Windows 10: How to backup/move Favorites Bar folder to new computer?

Discus and support How to backup/move Favorites Bar folder to new computer? in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello. I backed up and restored my Bookmarks (IE11) but the backup didn't include the Favorites Bar folder. Any advice on how to get that folder onto... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Dutch, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Dutch Win User

How to backup/move Favorites Bar folder to new computer?

Hello. I backed up and restored my Bookmarks (IE11) but the backup didn't include the Favorites Bar folder. Any advice on how to get that folder onto the new computer (which is using Edge)?

Thanks.

:)

Dutch, Jun 15, 2017

2. Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge

I imported my Favorites and Favorites Bar from Internet Explorer. I now want to move favorites into a different folder. When I right click on the Favorite link I get options to Open, Create new folder, Remove or Rename. There is no move option. How do
    I move this favorite link into a different folder in Favorites?

DarrellHogan, Jun 15, 2017
  3. MS Edge and moving favorites

How do I move a favorite into a folder in my favorites' bar?

theoriginalrocknrobin, Jun 15, 2017
  4. Try3 Win User

1 To backup IE Favorites just copy the Favorites folder. By default this is at C:\Users\YourUserName\Favorites. It includes the Favorites bar contents as one of its subfolders.

2 Edge has a built-in procedure for you to import IE Favorites. It does not use that folder itself, Edge saves its Favorites in a database of its own. The original IE Favorites will just sit in their folder untouched by Edge. If you wanted to get them out again you would have to run its export routine [which produces a single file just like the corresponding IE export routine].

Denis

5. Dutch Win User
    Let's see if I have this right. When I copy the Favorites folder from Computer A (old computer) onto Computer B (new computer), do I copy the folder to C:\Users\YourUserName\ on the new computer?

Assuming that's correct, is this the next step for getting the Favorites to work in Edge: Open Edge and Import the Favorites from C:\Users\YourUserName\? Or will they simply appear in Edge when I move the folder into C:\Users\YourUserName\ on the new computer?

Thanks.

Dutch, Jun 16, 2017
  6. Try3 Win User
    Yes, you copy to the same place it came from or its equivalent - You might copy from C:\Users\MyOldUserName\Favorites to C:\Users\MyNewUserName\Favorites

You actually have to do the import in Edge. They will not import without doing that. [IE, on the other hand, would see the Favorites as soon as they were in place. IE is also installed on Windows 10 computers - Start menu, Windows accessories, Internet explorer].

Denis

7. Tony K Win User
    Hi there, Dutch. Not sure why, but sometimes I found when copying Favorites the Favorites Bar folder doesn't always tag along, therefore needing to copy it individually to do so.

Edge uses HTML for its favorites, so when importing from another browser it converts them for its own database as Try3 stated.

Here's how to import from within Edge: Import Favorites from Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge Windows 10 Browsers Email Tutorials

To back up Edge favorites: Backup and Restore Microsoft Edge Favorites in Windows 10 Windows 10 Browsers Email Tutorials

Hope that helps.

Tony K, Jun 16, 2017
  8. Dutch Win User

I had to type in each website then click the star, then tell it where to add the link. Took time but got it done.

Thanks.

Dutch, Jun 16, 2017
  9. Tony K Win User
    Glad to see you got it done, but, if I may ask, how many Favorites did you have?

Tony K, Jun 17, 2017
  10. Dutch Win User
    On the Favorites Bar at the top, I fit as many as possible which is 30, then another 20 in the drop-down part of the Favorites Bar. This is partly because I speak several languages and so some different language versions of some sites such as Google and Wikipedia (for example) are on the Favorites Bar.

As for plain old Favorites, I don't think they can be easily counted.

Dutch, Jun 17, 2017
  11. Tony K Win User
    Thanks for taking the time to answer. *Smile

I see, so it was the just the Favorites Bar Favorites Bar you had to make, which is plenty enough.

Edge is still in development and hopefully they'll develop a way to import those also.

Tony K, Jun 17, 2017
  12. Dutch Win User
    Yes, it was that bar. In the meantime, I just noticed another thing I'd like to mimic in Edge. Above the Favorites Bar on my IE11 computer are the following options (probably a tool bar):
    File Edit View Favorites Tools Help

Is there something similar in Edge and if so, where can I find it and how can it be added above the Favorites Bar items?

Thanks!

Dutch, Jun 17, 2017
  13. Tony K Win User

You’re welcome, Dutch.

As you know Edge is one of many Universal Windows Platform apps, which are designed to run across all devices so to be familiar using any device with touch screen, keyboard (including screen keyboard), and mouse. Here we’ll concentrate on how these apps are intermingled making tasking and storage across all devices easier. Much of this involves the cloud. Much of this is referred to by MS as “Windows as a service”.

Edge is designed to be a lightweight, safe browser app with a new way of multitasking with its own new features. I’m sure new features will be added with time. For now, the tool/menu bar has been replaced with its own menu bar as with all UWP apps.

You can save a web page via the “Web Note” feature (pen icon). Click that, make a note if you wish, and click on the floppy icon to save with an option of your choice, either to OneNote, to Reading list, or Favorites. The three-dot menu to print and other options. The option of OneNote to view, make (more) notes, or print at a later time.

"What's new and tips" on the 3-dot menu or F1 is Help. This is very useful to learn features.

The more one uses/plays with the menu the more one can see all the useful features. BTW, I have a tower PC, lappy, and a Lumia phone all with Windows 10. Also, I'm an insider and there are more features added to Edge in our latest Insider Preview build. F11 full screen is one.

Make a note (or not) and save.

How to backup/move Favorites Bar folder to new computer? [​IMG]

Save in the Reading list to view offline.

Saved in the Reading list.

View offline.

Opened in OneNote.

Save in Favorites to view online again.

More here: Overview of Windows as a service (Windows 10) | Microsoft Docs

More here: Universal Windows Platform apps - Wikipedia

Tony K, Jun 17, 2017
  14. Dutch Win User
    HippsieG:

That's a lot of info. Will read it over and check out those features. Thanks.

Dutch, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to backup/move Favorites Bar folder to new computer? - Similar Threads - backup move Favorites

2. how to backup favorites in windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to backup favorites in windows 10: I am going to windows 11 on a new computer.. How do I back-up my favorites in windows to, so I can transfer them to windows 11? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-backup-favorites-in-windows-10/16a83c6b-83d3-4a7a-9c6d-9f1e25960093
  3. Favorites Bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Favorites Bar: As of today, 11/20/2020, the area for my favorites has shrunk to where I can't read info which I need. The area of favorites is now shorter and narrower. The area does not allow me to scroll horizontal, so my info is unavailable....
  4. Favorites, Favorites Bar and Other Favorites

in Browsers and Email
    Favorites, Favorites Bar and Other Favorites: When I first used the new Edge (Chrome??) I imported my bookmarks and bookmarks tool bar from Firerfox and got lost in the terminology of Edge. I am sure I don't understand the difference between 'Favorites', 'Favorites Bar' and 'Other Favorites'. Each seems to contain the...
  5. favorite Bar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    favorite Bar: how do I delete items listed on my favorite bar? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/favorite-bar/30425629-414b-4cb0-be0a-427573c39f78
  6. Edge - Favorites Bar - How to move shortcuts?

in Browsers and Email
    Edge - Favorites Bar - How to move shortcuts?: I imported 25 items from IE 11 for my Favorites Bar. 17 is the max number that appears on the horizontal display of the Favorites Bar and 8 appear on the drop down portion below the 'V'. I found that I can drag and move ONLY the ones on the horizontal line to rearrange them,...
  7. Favorites bar

in Browsers and Email
    Favorites bar: Hi folks. My Favorites bar has gone. Not talking about Bookmarks but Favorites. I'm using Google Chrome and the bar was there last night but has now disappeared. Any thoughts? In the meantime I've tried to recall as many favorites as possible and put them into Bookmarks but...
  8. Menu Bar, Favorites & Favorites Bar

in Browsers and Email
    Menu Bar, Favorites & Favorites Bar: I am presently using IE 11 and thinking about switching to another browser. I am looking for a browser that has the above titles shown on the home page in the same way as IE 11. Are there any available? 71224
  9. How to add a favorite to favorites bar in Edge?

in Browsers and Email
    How to add a favorite to favorites bar in Edge?: Hey gang, I can't seem to figure this one out. When I set up Win 10 a few days ago, I imported my IE settings into Edge. All my favorites are there, and the ones I had pinned to my favorites bar are there. But I can not seem to figure out, how to add a favorite to the...
  10. Move Location of Favorites Folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Move Location of Favorites Folder in Windows 10: How to: Move Location of Favorites Folder in Windows 10 How to Move Your Favorites Folder Location in Windows 10 Your favorites from Internet Explorer are saved into your Favorites folder. By default, Windows stores your personal Favorites folder in your account's...