Windows 10: How to change Account Name and User Name?

Discus and support How to change Account Name and User Name? in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I am the sole user of my pc. Under Settings/Accounts my name is:- John Smith my email address Administrator Q1 How do I change this to... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by pjcactus, Dec 13, 2015.

1. pjcactus Win User

How to change Account Name and User Name?

I am the sole user of my pc.

Under Settings/Accounts
    my name is:-
    John Smith
    my email address
    Administrator

Q1 How do I change this to just:-
    Pete
    Administator?

Under This PC
    I have drives C, F and G
    In C the user is called John
    In F user called Pete
    In G user called Pete
    Q2 How do I rename user John to Pete?

Thanks, Pete

:)

pjcactus, Dec 13, 2015

2. How to change User File name of the User Account in Windows 10.

Hi Owan,

Thank you for your response with the current status of the issue.

I suggest you to enable the default Administrator account and then try to perform the below steps to edit the user folder name. Check if it helps.

Step 1: I recommend you to enable the default administrator account and try to delete the extra account.

1. Press Windows Key + X Key.

2. Click on Command Prompt(Admin).

3. Type the following command and hit on Enter Key:

net user administrator /active:yes

4. Sign out the current use account and try to sing in with default administrator account which will be displayed as Administrator in the login page.

Step 2: After login to the default administrator account, please to try to perform the below steps again and check if it helps.

Try to rename the folder by following below steps.

1. Open File Explorer and then open User profile folder.

2. Click on the user folder, then tap on F2 Key.

3. Try to rename the folder and hit on Enter Key.

4. If prompted for administrator permission, then click on Continue.

When you are done with the troubleshooting the issue. Then try to disable the Default Administrator account.

1. Press Windows Key + X Key.

2. Click on Command Prompt(Admin).

3. Type the following command and hit on Enter Key:

net user administrator /active:no

4. Then Restart your Computer.

Discalimer: If you face any difficulties in logging to the user account after changing the user name through Default Administrator, then try to change the name of user name back to its original user name.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Dec 13, 2015
  3. WSben Win User
    How to change User File name of the User Account in Windows 10.

I changed the folder name but I cannot login. An error message pop up 「We cannot log in your account」(I am using Chinese Version and this is translation) I can only log out or user temp account.

What can I do now?

WSben, Dec 13, 2015
  4. davidhk Win User

Under Accounts, your name is John Smith.
    Isn't there the option "Edit name" right under John Smith ?

Settings > Accounts > right side, Manage my Microsoft account > left side, under your name, Edit name.

How to change Account Name and User Name? [​IMG]

I don't know about changing user name.

davidhk, Dec 13, 2015
  5. pjcactus Win User
    Tried that but that insists I add a surname in addition to Pete!?

pjcactus, Dec 13, 2015
  6. davidhk Win User
    Sorry. I have no answer for that.

davidhk, Dec 13, 2015
  7. Edwin New Member
    Use an AltCode character

Edwin, Dec 13, 2015
  8. Edwin New Member

The email, you can't do anything about except create an alias.

Mine is 2 AltCode characters! *Wink

Edwin, Dec 13, 2015
  9. pjcactus Win User
    ok thanks..
    Account is now Pete1 How to change Account Name and User Name? :)

Any thoughts on changing User name?
    Cheers, Pete
    =========
    Under This PC
    I have drives C, F and G
    In F user called Pete
    In G user called Pete

pjcactus, Dec 13, 2015
  10. Edwin New Member
    Do you mean the folder?
    You don't really need to.
    Unless it bugs you that the folder is named John, then you'll have to create another Admin account and then delete the current one; but it may not go that simple.
    I would just forget about the folder, or clean install and start from scratch.

Edwin, Dec 13, 2015
  11. pjcactus Win User
    Unsure what you mean "Do you mean the folder?"

As per my original note..
    Under This PC
    I have drives C, F and G
    In F user called Pete
    In G user called Pete

I am the only user, I am the administrator etc but the user name shown in the C drive is John and I want to change that to Pete.

Pete

pjcactus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. How to change Account Name and User Name? - Similar Threads - change Account Name

2. Change user account name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change user account name: A long time ago, I named my user andre and signed-in with my microsoft account. there was a typo and it was suppose to be andrew. now my user folder is named andre on every new PC I buy as I have to sign in with a MSFT account. Anyway to fix this?...
  3. Change user account name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change user account name: A long time ago, I named my user andre and signed-in with my microsoft account. there was a typo and it was suppose to be andrew. now my user folder is named andre on every new PC I buy as I have to sign in with a MSFT account. Anyway to fix this?...
  4. Changing names of user accounts

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Changing names of user accounts: Is it OK to change the name of a user in the ‘users’ section of File Explorer inside This PC/Windows? I have one listed as ‘new user’ and would rather give it a more meaningful name....
  5. Change name of user account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Change name of user account: I have an admin user account named "Admin". After I created it, I linked it with my Microsoft account which bears the name of "Shmuel". However, the system still calls the account "Admin". For instance, the path is C:\Users\Admin I want to change the name to "Shmuel", because...
  6. How to change the name of a standard user account?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    How to change the name of a standard user account?: Please advise how to change the name of a Standard User Account in Windows 10. Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-change-the-name-of-a-standard-user-account/7d04fa11-d9c0-4f4a-afab-c36a71717fd2
  7. User Account Name Change

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    User Account Name Change: I just got this computer last week, and the last letter of my name is missing. I dont have an option to change it in the Control Panel, nor can I rename the folder through my drive. Is there another option?...
  8. Account name user name

Account name user name: You don't want to remove the account since it is your only one. Are you able to "Edit name" of your account online like below to change it to what you wanted instead? Change User Name of Account in Windows 10 Windows 10 Tutorials [img]
  9. User Account Name Change

User Account Name Change: Final result of this whole process: JUST CREATE A NEW USERNAME AND START ALL OVER. Weird/odd things keep popping up. The sound issue, random program errors, and random instability with Windows (I clicked the wifi button in notifications to turn it off the other day to move...
  10. Change user account name?

Change user account name?: Having created a Msoft admin account in form, say, def7936@...., I then created a local account with admin powers, which I called Forename. However I see that all my local account documents are in C:\users\def79, an abbreviation of the Msoft version, not Forename, as desired....