Windows 10: how to cancel windows defender automatic scans?

Discus and support how to cancel windows defender automatic scans? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Is there a way to have real-time protection of WD, but without the automatic scans? 52486 Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by shmu26, Jun 5, 2016.

1. shmu26 Win User

how to cancel windows defender automatic scans?

Is there a way to have real-time protection of WD, but without the automatic scans?

:)

shmu26, Jun 5, 2016

2. Problem updating Windows Defender

when I update windows defender in my pc it is automatically cancelled what is the solution of this problem tell me please

[Original Title: windows defender]

adarshsinghiitm, Jun 5, 2016
  3. With Windows 10 after using AVG Internet Security can one readily change to Windows Defender?

Windows Defender does the same job as AVG. Running AVG will automatically cancel WD because there should not be two anti-virus solution running at the same time.

You will have to decide which way you want to go. Personally, I prefer Windows Defender..

Mike Hall... always, Jun 5, 2016
  4. Borg 386 Win User

Borg 386, Jun 5, 2016
  5. philc43 Win User
    If you really want to, you can disable the scheduled scan task for Windows Defender. Personally I have never found it to be a problem. You will find the task in the Microsoft > Windows tasks in Task Scheduler. Right click it to select disable.

how to cancel windows defender automatic scans? [​IMG]

philc43, Jun 5, 2016
  6. shmu26 Win User
    thanks. Maybe it only bothers me when I re-enable WD.
    Does WD normally only scan during idle?
    If so, it shouldn't bother me under normal circumstances, because I leave my desktop running long enough to go through an idle cycle.

shmu26, Jun 5, 2016
  7. philc43 Win User
    The scheduled scans only run when the computer is idle, you can check this by looking at the conditions and make further changes to the conditions if you wish; for example you could only allow it to start after an idle period of say 1 hour. You would right click and select properties if you want to do this.

philc43, Jun 5, 2016
  8. shmu26 Win User

thanks
    I took the tick out of run task as soon as possible if missed

shmu26, Jun 5, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    Real Time Protection means it starts working the moment the user turns on the computer.
    "Start working" includes scanning the system quietly in the background.

How do you expect WD to do real-time protection if you disallow it to do automatic scanning ?

davidhk, Jun 6, 2016
  10. Shmu, I've never had a problem with this. Occasionally, I run a Defender quick scan and it only takes a few minutes.

Vince Massi, Jun 6, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    Agreed.

davidhk, Jun 6, 2016
  12. philc43 Win User
    My understanding is that Windows Defender uses real-time protection to scan everything that you download or run on your PC. This happens in real-time whenever you run a file or request a download. The scanning that the OP is worried about is separate and looks at all the files on your PC irrespective of whether you are using them or not. It is possible to have real time protection always on but only perform a full scan by manual triggering it from the WD control panel. The default is to have automatic scanning set to run in the background when the PC is idle because most people would forget to do manual scans.

philc43, Jun 6, 2016
  13. davidhk Win User

davidhk, Jun 7, 2016
  14. philc43 Win User
    Scroll to the bottom of the WD > Settings page and you can then select Open Windows Defender. You can then run a manual scan from the app. In my earlier post I explained that the automatic scanning is triggered via the Task Scheduler and that is where you turn it off or adjust the way it is triggered. As I said I have no problem with the automatic scanning - it performs unobtrusively in the background and usually only when the system is idle.

philc43, Jun 7, 2016
  15. davidhk Win User
    I missed the part about Task Scheduler in your earlier post.
    I thought it could be done another way.
    Thank you anyway.

davidhk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. how to cancel windows defender automatic scans? - Similar Threads - cancel defender automatic

2. How to you cancel a full Windows Defender scan started with PowerShell

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to you cancel a full Windows Defender scan started with PowerShell: Simple question: how do you stop a scan started with the Start-MpScan -ScanType Full PowerShell command? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-you-cancel-a-full-windows-defender-scan/c5a28204-8c67-45fc-8f88-7eab29276ec6
  3. How to you cancel a full Windows Defender scan started with PowerShell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to you cancel a full Windows Defender scan started with PowerShell: Simple question: how do you stop a scan started with the Start-MpScan -ScanType Full PowerShell command? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-you-cancel-a-full-windows-defender-scan/c5a28204-8c67-45fc-8f88-7eab29276ec6
  4. How to you cancel a full Windows Defender scan started with PowerShell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Defender won't scan automatically

Windows Defender won't scan automatically: I just ditched Norton 360, opting to use just Windows Security. I thought that Windows would automatically scan my computer at various times without me doing a thing. Instead, I can go over 24 hours, and find that Windows has not done any scans at all. I have to manually go...
  6. Automatic Scan in Windows Defender

Automatic Scan in Windows Defender: Can Windows Defender be set to automatically scan at desired intervals?[Original Title: Windows Defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/automatic-scan-in-windows-defender/f55df008-d13a-4d73-98ea-0b5ae3857f37
  7. Automatic scan after defender update?

Automatic scan after defender update?: Hello, On my laptop, a quick scan is performed after each defender update. I wanted to set it up on the second laptop without Insider, which obviously doesn't do it, but I didn't figure out where to set it up. Please help Thank you...
  8. How do I stop automatic scans with Windows Defender?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I stop automatic scans with Windows Defender?: I really dislike how the ''quick scan'' feature happens randomly and especially when I'm gaming. It takes up to 15-20% CPU usage and its enough to make me freeze/stutter in CPU intensive games until the scan is done. I don't mind scans when I'm away from the computer which I...
  9. defender automatic update and scan

defender automatic update and scan: first let me say I am on a metered network....so my automatic update of windows 10 operating system is switched off...only operates on my command altho the defender update says it is automatic.i have to prompt every time....is this because of my "switched off " status.......
  10. windows defender automatically scan thumb drives

windows defender automatically scan thumb drives: plugged in USB thumb drive opened windows explorer right clicked drive scan with windows defender and it said scanning pc but it never shows any options so I dont know if it scanned pc or usb for sure why or not 42160