application lets say "example.exe" and activates the autostart for another "example2.exe". I searched for a while but google only shows results for adding a script to the autostart.so if...
  6. Is it possible to make a script which turns apps in your autostart on or off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How to make an app autostart as admin on a regular user account?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to make an app autostart as admin on a regular user account?: Hi, just started using PowerToys and it's pretty cool, but it requires admin access for the keyboard manager to work fully. I use a regular user account due to improve security, so if I enable admin mode, it requires the password upon each start-up. How to make it not require...
  8. Autostart apps

Autostart apps: How can I disable the word application automatically open when i turn on my machine? Sandra https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/autostart-apps/dd1b2bcc-5d67-4109-abd4-e0fcdcb80459
  9. Autostart apps

Autostart apps: How can I disable the word application automatically open when i turn on my machine? Sandra https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/autostart-apps/cb5e6abe-52e9-4cf1-9b7b-3768815e1833
  10. Apps started to disappear from autostart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Apps started to disappear from autostart: Hi. Yesterday I noticed that half of my apps started to disappear from autostart, for example Steam, OneDrive or Backup and sync from Google. They are also missing on startup tab in task manager. I need to turn on autostart manually in every app which disappeared (then it...