Windows 10: How to change a .package file back to an "Unknown application" when opened

Discus and support How to change a .package file back to an "Unknown application" when opened in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I decided one day to play around with my .package file and accidentally pressed an app for the "open with" option. Now all my .package files go... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Eva_43, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Eva_43 Win User

How to change a .package file back to an "Unknown application" when opened

Hi,

I decided one day to play around with my .package file and accidentally pressed an app for the "open with" option. Now all my .package files go into photo albums when opened. The icon of the .package files also look like the photo album icon. I have watched many videos and read many threads on how to fix this issue but for some reason when a solution works for others it doesn't for me. For example, I watched a video explaining how to do the exact thing I want done. To revert my .package files back to being the default without a program to open it with. The video explains how you open up regedit into the search bar for Windows. The video then explains these further steps:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.package

For me, since my issue has to do with the .package files, I went into the .package key. I later followed the instructions on deleting the UserChoice key and subkeys. I then deleted the subkeys in the OpenWithList key except for the top once that is called the DEFAULT subkey, as what was instructed by many forums and on this video. After doing all that and restarting my computer, the .package files still have the photo album icon and still has the photo album as its program to always open with. The first time I restarted my computer and nothing seemed to have changed, I went back into regedit to see if the files were there that I just deleted. They weren't. I then click on one of the .package files and it automatically opened up in photo albums. I decided one again to look into regedit and found that the subkey files in the OpenWithList had reappeared. No matter how many times I delete them they reappear if I click on the file. If I don't click on the file, the subkeys remain deleted but the .package files still have the photo album icon and still open in photo albums automatically.

Because of the icon problem I decided to watch a video on how to change the file icon back to its default. I followed all these steps in the video and surprise, but nothing changed either. In that video you are instructed to go here %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local in task manager. (to run a new task) Then you are instructed to delete the IconCache. I did that which should have put all icons back to their defaults. That did not work for my .package files either. I am at a loss and have run out of ideas on how to fix this. It anyone has any suggestions that were not mentioned in this post I would be happy to hear it. And again, what I want to be fixed are my icons for my .package files and would not like them to automatically be opened in photo albums. I want the .package to go back to its defaulted icon and to NOT open with ANY programs.

Thank you for reading this.

:)

Eva_43, Jul 10, 2018
  2. jfl_805 Win User

unknown application opens a file

I dragged a downloaded virus free cursor file from my laptop desktop (windows 10) into the windows cursor folder. Once I did that every windows default cursor file with the exception of four changed to internet explorer 'e' view and now 'opens with' internet
    explorer. Although the actual appearance of the cursors and names of them once I double click on one has not changed, the initial appearance of them in the window is of the msie 'e' view. I don't know why 4 or five of the windows default cursors appearance
    did not change with the others. I tried to change them back to the windows default but all the cursor files open with "unknown application". I don't know what the unknown application windows uses to open the cursor files is. The 'open with' option in the property
    selection for these cursors is now the internet explorer 'e'. How can I get these cursors to open with the default 'unknown application' in windows and get them back to their default view?

jfl_805, Jul 10, 2018
  3. How to change a file's open with program to when i first downloaded it

Hello, i'm wondering if it is possible to change a open with option back to unknown application on some files. i accidentally clicked open with the picture opener and its stuck on it now. how can i revert this? step by step if possible.

Thank you.

yoyomomishungry, Jul 10, 2018
  4. How to change a .package file back to an "Unknown application" when opened

Change default application back to "unknown" for file type of .dst

I some how changed file type .dst to open with Corel Draw. I need to change it back to unknown application. I am operating with Windows 10. I have tried going through control panel/default programs/ however it forces me to pick an application, no option for "unknown application".

MVP SPORTS GROUP, Jul 10, 2018
Thema:

How to change a .package file back to an "Unknown application" when opened

1. How to change a .package file back to an "Unknown application" when opened - Similar Threads - change package file

2. How to change files back to open with another app?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to change files back to open with another app?: Hello,I was trying to open up a file and the prompt asked me what app I wanted to open up the file with. I accidently hit notepad and now those files will only open with notepad. Anyone know how to change that? Thank you in advance....
  3. How to change files back to open with another app?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to change files back to open with another app?: Hello,I was trying to open up a file and the prompt asked me what app I wanted to open up the file with. I accidently hit notepad and now those files will only open with notepad. Anyone know how to change that? Thank you in advance....
  4. How to change files back to open with another app?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Unknown file opens when i turn on pc

Unknown file opens when i turn on pc: so i started having this weird thing happen where this file that's name is my name Andy opens when i turn on my pc, when i log in it asks what program i want to use to open the file, the file type is just file and this is whats inside it, could someone please help, is it a...
  6. Unknown application

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unknown application: Hi everyone, When I run my Task Manager, I often see this Process called "YellowMind", and when expanded it displays a gear icon named "OakomsRabbitechnologiesSNP". When I locate the program file location, it takes me to a path C: > ProgramData >...
  7. How do I turn my files back into .package?

How do I turn my files back into .package?: So originally, my files were .package files but i accidentally double clicked it and then i didnt know how to click off of it so i clicked internet explorer then every one of my .package files turned into internet explorer icons. Yes ive already tried the registry editor...
  8. File was not backed up due to being open by an application

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File was not backed up due to being open by an application: File was not backed up due to being open by an application https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-was-not-backed-up-due-to-being-open-by-an/6932a825-8d24-4e71-a6fe-2c58043b1b0c
  9. How do I change my .package file back to what it was originally.

How do I change my .package file back to what it was originally.: If anyone can help me it would be amazing. So what happened is I was downloading cc for sims 4, I accidentally pressed open with and it turned my .package files into the Internet Explorer picture, I can't change it back and I have searched various websites and youtube videos,...
  10. Change default application back to "unknown" for file type of .dst

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change default application back to "unknown" for file type of .dst: I some how changed file type .dst to open with Corel Draw. I need to change it back to unknown application. I am operating with Windows 10. I have tried going through control panel/default programs/ however it forces me to pick an application, no option for "unknown...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to change my downloads back to package

2. how to change a file to open with unknown application

3. how to the change files that the file is unknown

4. bring file back to unknown application,
  5. how to change the program to open file to unknown,
  6. change file opens with to unknown application,
  7. How do I change opening my video files to unknown application