How to be offered Ubuntu at time of boot (GNU GRUB?)

Discus and support How to be offered Ubuntu at time of boot (GNU GRUB?) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So hey -- I've done all the hard work but the last step has perplexed me. I've installed Ubuntu Budgie on a separate partition of my disk so that I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by The Pool Man, Aug 4, 2018.

1. The Pool Man Win User

So hey -- I've done all the hard work but the last step has perplexed me. I've installed Ubuntu Budgie on a separate partition of my disk so that I can dual boot Win10 or Budgie.

(I'm doing this because I have a mini PC from Beelink and I'm attempting to see if Budgie is a 'lighter' OS than Win10 and, therefore, would help the Apollo Lake unit run even faster.)

My problem is that when I boot up the PC is supposed to ask me which OS I want. It doesn't. I've seen in tutorials that something called the GNU GRUB menu is what I need to have come up.

I know this is a Linux question but is there a Windows way to make Windows offer me a choice of which partition to use at boot?

Thanks

:)

The Pool Man, Aug 4, 2018
  2. dropkickhazy Win User

Deleting Grub GNU

I had installed Ubuntu as a dual boot option on my laptop. I have since deleted it but no matter what I have tried I can not get the grub loader off my computer. I have tried the following:

used disk manager to delete the Ubuntu partition

tried bootrec/fix mbr and fix boot

totally reset the PC deleting all files and reinstalling windows 10

Yet its still on my laptop. Windows loads fine but I would like still like the grub loader gone. I believe its in the EFI partition and am not sure if I delete the partition through "diskpart" if it will cause problems when booting the system and if I can
    reinstall the EFI that's supposed to be there.

dropkickhazy, Aug 4, 2018
  3. ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP) Win User
    Dual boot with Ubuntu

Are you booting from a Grub loader or from the win loader? It will not delete the Ubuntu partition or data but you may have to re-install the loader if it is Grub/Ubuntu

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Aug 4, 2018
  4. Nutty User Win User

Make Windows 10 Bootloader Override Windows 7 Bootloader/GRUB

Now after running into two different grub errors, my PC refuses to boot from anything. First I got the grub error no such partition, so I booted from Ubuntu 17.10 install disk and reinstalled Ubuntu 17.10, removing the previous installation of Ubuntu 17.10. After resinstalling, I booted once, and grub appeared normally, I think I also booted into Windows 10 from grub and ever after that, I can no longer boot period. I get this:

GNU GRUB version 0.97 (593K lower / 523264K upper memory)
    [ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible completions of a device/filename. ]

I've tried booting from Windows 7 & 10, Ubuntu 17.10, 18.04 & DBAN (hdd wipe) disks with no success. Now what? (trying the grub commands from this link:

How to recover lost GRUB bootloader in Linux

didn't work).

Nutty User, Aug 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to be offered Ubuntu at time of boot (GNU GRUB?) - Similar Threads - offered Ubuntu boot

2. How to rename the default folder "3D Objects" to "Work"?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to rename the default folder "3D Objects" to "Work"?: Hi, I am not a graphics expert or have nothing to do with 3D modelling and hence have no use for the folder name "3D objects". I would rather rename it to something useful like "Work" please can you assist me in this? I followed these steps:...
  3. I get random blue screens all the time the included solution does not work!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I get random blue screens all the time the included solution does not work!: I get random blue screens with a crash code bad_pool_caller. I checked the Microsoft Support website but the included solution does not help (check if all of your drivers are updated) they werent but I updated them and its still happening I tried some other things for example...
  4. Unmountable boot error

Unmountable boot error: Hello! My laptop has been getting the blue screen with the “unmountable boot error” when I try to start it up. I made USB drive of the windows media installation to try to fix it but it doesn’t show up. Ive tried changing the boot order & tried using F9 to select it but it’s...
  5. How to get mouse to move between the two monitors.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to get mouse to move between the two monitors.: I have a Toshiba Satellite s55 and a dell monitor. Can get home screen on monitor but if I choose 2 as the monitor I can't get the mouse to come back to my laptop....
  6. My computer can not boot and shut down properly

My computer can not boot and shut down properly: My computer is not starting up and shutting down properly. At first the system started up correctly but I was strangely redirected to a screen that asked me to sign out and sign in again for Windows to work properly I did just that and it was successful. After like 10...
  7. How can I set Custom Paper as Default Paper SIze in windows 10

How can I set Custom Paper as Default Paper SIze in windows 10: I have POS printer installed in my system. I defined a Custom Receipt Paper size in Printer server properties, which is not listing in my printers paper size and the same i need to set it as my default paper Moved from: Apps on Windows 10 / Other Windows apps / Social...
  8. Why do I see this at every boot on the desktop?

Why do I see this at every boot on the desktop?: I am the admin...no kids in the house...yet I see this annoying window at each start...10PRO 64bit [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_desk/why-do-i-see-this-at-every-boot-on-the-desktop/b83e01a9-84fa-4fed-80ae-f1383265e609
  9. How to Enable or Disable Boot Log in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to Enable or Disable Boot Log in Windows 10: [IMG] Booting the computer system involves loading an operating system from the various boot devices like drivers, network, and USB drives when the computer is switched on. Once the startup sequence finishes loading the operating system, the system hardware will be [...]...
  10. How to fix corrupted bootres.dll file in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to fix corrupted bootres.dll file in Windows 10: [ATTACH] In this post, we will see what is the bootres.dll file in the Windows 10 OS and where is it located. We will also see how to fix or replace a corrupted bootres.dll file that may prevent you from booting [...] This post How to fix corrupted bootres.dll file in...