Windows 10: How to backup and clean install? Specific situation

Discus and support How to backup and clean install? Specific situation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey, guys, so I need your help. I have an ASUS laptop with pre-installed Windows 8 Home(UEFI). I've additionaly installed Ubuntu alongside. After a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Lorantique, Oct 3, 2015.

1. How to backup and clean install? Specific situation

Hey, guys, so I need your help.
    I have an ASUS laptop with pre-installed Windows 8 Home(UEFI). I've additionaly installed Ubuntu alongside. After a while, I wanted to uninstall the Ubuntu and install another distribution but I wasn't sure how to do that, and the guides online just made it worse, as I formatted the Linux partitions but couldn't uninstall GRUB. So, now my HDD looks like in the attachment.
    I have the possibility to upgrade through Dreamspark to Windows 8.1 or to Windows 10, but would like to have a clean install.
    So, my questions are:
    1. Should I get Windows 10 EDU or Windows 8.1 Pro? I'm not sure W10 is ready, and having the 8.1 will give me the possibility to upgrade later.
    2. What do I need to backup and how do I do it? I don't really have an external HDD, so I can't backup all my data on the D:\ partition. How do I backup my current W activation key? Will I need the restore partition? What about the recovery? Ideally, I would like to have a clean install, formatting everything, except D:\.
    3. What is the correct way of uninstalling Linux?
    What do you think? And sorry about the mess on the HDD.

:)

Lorantique, Oct 3, 2015

2. Unusual Situation - Datarecovery / Contact Location

So the question is: How did you do the backup?

Did you use a backup software? Did you just copy the PIM.VOL from your device?

If it was a backup program, you would have to do a restore from backup.

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, Oct 3, 2015
  3. How to backup a Text Messages and how to retrive from cloud/sd card?

Hi,

you cannot actually store your text messages on SD card. It automatically backed up on server.

to backup your text messages goto Settings -> backup and take a backup of text messages.

after resetting or in any other situation your messages will be restored automatically.

Akshay Shinde, Oct 3, 2015
  4. How to backup and clean install? Specific situation

You can download Windows 8.1 install media here, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-refresh-media that will use your embedded 8.0 key. Verified it myself on my ASUS laptop that came with 8.0 Core. That will let you skip the 8.0 to 8.1 upgrade. I just backed up my user folders, Documents, Pictures etc to an external hard drive. Then I wiped all the factory partitions and did a clean install. If you boot from the install media and select custom install, you will have the option to delete any partitions you want, and create new ones. I've done it that way just leaving my Data partition. I then install Windows to the free space at the front of the drive. It then creates all the partitions it needs automatically.
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ad-create.html
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...e-windows.html
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

alphanumeric, Oct 3, 2015
  5. I'm currently running Windows 10 Enterprise on that same laptop. No issues with hardware etc. If you do the free upgrade from 8.1 Core your going to get 10 Home, just so you know. Once you do the upgrade and activate Windows 10, a hardware ID is stored on the activation server. You then have a Digital Entitlement for Windows 10 on that PC. When you do a clean install you just click skip when asked for a key. Then once the hardware ID is checked and verified it activates. I'm running Windows 10 Education on my desktop PC. I have an MSDN subscription so why not. It has some features Pro doesn't, namely Windows To Go. It has more features than Pro but not as many as Enterprise. IMHO if you have the option, I'd pick Education over Pro.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/Wind...siness/Compare

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can get Windows 8.1 for free - and the upgrade to Windows 10 Home from that for free. I would use the Dreamspark account for Windows 10 EDU which has all the features of Pro and more.

Looking at your disk layout, if D: drive is all you want to save, I would use MiniTool Partition Wizard to erase everything after the D: drive partition, move the D: drive partition into the free space at the end of the disk. At that point, your computer should still boot into the old OS.

Boot from whatever Windows install media you make, either the 8.1 or Windows 10 EDU, select custom install, delete all the partitions on the hard drive except for the D: drive which you moved to the end, and let Windows install to the big, empty unallocated space and let Windows install create the partitions it needs.

If you want to see your existing Windows 8 key (which should be stored in bios and will not get erased with the hard drive), you can run showkey plus from this forum.

In my opinion, 99% media hype. But if it concerns you then don't install Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Oct 3, 2015
  7. What about the microsoft "spying" thing?

And I only have access to the German version of the OS. The language packs also don't include English. Would there be a possibility to install for free a language pack in the OS?

Lorantique, Oct 3, 2015
  8. How to backup and clean install? Specific situation

I won't be needing the restore partition?

Lorantique, Oct 3, 2015
  9. alphanumeric, Oct 3, 2015
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    The restore partition is used for 2 things.

1. The factory restore partition can be used to restore the computer back to the original factory software state, including all the extra crapware they put on. If you never want that back and are satisfied with just plain Windows - than you can delete the factory restore partition.

2. The restore partition that Windows creates allows you to reset the Windows installation back to a clean state without an external USB or DVD. Creating a Windows installation USB or DVD will also do exactly the same thing, so you don't need the restore partition if you have the installation media.

NavyLCDR, Oct 3, 2015
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Changing languages like that from the language that came installed on the computer will require a new product key or Windows won't activate. For example, computer comes with German Windows 8, he downloads English Windows 8, the English Windows 8 won't be able to use the product key stored in bios because the stored key is for German Windows 8. Product Keys are both language and version specific.

NavyLCDR, Oct 3, 2015
  12. I wasn't aware they were language specific? First I've heard of that, other than the Single Language version having its own set of keys?

13. How to backup and clean install? Specific situation

Thank you very much, you've been very helpful. Do language packs translate absolutely everything?

Lorantique, Oct 3, 2015
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Using product key of english version of Windows7 to install a version - Microsoft Community

That has carried forward through Windows 8 and 10.

I have no experience with language packs, can't help you with that. *Zip

NavyLCDR, Oct 3, 2015
  15. Hmm, I wouldn't exactly call that official confirmation. I can't prove or disprove it myself so I'll take your word for it. If I was in the OP's situation I think I'd try it anyway. You could always start over with the correct language version for that key if it doesn't work with an English ISO.

Thema:

How to backup and clean install? Specific situation

1. How to backup and clean install? Specific situation - Similar Threads - backup clean install

2. Full backup and restore on clean install?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Full backup and restore on clean install?: I have an i9 computer which upgraded from Windows 10 to 11. Can I create a full backup image with my apps, do a Windows 11 clean install, and then restore the image? If so, any directions/information?...
  3. Full backup and restore on clean install?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Full backup and restore on clean install?: I have an i9 computer which upgraded from Windows 10 to 11. Can I create a full backup image with my apps, do a Windows 11 clean install, and then restore the image? If so, any directions/information?...
  4. Insert key not working in specific situations

in Windows 10 Support
    Insert key not working in specific situations: For the first time, I have needed to use the Insert key on my laptop, but I have discovered that it doesn't work when I need it to work. To be more specific, it doesn't work when I try to use it in Freeplane or Freemind (in both of which it causes a new child node to be...
  5. Scared to do a clean install due to situation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Scared to do a clean install due to situation: I work at a small business (3 computers) that has no IT and bad computer setup. I have been doing my best as acting IT and been trying to update their system. However, I am quite scared to make the final leap that will help with their setup. Their current main computer is the...
  6. Recommended clean install for this situation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recommended clean install for this situation: A friend has an AIO that was originally Windows 8, don’t know if it was upgraded to 8.1. The computer was upgraded to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period but it ran lousy. Her “expert” daughter wiped the HDD shortly afterward. Didn’t know what to do after that. A few...
  7. Clean Install then Recover Backup?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clean Install then Recover Backup?: Long story sort I kind of messed up my GPT partition table. I have backed up an image of my Boot partition only (C:\) and not any other partitions such as bootloader etc... So my question is, would I be able to start all over, re-format the drive from Win10 installation...
  8. How to backup programs for clean installation

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    How to backup programs for clean installation: I plan on doing a clean install of Windows however, as I have limited time and slow internet speed, downloading all the programs again that I currently have would be extremely difficult and time-consuming. How do I backup all of my programs so that I can just restore them...
  9. Windows running slowly in specific situations

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows running slowly in specific situations: Over the last few days (since maybe Thursday but definitely Friday) my Win10 machine has been running slowly in certain situations. The programs iTunes, GSAK, and Unreal Tournament 2004 run slowly in general, much slower than my new hardware has been able to output since I...
  10. Very interesting clean installation situation for both 7 and 10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Very interesting clean installation situation for both 7 and 10.: Note: The issue is not caused by Windows downloading every language pack available. For both Windows 7 and 10, the installation will take ~10 hours. The upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Premium OEM will take ~30 hours. I have also purchased a Windows 10 Home USB for a...