Windows 10: How to boot Win10 without the System Reserved Partition ?

Discus and support How to boot Win10 without the System Reserved Partition ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It is possible in Win8. If it is possible in Win10, I'd like to know how. 5233 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sebastian42, Apr 5, 2015.

1. How to boot Win10 without the System Reserved Partition ?

It is possible in Win8. If it is possible in Win10, I'd like to know how.

:)

Sebastian42, Apr 5, 2015

2. Is it safe to increase the size of my System Reserved partition in a Win7/Win10 dual boot?

I have Windows 7 and Windows 10 in a dual-boot state (Win10 installed after Win7, both on different drives); but my Win7 installation does not create a separate
    System Reserved partition. I assume that all Win10 files which are stored in a
    System Reserved partition are stored in the System Reserved partition created by Win7...

...But there is one problem: As a stand-alone OS, Win10 creates a 500MB
    System Reserved partition, and my Win7 System Reserved partition is only 100MB, and my dual-boot Win10 installation is using or sharing the Win7
    System Reserved partition, since it was created first.

Here's the dual-boot screen:

How to boot Win10 without the System Reserved Partition ? [​IMG]

Here's the dual-boot setup in Win10:

And here is the dual-boot setup in Win7:

Given a test run, I discovered that, with Win7 and Win10 on your machine, you can't have 2 separate
    System Reserved partitions (one on the Win7 drive and one on the Win10 drive), because upon boot of one OS or the other, errors, blue screens and the need to repeatedly check the disks for consistency have the potential to corrupt either one OS or
    both.

Since my assumption is that the Win7/Win10 dual-boot setup shares the same
    System Reserved
    partition, is it safe to increase the size of this partition to 600MB (100MB for Win7 + 500MB for Win10), especially with the possibility that Win10 may dump enough files into this partition to completely fill or overwhelm the original
    100MB that was created with the Win7 installation? I have Acronis Disk Director 12, which can resize any volume, before or after the OS partition.

CookyMonzta, Apr 5, 2015
  3. newnerd Win User
    Only 28 MB of 100 MB available in System Reserved for Win10 upgrade?

Hi Jessen:

Thanks for your reply. I am still concerned about there not being enough space in the system reserved partition to allow an update install of Windows 10. I have another pc with a clean install of the Win10 Tech preview installed from an ISO. That
    install automatically created a 500 MB System Reserved partition and it shows only 140 MBs open space left.

With only a 100 MB system reserved partition on the NUC pc I'm going to upgrade from Win7 to Win10 and only 28 MBs of that remaining, will the Windows 10 upgrade succeed? The system reserved partition was created by the Win7 install program and it shows
    "100 MB NTFS Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition). The (CHow to boot Win10 without the System Reserved Partition ? :) partition says "167.58 GB NTFS Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition." Since the system reserved partition says Active isn't it needed to boot the PC and will Windows 10
    be able to use a system reserved partition with only 28 MBs free?

newnerd, Apr 5, 2015
  4. adamf Win User

How to boot Win10 without the System Reserved Partition ?

Yes it is. At minimum if you have EFI you need 2 partitions - An ESP containing your boot files as that is where EFI system looks, and your OS partition. MS recommends a 128MB MSR (Microsoft Reserved) partition as well before the OS partition but it will boot and run fine without.

For a BIOS install you only need 1 partition (unless you use bitlocker). I have a BIOS install and have just one partition - the recovery files are placed on C:\.

adamf, Apr 5, 2015
  5. Thank you. I'm a bit thrown by all those acronyms. I got advice elsewhere that worked PERFECTLY for me. It requires a new install but then does what is needed. I reproduce it here :
    Choose custom install and then select the advanced drive options. The advanced drive options will give access to the partitioning tools. Delete all but the System Reserved Partition. Then stretch the System Reserved Partition to the
    size you want the Operating System Partition to be. Once the system reserved partition has been resized, continue with the installation.

Sebastian42, Apr 5, 2015
  6. adamf Win User
    I don't know what you mean by system reserved partition really. There is your MSR which is microsoft reserved partition which is not required, fixed in size and probably not what you mean.

If you mean you want you C: drive to take half your disk (or whatever) then at install time do pretty much as you describe above - delete all the partitions and create one the size you want. You'll then end up with empty space after that you can format as a data partition. You should only do that on an empty disk though.

Is that what you want to do? If not please post a picture of your disk management and explain what you are trying to do - dual boot, leave space for a data partition etc.

adamf, Apr 5, 2015
  7. WHS
    whs Win User
  8. WHS
    whs Win User

9. "and probably not what you mean.": I'd say the opposite. MSR qualifies for the (extra) partition I want to not have. As I reported above, I am very happy with the results of the procedure I outlined. "You should only do that on an empty disk though" I did it on a disk, all of whose space was available to the O/S. Because you have asked me to 'explain what you are trying to do', I will go into the following complex rant.
    CLONING exists and allows me to make a WORKING copy of a system. I can afford to ruin that copy by experimentation-that-goes-wrong, because I still have 'the original'. When technology was less reliable than now, I learned to keep copies of the last few stages of my system - as I changed-it-for-any-number-of-reasons. I did that by having a few suitably sized partitions on a much larger hard drive, and clone the most recent system over the partition with the oldest system on it. But the cloner I use, can only clone one partition to one other. A Win10 system comes as a pair of partitions, so I want to reduce that to ONE, to be able to continue my security habit.

Sebastian42, Apr 6, 2015
  10. adamf Win User
    For BIOS based PC one partition is fine. You can either install it on one partition (by formatting the partition manually at install time as you did before) or move the boot files as @whs describes in his tutorial. It works fine - I use one partition on 10.

adamf, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. How to boot Win10 without the System Reserved Partition ? - Similar Threads - boot Win10 without

2. Boot files missing from system reserved partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boot files missing from system reserved partition: My husband is trying to move boot files from the hard drive to the ssd, but there are no files showing in the system reserved partition. I have checked, they are not hidden. He originally had my windows 10 on a thumb drive but has already deleted it so we cannot start over...
  3. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  4. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  5. System Reserved Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System Reserved Partition: Hello, I did some storage upgrade on my system by adding an M.2 NVME 1TB SSD drive and cloned my old drive that has windows 10 operating system. I now have two systems reserved partition on both the old and newly installed drive. The system reserved section limits my...
  6. System reserved Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System reserved Partition: as you can probably see in the screenshot , my System reserved Partition and the partition where my windows is installed are on totally different drives: windows: drive 0 (SSD) System reserved Partition: drive 1 (HDD) what i want is simple: move System reserved Partition...
  7. Recovery Partitions/System Reserved Partitions

Recovery Partitions/System Reserved Partitions: I have Windows 10 Home Version 1803 installed in my pc. Windows is installed on Disk 5. Disk 5 contains my C drive and D partition that I created after Windows was installed. It also contains a partition named System Reserved which Windows created when I installed Windows...
  8. How to create a System Reserved Partition???

How to create a System Reserved Partition???: In my laptop, i have 2 drives,first one is 1TB HDD which is completely empty and have no System Reserved Partition but second one is 120GB SSD, in which the windows 10 is installed and it also do have 549MB System Reserved partition. My question is there any to way to create...
  9. Windows 10 without system reserved partitions

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 without system reserved partitions: Hi can anybody please explain these two questions: A- How many are the partitions that windows 10 automatically creates during installation, what are they for and what is it stored in them? B- if I choose not to have them (for example by creating the windows partition with...
  10. No system reserved partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No system reserved partition: Installed a Samsung SSD on my Asus CM6730-06 desktop running Win7. the Win7 OS was cloned from the Asus Pc to Samsung SSD. Windows 7 runs great off the SSD. Got a Windows 10 upgrade notice and received an automatic download of Win10 but when it tries to install I get the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to recover system reserved partition in win10